Best way to earn a income whilst a expat

Im looking to move to the Philippines permanent and wondered what would be the best way to earn a income to support myself?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

For myself, what has worked for me since 2010 is Odesk now called Upwork it is an online employment agency showcasing jobs you can send a proposal to, which is a fancy word for application. They take 10% off the top of your hourly wage. But I have worked as much as I wanted to since 2010,

It all depends where you want to live, city beach, Island  or countryside.I would come and visit a few places first, talk to expats who are working here mainly guys in Manila.

What are your skills?

Thanks for the great advice.

I have skills in business management and finance. Also as a personal carer to supplement my income here.

I will be looking to move to manila.

One of the highest paying jobs and easiest jobs is in a call center industry.

Actually, We are looking for German Speaking people or other foreign languages speakers who would like to work in Manila. The position will be as Customer service representatives. I wanna know if this is something you're interested in.
. Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.
ahlyz13 wrote:

Actually, We are looking for German Speaking people or other foreign languages speakers who would like to work in Manila. The position will be as Customer service representatives. I wanna know if this is something you're interested in.
. Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Hello

I invite you to drop an advert in the appropriate field of the site : Jobs in Philippines so as to reach out to all those subscribed seeking this job position.

Regards
Kenjee

Hi, my skills are technical in Electronics Design Engineering and very good verbal skills with a BS degree in Physics.  An aptitude for languages with Russian and some Japanese in the past.
Also, have done most of my own vehicle repairs in the past.
Thanks!

Reason : off topic + publicity of services not allowed on forum

Hello

Yes I would be interested.  Im Australian so I speak with a Australia accent.  I have had experience working in call centres here in Australia having worked with travel agency on the phone booking cruise ship holidays.

Shane

Reason : Sharing of external links and promotion of services not allowed on the forum
Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : promoting your services freely on the forum is not allowed.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello sbleakley21

you may wish to contact me at [email protected] to give further information regarding your interest in my business opportunities.

I am understanding you that I can drop an advertisement of my Business Opportunity?

sbleakley21 wrote:

Hello

Yes I would be interested.  Im Australian so I speak with a Australia accent.  I have had experience working in call centres here in Australia having worked with travel agency on the phone booking cruise ship holidays.

Shane

I had a friend working in a call centre in Manila.  She was earning about 20,000 pesos per month. Considered quite high by some.

ahlyz13 wrote:

One of the highest paying jobs and easiest jobs is in a call center industry.

Highest paying job? Not really.
Easiest? Absolutely NOT.

Taking calls is a stressful job. In your own country, have you called customer service for a technical problem, say about your cable or satellite connection or over billing where you were irate and raised your voice? That's what they have to deal with every day. Sometimes, customers take it personally, adding even more stress to the agent. Female agents would even cry sometimes.

Odd hours i.e. graveyard shift, which changes every 1 to 2 weeks, will mess up your natural sleep patterns. It can even shorten your life. And for what? 16k pesos starting salary for a first time agent. If you want a better salary or incentives, you have to make sales, i.e. push the products of your client, which you could lose if you do not meet the metrics or minimum stats for customer satisfaction rating.

You can be alienated from your family, not being able to attend family gatherings because you either have to sleep (lunch time gatherings) or are at work (evening parties). There are times when you might not "see" your spouse or significant other if he / she works regular hours. The agent could be asleep when the spouse comes home from work.The spouse will already be asleep when the agent wakes up. When the agent comes home from work, the spouse would have already left for work.

Call centers are open every day, even Christmas and New Year. So you will be asked to choose which one you'd like to take as vacation. (You can't take both days off.) You can be given a warning if you have more than 1 absence a month. Team leaders and managers have better salaries. Their performance is based to their team's metrics. Among many other tasks, he / she will have to make sure his / her agents show up for work every day and on time and help them improve their stats.

Most useful benefit: free healthcare insurance.

How do I know this? My husband works for a call center. I hate it. I wish he would just resign since we can still live well with just my income. My husband does not seem to accept the cons and does not seem to realize the negative effects on him and us. I sometimes think his brain has turned to mush from the messed up sleep patterns over the length of 5 years.

put up grocery store

follow your heart. follow your passion. then find a good location. :)

what can do a mechanic engineer in philippines?

Personally, I'm retired, 66 years old, and get two relatively small pensions from the US.   I don't have to work and have not since I moved here in 2012.  I have a touch of arthrities also and this keeps me down a little.
        Sometimes I do get the urge though but it is hard to get a job like teaching English here in Phil.  I am well qualified for such a position as I hold a doctorate and an ESL Certificate.   However, it is my feeling most schools do not want to hire a foreigner.   We make them nervous and they would rather hire someone, many are available, that speaks their language and is related to them or is a close friend of someone they know.  Yes, you could probably could get a job in a call center but, as the lady explained, it is not a cakewalk. 
      However, I realize some people HAVE to work and will strive to WORK right up until they physically can't do it anymore.  These work-addicted people, God bless them, do not feel right getting up in the morning only to feed the cats, sitting and drinking coffee the rest of the morning waiting for your wife to get up and cook and then working on some harmless hobby all day.  I paint pictures,mostly landscapes to pass the time and of course spend countless hours watching the BOOB TUBE.   I have a couple of friends and we drink beer usually to excess once or twice a month.   Trips to the grocery, laundry and keeping up with my 42 year old wife and her activities keeps me just busy enough.   That is my lifestyle for what it is worth.  Am I happy?  Well, as happy as I was in the US I guess.

