Living outside the cities

My husband (who is a paraplegic )and I are planning to retire in Ecuador in next five years. We would like to live in a smaller town but close enough to a larger center in order to access medical care. Could anyone recommend some towns that would fit the bill?

There are certain ingrained problems with being a paraplegic (or having most types of handicap) in Ecuador, both in small towns and big cities. While the government is making strides in accessibility for wheelchairs and encouraging acceptance for people with physical (& mental) limitations, there is still a lot of work to be done.

The streets in small towns can be rudimentary and lacking defined pedestrian areas and the state of sidewalks in the big cities is (by North American standards) appalling. I can't imagine trying to navigate the sidewalks with crutches, a wheelchair or electric scooter.  Curbs seem to have no standard height requirements and gaping holes in the middle of the sidewalk are the norm.

Don't get me wrong, there are people in wheelchairs or using crutches & canes here (as well as make shift dollies on which they propel themselves around) but they are often forced on to the street, which is dangerous even with full mobility.

I would guess it would depend on your sense of adventure, ability to cope with less than ideal conditions and would rely on a very good sense of humour. I don't say this as means of discouragement, but for full disclosure. The more people that demand better services and access for those that need it, the better!

Presuming you could afford to buy a house in the year 2020, Pakakuna Gardens might be the ticket.

It's a private residential community in Checa, Ecuador, about 15 miles from the new Quito Airport.

People are living there now, but the project is not built out yet.  When it is, there will be massage and medical facilities on site.

There already is a restaurant operating five days a week.  A slightly heated pool will be supplemented with an indoor heated pool in a recreation center under construction.

The Hawaii-style landscaped grounds which approximate a botanical-garden setting have walkways not infringed by vehicular traffic.  Parking is at the edge of the property.

So, if purchasing a home is an option -- current entry price about 145K plus a modest monthly maintenance fee that is being re-negotiated -- keep track of this project during your five-year timeline.

Type Pakakuna Gardens into the Search Expat.com box atop this page, and then click on the search icon to the right of the box.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks for the information. We understand the limitations and have traveled quite a bit and have dealt with interesting situations. Specifically we are are looking for an acreage, perhaps a b&b in a smaller community but close enough for airports and medical care if needed. Gardening , tranquility and immersing ourselves into the people and culture are priorities to us. I appreciate any info provided.