Clarifications on certificate attestation

Dear All

I have lost my Executive MBA convocation, it will take another 2 months to get duplicate copy of it. I have my marks sheet and provisional certificate of MBA. Can I get apostille on these. If ok, which document should be attested, I mean Mark sheet or provisional.

I was also told by VFS attestation services at Chennai that the attestation process is - SDM signature and MEA attestation for apostille for Oman. I read somewhere that HRD is also required. Is this the regular process.

Please help, iam running out of time

Thanks

Dear Salesandme

Most importantly , was MBA a pre-requisite for this role ?
If Yes, you are in a tricky situation now . Marksheet or provisional certificate will not work .

I landed up in a similar scenario.
In India, for most jobs a provisional cert is a valid document . Since I got a job outside my hometown, I never bothered to come back and collect my certificate . For a good 25 years or so ....I was blissfully asleep. During this period I changed 10 jobs and no one asked me either (both national and International). During this period , I had also done several Global certifications relevant to my area of work .

When it came to labour clearance for Oman, I was told , they would need attested copy of original MBA certificate (Which , in my view was far less important than  US regulator conducted certifications as far as the job is concerned). Any amount of explanation wouldn't help there . My MSc certificate wouldn't help either . Since this was a Financial Services Job, they asked for a business degree (MBA).

However, with the help of a Univ Prof. I was able to get a duplicate from the office of the University !
I was worried as it was embossed as "DUPLICATE" on the face of the certificate . Somehow , that did not prove to be fatal ! :)

So, in summary , if there is another degree certificate which might make the MBA certificate redundant, please submit that. Or else, as you try to push your luck with a provisional , in the background, do progress with your duplicate certificate too . ( Based on the lapse of time from the date of award , some Universities may not even write "Duplicate" . If I remember, in my case, I was told, since it is more than 5 years, they will not even try to retrieve and issue a duplicate .

Best wishes.

Missed out the other part on attestation
You need not worry about the chain . If you can get it done from HRD of the state , you save some money and shorten the chain. Even otherwise , its not an issue.

If you are not in the same state from where you got the degree and cannot get it attested by Education department, it will cost you some money (this varies from agency to agency).

The agency I went through had the following services:

Process Type A:

SDM  + Apostille : ( Short cut way...some countries do not accept by this (including Oman) cuz   Ministry will stamp " MEA accept no responsibility for the above contents " Time Duration:  5 DaysCharge : Rs. 4500/-

Process Type B:

Notary + Home Department+ Divisional Magistrate + Apostille , New Delhi ( Ministry of External Affairs )( Valid for all GCC Member Countries including Oman )Time Duration:  7  Days Charge: Rs. 5500/-

Though they mentioned 7 days, they did it in Mumbai in 3 days . I did not get it couriered to me but asked one of my friends to pick it from their Mumbai Office and courier it to my employers in Muscat.

However, in the forum I have seen members suggesting much cheaper options.
You can also Google and a whole host of agencies will pop up for the services.

Best Wishes

Thanks IndianWanderlust

That was very neat information you provided,

I don't know if MBA is a must for my role. I am joining as a manager-sales in Oman with a salary of 1000 OMR with company provided accomodation. And yes, I am going ask my employer if MBA it is a must now. Maybe I will ask him 2 months time to provide it.

I am residing in Chennai. I did my BE in Karnataka and distance MBA from Tamilnadu in 2011. BE docs no issues, only MBA

I visited this VFS global (authorized by MEA - as per MEA's website for attestations) and they said the process A (which you provided) would suffice for oman with a fees of 7000 Rs per document. You know a lot of other agents I met were asking for anything not less than 12000 per document.

is it possible to get HRD attestation directly without going through agents?

Where did you attest, it looks far cheaper. Can you provide the agents name/contact

Thanks

Yes , it is possible to go to the education department directly . Some of my friends did it .
But I didn't have the time and energy ....hence I opted for the easier route of an agent .

I was in Chennai when I did it . But this agent is in Mumbai . They got it collected through Blue dart.
The charges include courier charges.

Phone : +91 22 65340783 / 67259676. Mo. 09979777748

For sending it to Oman . If you choose a good courier ( DHL/Bluedart / TNT Global) , you end up spending about 2 to 3K based on who you selceted.

Aramex or First Flight will be wee bit cheaper . ( First Flight will charge you based on the service selected - they use Aramex for Normal and DHL for express. ).

Talk to them. They will mail you the details .

I did find more agencies (mind you, all of them are MEA approved ), but since I had no clue as to which one is better, I just happened to go with these guys .

Hope this helps.

Thanks IndianWanderlust

I just spoke to my MD at Oman and he said BE convocation is enough, no need MBA. So that solves my problem.

Meanwhile i will get my MBA convocation to avoid any future problems.

thanks for your help. Thank you very much especially for suggesting if MBA is really required.

thanks

My Pleasure ....Best of luck !