Picking up rental car STI

Buy the local insurance,  that way you know it will cover you.  Outside insurance  often is a struggle.  Sorry we missed that.

Yes buy it here. 

Bob K

jennmargar wrote:

I don't think anyone answered my question though. I will be driving (carefully) but should I get the insurance through Expedia or wait until I get there?

Just my feeling, but I'd go with something international, and not count on a Dominican product paying off in case of an accident.
Just my feeling.  Dingo El Gringo

Exactly the opposite  Dingo  local products are made for here. Go with a reputable company and you are fine.  International car insurance MAY be an issue. Sometimes you pay up front and get money back. Often no one speaks Spanish so how does the local person (ie police) speak with your insurance company etc etc.....   And they will not understand the local customs  - like go to jail ask questions later.

Your rental car will be from a brand name rental company such as Avis, or Hertz. I had booked through Priceline but the rental company was Ace. I would take the insurance direct with the rental company avoiding any third party if you have to make a claim. You can call the number on your confirmation email to compare costs.

Thanks for all the advice, I will be getting the insurance directly from Avis when I arrive.

Dingo planner is correct the local products work the international ones many times do not.

Bob K

jennmargar   Good plan

Bob K

Okay...reusing a former thread...and in light of Planner's car troubles...Does anyone know of someone (a Dominican) with a pick up truck who would be interested in being hired for a day to drive my husband and some appliances and mattresses ( possibly ) to our house in Cabrera from STI on December 18th?