Picking up rental car STI

My better half is flying in on a red-eye flight from states to Santiago and is scheduled to pick up a rental car. We've rented a car before, but flew into PUJ. Will the car rental place be open in the wee hours? Should he just hang out at airport until sunrise to avoid driving at night? We've experienced East Santo Domingo at 5 PM...and he's prepared for that adventure again, but, we don't want to risk everything because a cheap flights.

I doubt you will find anyone there until 8 or 9 AM.  You should check with the rental company you are booking with and see what they have to offer for suggestions.  There are some restaurants in the terminal but I am not sure of their hours.  Someone else will pipe in some more details for you.

Cheers,

Not sure anything (restaurants etc) will be open.  Car rental... most likely NOT and DO NOT attempt to drive from STI at that hour of the night.

Bob K

Don't drive because of road conditions, traffic, mountain roads, crime??  All of the above?  I need more specifics to try to dissuade my husband from trying it.  He's driven in many countries and always feels up to the task...but, if you think he'll be targeted for a car jacking or something...then let me know?

The WHO has just put out a list where the DR is the most dangerous place in the WORLD to drive.  Not car jackings but accidents.

Roads in may places are in poor condition, lighting is bad, no signs. and most laws are disregarded by the locals, especially the motos.

Bob K

Bob said it!!!  And don't drive at night when you don't know exactly where you are going and know the roads well! It's not worth the cheap flight.

brodies2013 wrote:

Don't drive because of road conditions, traffic, mountain roads, crime??  All of the above?  I need more specifics to try to dissuade my husband from trying it.  He's driven in many countries and always feels up to the task...but, if you think he'll be targeted for a car jacking or something...then let me know?

Twice in third world countries I have had an agreement with the car rental office that there would be someone to deliver the car at 2:00 AM or so, and both times they weren't. Neither was in the DR, Panama and Ecuador) but I'd expect the same here.  The Republic is full of fear mongers!  Be afraid be very afraid, too bad we don't GW to color code the fear level for us.  I am an old guy who drives all over the country at night. Yes there are holes in the road big enuff to bust a wheel in (I've done that too.) And burros and cows and drunks wandering around the roads, but in 4 years I have seen 2 bad accidents only. What city in the USA can you drive for 3 weeks without seeing a turned over car etc... Take a taxi to the nearest Cabana, and sleep til the sun comes up arrange for the taxista to come back at 8:30 AM and take you back to your reserved car.  Maybe $20.0 for 2 taxi rides and the cabana.

Good advice...we were thinking the same for our next trip...and now we know the fastest route to the autopista...to avoid the side roads to Moca.  My husband made it though...!  Alamo is 24/7 at STI.  But, yes, roads to the north coast very hazardous. He got his car and just rested in it  at the rental car parking lot until the sun came up.  Car pick up and drop off very easy, right at entrance.

brodies2013 wrote:

Good advice...we were thinking the same for our next trip...and now we know the fastest route to the autopista...to avoid the side roads to Moca.  My husband made it though...!  Alamo is 24/7 at STI.  But, yes, roads to the north coast very hazardous. He got his car and just rested in it  at the rental car parking lot until the sun came up.  Car pick up and drop off very easy, right at entrance.

Good to know and pass on.  If you get there and find it is no longer a fact, please let us all know here. Thanks
Deryl

Glad he made that choice because in that game of chance he would have been holding "ACES & 8's". Not a propitious hand as Wild Bill found out.  Have fun, laugh a lot & be happy that you are here.

Make sure you have the FULL insurance package and do not rely on you home insurance or your credit card insurance.

Bob K

Bob K wrote:

Make sure you have the FULL insurance package and do not rely on you home insurance or your credit card insurance.

Bob K

Even when I had "Full insurance" when I brought the car back they found a bulge on the inside of the tire, and charged me for the tire. I figure they charged the next guy for the same tire and the next one after that and the ...

Yep 12 people bought a new tire :D:D:D

Bob K

I drive to POP at night sometimes from STI  when here in the DR.

In the states I drive in a parking lot of a school with over 3500 high school students with cars, dodging crazy parents and their cars, in the fog, in the dark, and in the snow. All this with a 40 foot bus with 60 plus students on board. Oh, of course this is in a country where a slight fender bender might put you on the hook for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Take your pick.

Any occurrence that has happened, there is an advantage in having a native Dominican on board. Especially when they have an 5 acre voice. 

When we returned the rented car the first time, there was the shuffle play. It lasted seconds. The voice spoke, and everything was fine.

Unfortunately not everyone, especially visitors/tourists have a "voice" they can rely on.

Bob K

However even though a native voice can be useful, wisdom needs to be applied when considering driving at night. I have had a man fall off his moto, completely intoxicated, rub his head and continue on. Also have been to two funerals in which young men less than 20 who had chosen motos as their survival and entertainment. The anguished mourning of their mothers is heart wrenching. Going to POP on my first night driving escapade was just that. I must admit even though I drive for a living, night time driving is not in your favor. Really over here where there is no honor for proper navigation of ones vehicle, its a demolition Derby for sure. Proper pre trip inspections are a not even practiced for buses with air brake systems either. My confidence in this form of transportation is less than my ability to drive myself.

One dark night before 10:00 PM I was going east out of Sosua toward Cabarete and making a curve there were 2 trucks side by side coming at me, I jogged toward the shoulder and hit a moto without any lights. He didn't go down, but wobbled a bit back and forth. I stopped and flagged him down and gave him 1000 Pesos and suggested he buy a taillight or a coffin. And told him if he wanted to suicide he didn't need to make me  apart of it.

