Dominican Republic Major Industries

Good afternoon everyone :)

O'k, I'm curious as to major industries that are in the DR.    Refineries?   PetroChemical plants?    Gas plants?

I have heard that there are 4-5 mines in the DR that are being management by Canadian companies.

Unfortunately my Spanish isn't good enough to 'read' what is on-line LOL.

As preparations continue for the full-time move to the DR, it also crossed my mind that I might find work as an employee or contractor at one of the oil & gas facilities or mine sites (30 years of experience in those areas) just to keep myself busy.

Can anyone enlighten me?     Thank you very much :)

First industry:  Tourism
Second:  Tourism.....
Third:  Free Trade Zone companies,  especially Call Centers.

We do rely heavily on tourism.  Mining is big,  Barrick Gold is our biggest player.  Google international mining companies operating in the Dominican Republic.

Refineries - don't think so.  Petro chem  - dont think so.  Gas plants -  nahhh

There is a port that is heavily involved in Natural Gas but more as a distribution center.

And there is a bit  of Biodiesel going on......

Thank you very much young lady  :D

Siempre  sir......LOL

Actually we do have a baby refinery in Haina. 30.000 bbls a day  Refidomsa Refinery so small the planner missed it

Thanks for the info! Cool.

Just found this  today - Revamping of our only refinery:  http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/econom … tput-by-26

1. Medina cuts ribbon for petrol refinery expansion
President Danilo Medina was present on Friday, 30 October 2015, at the ribbon-cutting ceremony marking the completion of the US$28.1 million expansion of the Dominican Petroleum Refinery (PDVSA), the Venezuelan-Dominican joint venture.

The refinery now has capacity to refine 34,000 barrels of crude a day, up from 27,000, an increase of 26%.

Read more in Spanish: http://www.listindiario.com/la-republic … restaurada

But Mr Smith do you have a work permit?  That is first. A bit of sales at time share places and maybe call center work maybe without a work permit, but not much more than that.
If you did find a job in your field it would probably pay less than $100.00 USD a week.

@Freedom55
Hi,
This interesting page will help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_o … Statistics

First thing: Good Spanish speaking is a MUST have (No chance to work in RD without spanish). If you are qualified with special skills it may help but you still need to be legally resident to work in RD. IF you are lucky you can earn up to some 600 US$/month.

This is about finding jobs in RD :

http://www.aldaba.com/index.php?lang=en … Dominicana

That is one of several  job posting sites.   

YES it is more and more critical you have residencia and your cedula.  Almost NO ONE will hire you without it.

Its hard enough for a Dominican to get a job let alone a foreigner. some of my relatives been trying for years. One lost his at the airport in ptopta and that was 5 years ago and no work since.

Yes it is very hard for many locals to find work.

Many do not look all that hare either :D

Bob K

Bob, congratulations on your depth of understanding of the culture, desires & ambitions of the people of the DR.  Unlike many people, you show amazing sensitivity to their lives & problems.  It is rare to witness such empathy towards the locals. You set an example of a paragon of virtue,  Thank you for sharing with us your view of Dominican life.

And he also happens to be right Gypsy.  There are many who simply do not look and then blame everyone and everything for it.   

There are also those who really truly try to find work!   

The ego here is very evident.  Many will not do work "beneath them" instead they stay home and wallow in self pity. I have personally seen it.  So Bob is a bit sarcastic but not wrong.

Thank you. 

We have an "adopted" daughter who is busting her butt looking for work so she can help support herself in school.  While we have another friend who complains that he can only find menial jobs and it is not worth his effort.  So sits on the corner with his cronnies and complains

Bob K

Officially RD unemployment is 'only' 15%...I never had impression that that are 85% of active population working, taking in count that population is very young.

Very often one working person feeds all the family, not to mention 'las remesas' estimated US$ 1.5 Billion /year..I have never seen as much Western Union agencies in a country.

And with that, lets get back on topic or if done we can close this thread.

If we dont control the birth rate of the people in this country, there is gonna be always lack of work positions, wich translate in poverty and more missery. Cause the economy is a variable and the birth rate is a constant, in order to have a higher Human Development Index, is important that the economny is higher than the amount of people living in one.

El banco central says that we have 40% of poverty in DR, that means we should be 6 million people living in this half island. 

Cuba is twice the size of DR and they are like 10 million, we have the same amount as them plus one million hatians.  :|

The media doesn't show the true effects of the hordes of immigrants flooding the European countries. We cannot allow that to happen to the DR.  Europe is rich, the DR poor.  If they can't handle the influx ,how can we?  A massive tradgedy is on the way in Europe, it's unavoidable now. Just wait until winter hits, a mass conflagation will erupt.  A shameful thing for all because of misguided, unthinking politicians.  May god help them all.  If interested, PM me & I'll refer you to some worl news sites showing hell on earth.

Guys - you want to have this discussion - and I encourage it -  open a new thread, this one ran its course and is being closed.

Hi all,

Following the request of the initiator and planner, i am closing this thread.

Thanks,

Priscilla

[ Thread closed ]

Closed