How racist is the local Maldivians?

Hi all
My wife is a doctor and we were considering a move to Maldive. Until, we read few articles about the difficulties that the expats are experiencing with the local people in their daily lives when it comes to racism. Especially when it comes to doctors of foreign origin, it seems that Maldivians are treating them with hostility. I have read in few other places again, how its not safe to go out after certain hours, how the drug use is on the rise and how the youth gang violence is on the rise there.
Can you guys shed a light on this?
Thanks for your input

Hi bijen1971,

I am a local here in the capital city. I haven't heard or seen any racial attacks be it verbally or physically towards any foreigner. In fact, It would be a rare sight to see a local gawking at a foreigner just because he/she is from different ethnicity. I do have to say, there are a LOT of low wage laborers here. Mostly from the sub continent. 

As for hostile treatment towards doctors, err nope nothing like that! Working as a doctor in Maldives is more social thing than elsewhere. Most doctors are revered. I wouldn't worry about that either. If you could point me out where you heard this information I can give a more.. specific explanation on the matter.

You can go out after dark but there isn't much to do. Shops close by 10 and cafes by 12. It is safe, there won't be guys coming to mug or attack you just because he/she is a foreigner.
Regarding gang violence. There are attacks but they are not random. Most, if not all cases of gang violence are targeted. and only upon provocation. They don't attack foreigners.

All in all, Its a relatively safe place.
I am a local and perhaps my views are biased. I wouldn't experience how a foreigner would in my own country
maybe an expat could write theirs, it might be of more help :)

Thank you so much for your reply Amuze.
The article that gave a negative spin to this whole thing was:
http://minivannewsarchive.com/society/m … aims-44249

I guess the comments following this article were not that positive either. I understand that there are all kinds of people in every country and hostility comes in different forms. But then again you never know until you make the move.

Thanks again for your feedback

Bigen1971,

Always a pleasure to help.
Yeah that news source, i wouldnt call it .. reliable. They are politically motivated and promotes their own agenda. Bloat up incidents just to get a strong international response. They started out like that.

You can get some good information and news from : http://www.haveeru.com.mv/ (switch to english on the top left corner, If its not already)

Yes, exactly, there are all kinds. and it is completely understandable and wise not to move to a different country blindly. A little bit of information of the culture and people goes a long way!

good luck and hope you have a pleasant experience if you do decide to move in. :)