Hello all,

We are flying into Punta Cana and will need a car. Does anyone have any recommendations on a company to rent from or a contact? We are staying at a resort, better to pick up at the airport or somewhere else?

Thanks

I would suggest a big name company only!

And make sure you get the full insurance package.  Your home insurance and Credit card insurance are pretty useless here.  Also make sure the insurance includes "casa de conductore".  Here if in an accident (with injuries or major damage) all parties go to jail till they can figure it out (read here how to find the gringo/tourist at fault and how much it is going to cost him).  With this on your policy you actually are transferred to a hotel in Santo  Domingo for your "jail" time.  Do know that if this happens on a Friday or weekend you may spend a day or two in jail.

Bob K

Thanks all, I will reach out when we arrive. Drinks are a must!

Oh yes they are!!!!!  woooooo hooooo

I rented from Ace Car Rental, or Nelly as they are known in DR. I found them to be very good and helpful. Planner is right, take full insurance. There number is 809-586-0505.

I will be in punta Cana and rented a car with Avis through Expedia. Expedia is offering insurance. Should I buy through Expedia or wait until I am in RD? How much does insurance typically cost there? I will be going dec/Jan months and this is my first time ever renting a car.

Insurance will just about double the quoted rate.

Be very careful if this is your first time driving here.  Have you been to the PC area before?

Bob K

Yes this will be my 6th time in PC.

Im used to driving in crazy and congested areas since I live in a big city here in the states but I still am a little nervous but I'll be going to SD and San Pedro during my trip so a car is necessary.

So should I get the insurance through Expedia?

Do you speak Spanish? Driving is dangerous here, be very careful. Or hire someone to drive the car.

Yes I do speak Spanish. I have heard that it is dangerous after reading this blog and a few others. My local friends beg to differ but they drive mopeds so... I guess we will see.

jennmargar wrote:

Yes this will be my 6th time in PC.

Im used to driving in crazy and congested areas since I live in a big city here in the states but I still am a little nervous but I'll be going to SD and San Pedro during my trip so a car is necessary.

So should I get the insurance through Expedia?

I don't find the driving here any worse than elsewhere. Back in the USA i  cannot imagine driving in  Miami or Memphis or Minneapolis for 3 weeks without seeing a bad accident, but here in almost 4 years I have seen a few fender benders, but never a serious accident.

It will help you speak Spanish.  Your friends drive passolas and may not even have a license.

DR has the highest death rate on the road, that should tell you everything.

planner wrote:

It will help you speak Spanish.  Your friends drive passolas and may not even have a license.

DR has the highest death rate on the road, that should tell you everything.

Panama also claims that distinction.

Well maybe we are number 2!  It's damn dangerous!!!

planner wrote:

Have you personally seen an overturned car here? Or one car T-Boned into the aside of another? Or a bus on its side? Or a police car jammed against a bridge abutment because he was in hot pursuit?  I have not met any body here who has, but I repeat that in any USA city you will see one of these every month or more often.  87. 4 per cent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

DingoElGringo wrote:
planner wrote:

Have you personally seen an overturned car here? Or one car T-Boned into the aside of another? Or a bus on its side? Or a police car jammed against a bridge abutment because he was in hot pursuit?  I have not met any body here who has, but I repeat that in any USA city you will see one of these every month or more often.  87. 4 per cent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Yes I see it all the time.  Plus driving in Santo Domingo is just nuts. 

Bob K

Moto fatalities are included in the WHO data base. I have been to two funerals and have knowledge of two others who have died in the line of suvival just since August. Just yesterday í was informed of another serious accident via an aquiantence here in Expat.com. I had a moto scrape the whole side of a rented car as he tried to squeeze between myself and another. I have an experience to share on "Its a wonderful Life" , at a later date regarding the motos. Yes í have seen horrific stuff, all be it was in the US. An accident with an other vehicle is not the most concerning thing when driving here. It is the motos and stuff parked at night along the roads with no lighting. Also people walking along the roads as the lighting is poor if there is any.Then there are the quads. These are all terrain vehicles sported by the younger attention hungry of DR youth and other more thrill seeking people. Your concern needs to include all of these factors. Not just the navigation of traffic complexities.

Bob must be right about SD. My future wife says we will not drive anywhere near there. Big bus and bigger bus. She is native. My comments also would be my observations in the Santiago area. I drive to Las Aguas Calientes all the time. This is different than city driving.

I have seen a tourist bus t-boned, numerous serious car accidents, lots of overturned cars, motoconcho accidents involvtng limbs smashed or missing, and 2 friends killed in motoconcho accidents!

Dingo do you not read the newspaper or watch the news? Those photos are graphic and NOT Made up.

planner wrote:

I have seen a tourist bus t-boned, numerous serious car accidents, lots of overturned cars, motoconcho accidents involvtng limbs smashed or missing, and 2 friends killed in motoconcho accidents!

Dingo do you not read the newspaper or watch the news? Those photos are graphic and NOT Made up.

No, although I can speak Spanish all day long I haven't learned enuff to be able to coherently read a newspaper, nor to understand the news on the radio, though it is on in the background almost all the time.

i would (and have tried) drive around Rome than SD.  Tried that once as well and never again.  Buses to SD are cheap and cabs to get around town even cheaper.  No need for a car there.

Bob K

I don't think anyone answered my question though. I will be driving (carefully) but should I get the insurance through Expedia or wait until I get there?