Hi,

Read  your comment, do you think I could get a job there? I am a lecturer in mass Comm and I also have a doctorate in film studies

For those in Metro Manila and with "western" looks: eyes, nose, skin (especially blacks are needed)- you can pick up some pocket money working as an extra for tv and the movies. You 'do' need to be able to get around a bit and not mind long hours on set. Send me a message (maybe a picture) and I'll forward your number to a talent coordinator. It can be a lot of fun and you'll meet some Filipino stars.

Lot's of ideas... I have been thinking of running a small business, like investing in a fishing boat together with a local business partner, sharing the roles so I'll do the commercial part and my partner communicates with the crew and the captain... A boat costs 350k php including a good diesel, 50 big nets and an ice box and will be paid within 1,5 years with a good crew and a good fishing water like west Samar ... and a high safety level not risking the crew or the boat.

And when its not fishing season I can mix that with a mini farm where a farm care taker earns part of the production -My role is to add the capital to good farming land (49% capital land ownership limit can be handled I think) and I'll do the commercial part, selling part of the production using my sarisari shop or to other distributors, depending on what kind of products and the business size... fruit, vegs, chicken, eggs, pork...

Or running a small resort addressing european guests that I know how to satisfy...

The concept is mixing my commercial knowledge and some capital with business relationships where I buy production knowledge, administrative paper handling services and tagalog...

Would be interesting to hear your comments :-)

hi, how do I send you my photo

do you circulate 350 k in fishing, farming, and land   turn by turn

I am not an agent or talent coordinator. I'm just an actor playing a westerner in the background (they call us 'talents'). If you are in the Philippines and have a cell phone number I will forward that to a talent coordinator or two that I know and then they will send you a text asking for your details. It's best if you have a facebook page as the tc's will show that to directors. Or they will tell you how to send photos. Each one works a little differently but those are the basics. If you are not yet in the Philippines don't send your number, they are very busy and if you don't answer their texts they won't use you. Also, tell them your languages and accents.

I tried that, and the pay was so low I couldn't believe it. They seem to be after third world people who will work for slave wages.

Edit: Sorry, this was meant to be a reply to the post about working for Odesk. The pay per word is really low, as I recall you would be lucky to make a few dollars for an hour's work. This could be good pay for a Filipino, but not for an American.

I worked for many years in the U.S. as a scientist, and spent a lot of time writing grants and editing the papers of non-native English speakers, so I'm very experienced in writing. Odesk did not look like a good opportunity at all to me.

I have tried several businesses in the Philippines. The best was importing silicone from Malaysia and selling it to doctors in the Philippines for plastic surgery. The profits were really good, and we made about P1,000,000 in less than a year--with the promise of more as we invested more. But then the doctors who had promised to buy our last shipment, in a typically Filipino move, went abroad for training, and left us holding about P500,000 in stock. They kept saying they would return, and never did.

We also got stiffed by an insurance company. The silicone is shipped to the Philippines, and occasionally some of it is damaged en route. As a result, we took out insurance on it. But the insurance company, which owed us P200,000 for damaged goods, never paid it. Many other customers were also cheated. We tried hiring a lawyer, but that didn't help, and was just a waste of more money. This unfortunately is all too common in the Philippines.

Fortunately, my investments in America do much, much better. I mainly got into business over here as something to do, but I would consider myself in a very bad situation if I had to make money here. You may have heard of the old joke, there are three ways to make money in the Philippines:

Drug Lord
Gambling Lord
Praise the Lord

true

Interesting experiences... Well thats why my concept is based on risk sharing - to avoid being fooled I contract a local who is responsible for the production and gets his share - the better he works the more both he an I get...

my experience foreigner can  not earn money in philippines,they are top class swindler

domestic helper file case on me with out reason and  she get 100 k  and social welfare. 120 k fasical , i pay 220000 pesos+ agemt 5000  total 225000 pesos, corrupt low to high

I looked at odesk and quite frankly the lower your quote the best chance of getting work. Not tempting enough for me.I had a taxi and jeepney company in Cebu, started off well but wow you need eyes everywhere, from swapping parts between cars so you buy new and the old part put on another car so you buy another leaving mechanic with serviceable sellable part, swapping tyres etc. Cars being abandoned maybe a week before you find with stuff missing,. So if you want transport keep small 2 or 3 cars that you can service and repair yourself.

I am sorry for your experience with O desk wasn't what you expected. I have three contacts paying between $10.00 and $7.50  per hour  that I  earn money from, which is enough for me, I can make right around $1000 a month, it is good enough for me.

Sorry I meant $1000 a month not $100

ah ok that's good for you. I really just want something to do now. A bit bored with toooooo much time on my hands. Maybe I will look at o desk again

Sure you have to pick and choose to get what you want for me, I want something during daylight hours here, my profile is $10.00 per hour but I have three current contracts one at $8.00 and one more at $7.50, and one at $10.00 per hour just be selective.