Next time it could be you!

I am warning people about the dangers of bag snatching around the Russian Market area. On Friday evening around 8pm whilst walking with my husband,  2 guys on a moto attempted to snatch my bag. The guy on the back grabbed it but it stayed around my neck and I was pulled onto the ground with tremendous force. I was dragged along the street for approx 30 yards with roughly 50 Khmer people standing and watching. No one came to help. I don't understand the mentality. How can people just stand there and do nothing? It seems no one wants to help. No one has lifted a finger to help any my friends who have been attacked. Eventually my husband was able to get closer to the moto after running down the street after me. My weight was slowing it down. The thief finally let go and I was left lying in the road. My injuries are pretty bad and will keep me off work. Please don't be complacent and think it won't happen to you. You may be next. If possible do NOT carry a bag. I also had a necklace ripped from me a few months go. I am an English teacher here living a peaceful life. I no longer feel safe at any time of the day or night and too scared to walk anywhere. These situations are becoming commonplace. All of my friends and colleagues have experienced an attack of some sort. Phnom Penh will soon have no foreigners willing to come and help their education system and economy. No one teaching their children English, no one staying in hotels, guesthouses long term, no one paying high rents because we like comfortable modern apartments, no one paying higher tuk tuk fares and spending the salary we have earned in their shops. When is the Government / Police going to do anything to help? I don't usually rant so much but want everyone to be so careful. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Next time it could be you.

Really sorry to hear. Thanks for sharing. Hope you are fine and things are getting resolved. All need to be careful!

Thank you Tazgam. Yes we all need to be careful.

Unfortunate nasty experience. However one should not become a prisoner in their apartment because of it. I have lived in the 3rd world for years and have heard a 1,000 stories like yours.
There are probably lots of reasons (poor excuses) why no Khmer ran to your aid; fear mostly I imagine. That said, half the time the person who "helps" you winds up stealing your stuff instead of the perpetrators. Trying to understand all that is maddening and pointless.
The main reason it happens is desperate poverty and ignorance, a problem you already recognize and are kindly dedicated to helping with. But of course the Khmer people out in the street, and the kids on the motorbike don't know anything about you.
The question is what can one do to prevent it from happening to you and the answer is lots, and pretty simple though not 100% fool-proof. Do everything you can to......prevent being a target.........
I am a man, when I go out I take no hand-bags of personal things, only what's in my pants pockets. What is in my pockets is cash, (no credit cards and the like), mobile phone and a passport copy. If I find it necessary to carry a bag of some sort (as many women routinely do) I carry it in my hand...never around my neck... and I always hold it on the side-walk edge of the street where it cannot be snatched by a passing motorbike (Carrying a long-slinged bag when you are on a motorbike is 100x as dangerous as walking with one). I never wear jewelry of any sort, that's a serious attention-getter and it tells a lot about you. You probably have no idea of the variety of dangerous people you attract everywhere you go when you wear jewelry. Try not to exhibit large wads of cash when paying for things. Don't leave your iphone and such on the table or bar even for one second. These are easy habits to get into.
Now you have nothing to draw the attention of thieves or contact with people who may have bad intentions.
Being a non-religious person I hesitate to quote the famous prophet, but "Lead them not into temptation."
There are other things you can do, try to make eye contact with everyone around you especially those approaching you. Learn to look in every direction when you are out in the street. Walk slowly and yield to everyone. You avoid contact and conflict that way. For instance, I commonly find it necessary to walk in the street. I always stop and give way to passing traffic including other pedestrians. I only step out there when the coast is completely clear.
There are other seemingly trivial hazards which can impact you life that are also easily avoided. For example; all of the years I have spent in the tropics I have never owned a pair of flip-flops or sandals or a pair of shorts; always socks, shoes and long pants. City streets or country-side are littered with hazards from broken glass to mosquitoes, even a small injury can have dire consequences and remember around here medical care sucks; which is a good reason to never get on a motorbike if you can avoid it.
My sympathy for your ordeal. I have found that with the great freedom and advantages we foreigners enjoy in Cambodia and such countries that you have to really take care of yourself cuz nobody else will. If you learn to see trouble coming you can usually avoid it.
Cheer up! Be happy!

Thank you for your advice Kevin and time and trouble formulating such a lengthy and informative reply. I will take on board what you have said and do my best to stay safe.

Saw such cases before in PP.
That is why should take precautions = i.e. NOT TO WEAR ANYTHING that may be interesting for thief.
No bag, No wallets outside, No smartphone  on the neck, no ipad-ipod.
As for me -I am keeping all in pockets.
Have no wallet.
Not interesting for thief. Poor barang.

As for the locals reaction and police - what can I say?
No one will struggle and fight for unknown foreigner here.
Asia.
100% agree with KevinAllen !
Absolutely right!

Yes please try to let it go! It happens not just in Cambodia ... The purse thing must be left out of a womans daily habit here in Cambo . They target woman more since they can see the purse as an easy target..... Its very hard in many places to contain these hoods on motorcycles..... my girlfriend had the same crossing a major street noredom with me at the traffic lights a year ago . I just happened to see the hand come out to grab her and fortunately pulled her back just enough to miss but he still scratched her near her throat . My biggest concern is the threat of being run over by another car when this kind of thing happens ! glad that didnt happen to you .. Heal and keep your head up!

So sorry this happened to you.

