USEFUL INFORMATIONS ABOUT VIETNAM FOR NEW COMERS

Hi all,

I am Vietnamese, I live in Hochiminh city. I'm a lawyer (woman), also a biker.

You know, Vietnam is a beautiful country with many places with various cultures to visit, to ride, to explore, to experience.

There're a lot of expats say: "Vietnam is not a good destination". I think it is about the services, the traffic, the adminisitrative procedure... not about the scenic.

So I am here, with smile, no cost, to help you to come close to Vietnam.

I am a laywer, I will give you some advises for legal and adminítrative policy
I am a bike, I will give you some informations about almost destinations in Vietnam.

You will know how to hire a flat, a bike, how to haggle to buy a fish in traditional market, how to avoid dragging or entrapping by street vendors..

And

you will know how wonderful Son Doong cave is, how peaceful a traditional village is and how overwhelmed Tay Bac (West North) streets are...

I hope foreigners understand exactly about Vietnam's cultrure, Vietnamese and the presents that Mother Nature gave us.
There are many kinds of people in our country and you have to approriate ways to behave, to rampart, to understand or to love.

Please cmt if you have any question about Vietnam (especially Hochiminh city).

Good luck!

Hello,
  Thank you so much for your post and especially your offer to provide needed information.
  I hope you don't mind if I take you up on the offer. I will be coming over to teach English in January and I do seriously believe I may be putting down some roots there.
  Anyhow, my question has to do with marriage to a Vietnamese woman. I have been chatting on Skype with a lovely young lady for some months now and we are already talking about the possibility of marriage in the not so far off future. Could you give me a basic rundown of marriage laws there between foreigners (Americans) and Vietnamese? Also, what happens if the marriage falls apart after a few years? How are things divided up between the two separating partners?
  Any information you can offer me will be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Dan

drutter wrote:

Hello,
  Thank you so much for your post and especially your offer to provide needed information.
  I hope you don't mind if I take you up on the offer. I will be coming over to teach English in January and I do seriously believe I may be putting down some roots there.
  Anyhow, my question has to do with marriage to a Vietnamese woman. I have been chatting on Skype with a lovely young lady for some months now and we are already talking about the possibility of marriage in the not so far off future. Could you give me a basic rundown of marriage laws there between foreigners (Americans) and Vietnamese? Also, what happens if the marriage falls apart after a few years? How are things divided up between the two separating partners?
  Any information you can offer me will be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Dan

Hi Dan,
about the marriage procedure, you must have some documents show your marriage status (single or divorce), your mental health which are certified by  competent agencies of your country. You must have PR or TA affirmation.
Your documents will be handled by Justice Department of the province that your partner lives in.

About the divorce, you may spend a lot of time for it, about 6 months, you don't have right to divorce if your children is under 1 y.o. You and your spout have to divide  assets which arise throughout marriage period in divorce case, except for your private pelfs (you have to prove about this). Vietnam law limits some problems of foreigner' s ownership  of real estate, so you should consider in this field.

Welcome to Vietnam, Hope you'll have lucky and happy days with kind people in our country. Good luck!

P. S: It's my pleasure if you show me my English mistakes in my paragraphs - I am now still praticing! :D

Thank you for the information. I will keep it in mind as my adventure continues.

Sincerely,
Dan

Thank you for your kindness. When I broke down in Geneva, every (!) biker who came by stopped to ask and offer assistance. Had breakdown insurance, but forget that spirit among car owners.

Tell me, are your friends wearing leathers, too?

I have too many and thought someone in Vietnam might want to buy good ones for a song.
Foreigners can rent a 650 cc enduro, but are they legally riding >175 cc bikes?? Just wondering.

Which bike are you riding?

Before flying over, I want to do a bike tour starting in Chiang Mai where countless bikes are for rent. www.gt-rider.com Can you post a trip report here?

Chris

It's a shame they are digging up most of the main road the HM1, it's become a death trap at the moment, dusty, bumpy, and unsuitable for motorbikes. I've never herd such loud horns in my life, and they are going off all the time. I think the lorry drivers do on purpose to frighten people.

The legal part is quite straightforward.  Though Vietnam law has advanced a great deal in recent years there is still this problem with regards interpretation of the law.  Therefore, I provide a service that supports foreigners to clarify their position in a marriage so that the interpretation can be correctly directed.  It will also take the awkwardness out of you with your intended other half since we are doing procedures on your behalf and you are not doing it yourself.

Please let me know if you think that I can be of help.