However, I'm not convinced people would help much more in other countries while the perpetrators are still speeding along on their bike.

In Cambodia, they certainly try to make up for it once the jao's are on the ground and it's safe for the crowd to administer "mass justice".

The best advice is for those with bags to not carry valuables, carry it on the side away from the traffic and carry.the bag in your hand (if you must carry one - much better leaving it) as KevinAllen first suggested.

First of all, I'm really sorry for your loss--the loss of your good health, the loss of your peace of mind and the loss of your confidence in your fellow men and women.  You would think that the urge to help someone in trouble would be universal.  It's not.  Cambodia doesn't have a norm of helping others in need.  I doesn't just hurt their development but it hurts their soul.  Confidence in anyone to do the right thing just isn't there.  I started a project when I was there called the Heroic Imagination Project.  I tried to teach young adults that no matter what, when you see someone do something that isn't right, stand up and do something about it.  I may have had a small impact but this kind of thing can make a difference.  If you are a teacher you can teach people to care.  I hope you don't give up but would certainly understand if you do.  Don't forget, a few years ago a woman was raped and murdered in New York's Central Park.  Despite hearing her screams for help, no one came to her aid.  When interviewed, people said, "I thought someone else would do something."  The Bystander Effect is powerful and real and it isn't just in Cambodia.  When we see some in distress or know something isn't right, don't look around to see what others are doing (probably nothing).  Create a new norm of helping when you see someone needs help!

Hope you fell better Paula... Plz dont give up on this country... There is so many good people who need you here!!

All good advices in this thread´... All should be followed!!

If i might ad just one extra advice - If you get into a mugging just give the bastards all you have and look down - a few years ago two young women was shoot cuz they wouldnt give up their bags.

I have been all over the world and taking the poverty into account this is still the most peacefull place iw been.... But the police sucks... if you offer them 200 usd they will round up the thief or another lowlife and parade him in front of you, but it might as well be an inocent they pick up so i would not recomend that option.. Be sure to report this attack to your respected embassy - they are the only ones who can push the police around..

again hope you get well soon paula :-)

All good advice.
I have lived in Sihanoukville 11 years now. Used be a much nicer city, now with the tourists popularity have come the villans. Recently my wife and I witnessed a bag snatch (lady) only 10 yards in front of us. We later found out it was the 10th that day.
Be aware the most people who have lived here for any length of time are convinced the the police are involved in the crimes and therefore "allow" it to continue. SV is a small town, most crime occur in the same areas (or same bars).  If the police were legitimate these crimes could be stopped in a very very short time with decoys and plain clothed police in wait.

If you have to carry an exposed shoulder strap bag then do as I have seen in other high crime cities. Add an additional waist strap sewn into the lower part of the bag. Carry the bag in front, shoulder straps around the back of your neck but then tie the additional strap around your waist. At speed the straps cannot be grabbed. My bag is this design and i have never had an attempted snatch.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply to me. I carry nothing now and feel less vulnerable. I am healing physically. Guess it might take a bit longer mentally. I'll get there. I love my job here and really would hate to give up and leave.

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to respond. I am healing physically and no longer carry anything. Guess it will take a little longer to heal mentally but I really don't want to leave if I can overcome my fears. I enjoy my job and adore all the Khmer children I teach. Thank you again. Keep safe. Best wishes Paula

Hi , I'm coming to Cambodia this week to start a new job . I'm a little concerned after hearing the bad experiences some people have had . Is it really that bad in the capital ?

You'll be fine. Remain cautious, be attentive, and think safety----just as we all should do regardless of continent, region, nation or city. I like Phnom Penh The splendid adventures while there certainly exceed the less-than-splendid experiences. Best to you in your new employment & location. KevinAlken's post above dated 25 October is a must-read.

No, it's not. Been visiting Cambodia since 2003, now own a house in Kampot. I never had even one seriously bad experience - However, that is me (and my karma) so far.

For me, the only caveat was - in Thailand though, where I had lived before and not Cambodia - learning that I do not wish to work under Thai administration (as a teacher) and that would probably apply to other Asian countries as well. Your job circumstances will have a great influence on how you will rate your whole stay, no doubt.

Whatever happens, see it as bad stuff leaving and don't see yourself as the target and of course, do good things, trust your instincts, learn the ways of the locals. 

Phnom Penh can be a bit overwhelming and annoying at first, the smaller cities are more relaxed. The traffic can be maddening, sidewalks aren't for walking anymore, motodop's will pester you for a fare at every turn, you might get overcharged, etc. It's super hot when it's hot and when it rains it really pours. As I once said to a friend, SE Asia is like a fruit potpourri that's all exotic, fragrant and beautiful to behold on top and the bottom is all rotten and smelly with life's perceived unfairness drastically revealed.

In the end, it may come down to how well one can adapt and how much one can/is willing to take - like a cost - benefit analysis. Is a poor country where many struggle to get by with all its uncertainties and shortcomings - but also lovely people, great landscapes and a place where you can find the life you always wanted, perhaps even a life partner - for you (short-term or long term)?

Only you will be able to answer that.

I truly hope you will be fine. Learn from my experience. Never carry a bag, wear jewellery, use your mobile phone on the street or openly carry a camera. Don't make yourself an attractive target for theives. They will be on motos and believe me they are fast and you won't see it coming if they choose to rob you. Just be careful and always aware if your surroundings. Welcome to Cambodia!!