Where to live in Malta?

Hello there,

We are a family of three and we are thinking of moving to Malta. My son who is turning five has autism and is very sensitive to noise.

Where can we live that is not too busy and yet nearby to schools, therapy centers, park, mall. We are planning to visit for a week or two maybe next year, to see what it is like there. So we would like some idea where to go.

I hope to hear from you. Thanks!

Anyone who is sensitive to noise should not consider Malta as a destination.

The Maltese are a nation that like noise, they "speak" loudly ( when  we first moved we thought they were having arguments) and love loud fireworks at all times of the day.

Traffic noise is also  a problem as they use a lot of old heavy vehicles and this combined with narrow streets intensifies the noise.

You do get used to it and I'm sure that some contributors will soon be posting about Gozo and its tranquillity !

Terry

I am afraid that what Terry has said about Malta applies to many places in Gozo as well.
We chose to live in Gharb, Gozo because it seemed peaceful but it is a lot noisier than expected. Noisy vehicles of all descriptions, fireworks, shooting, Maltese conversations, builders, to name but a few plus of course barking dogs etc. otherwise it is fine.
Still love it though! (Although we have considered giving Cyprus a look)

Ray

Do not move to Malta if noise is a problem. Noise pollution is Malta is unbelievable.

Noise can be an issue but I don't think avoiding Malta is the thing to do , you just need to find the right area and have a go to safe space that is relatively noise free - my bedroom is in the middle of my flat and I can shut the door and hear nothing from anyone

tearnet wrote:

Anyone who is sensitive to noise should not consider Malta as a destination.

The Maltese are a nation that like noise, they "speak" loudly ( when  we first moved we thought they were having arguments) and love loud fireworks at all times of the day.

Traffic noise is also  a problem as they use a lot of old heavy vehicles and this combined with narrow streets intensifies the noise.

You do get used to it and I'm sure that some contributors will soon be posting about Gozo and its tranquillity !

Terry

Thanks Terry! I will take this into consideration. We thought of Malta because of the english is widely spoken and cost of living seem to be still okay compared to other EU countries.

F0xgl0ve wrote:

I am afraid that what Terry has said about Malta applies to many places in Gozo as well.
We chose to live in Gharb, Gozo because it seemed peaceful but it is a lot noisier than expected. Noisy vehicles of all descriptions, fireworks, shooting, Maltese conversations, builders, to name but a few plus of course barking dogs etc. otherwise it is fine.
Still love it though! (Although we have considered giving Cyprus a look)

Ray

Hi Ray,

So Gozo is als quite busy. By shooting, you mean people shooting guns?

robpw2 wrote:

Noise can be an issue but I don't think avoiding Malta is the thing to do , you just need to find the right area and have a go to safe space that is relatively noise free - my bedroom is in the middle of my flat and I can shut the door and hear nothing from anyone

What, Move to Malta and become a hermit, not ideal for a young  child.

Terry

robpw2 wrote:

Hi Rob,

Yeah I think so too so we will still visit and see probably this coming summer.

mommaj wrote:

So Gozo is als quite busy. By shooting, you mean people shooting guns?

Yep - guns.

Why are people shooting ? For fun? Are there no restrictions there?

mommaj wrote:

For fun mostly. :) Hunting birds...

There are restrictions, but no one really cares (that much). More or less the same as with restrictions on driving while talking on your phone or observing speed limits, etc.

We did a lot of hiking in Gozo between October-May and met hunters/trappers every single time. Sometimes dozens of them. They try to be discreet in the off-season so shooting shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't venture out on the cliffs and such.

Now during hunting season - if one is sensitive to noise - better to just leave Gozo for a while lol.

mommaj wrote:

There are lots of restrictions as in all EU countries but Malta ignores them as the politicians need their votes. Today saw the opening of the trapping season in Malta whereby 9 species of birds can be trapped in the country in direct contravention of EU law and an impending court case.
The regulations also say no shooting within 200 metres of buildings but we have had lead shot rain down on us behind Gharb church! Nobody does much about it, but then many of the people who are supposed to be ensuring the rules aren't broken are shooters and trappers!

Ray

This post is very surprising to me.  Malta is very crowded and I would never want to live on the Strand or one of the busy roads in Sliema.

But I live around Tigne Point and there is hardly ever noise here except in the summer months when the fireworks are going and the wind's blowing because there is a tunnel effect around my building.  But the latter is a very occasional problem specific to tall buildings.

The Maltese people are so laid back and easy going, I never hear them shout at all.  They don't talk in whispers as I know some cultures do but they certainly are not loud in my opinion.  I was walking down the street the other day and heard a (seemingly foreign) man shout at a passerby.  It was very noticeable and out of place as I just never hear anyone shouting at all. 

And I have not been to many places yet but there are little nooks, even in Sliema and San Gwann, where it is downright peaceful and suburban.  Some streets around Chiswick are very, very quiet.  I would even let my children bike there by themselves if I were living there. 

So, I would not preclude Malta for noise purposes.  You just have to look for your desired attributes in the right neighborhoods. 

I have not yet visited Gozo.  But around Sliem, Malta doesn't seem particularly picturesque, being so crowded and tight and so much concrete and stucco and not so much greenery anywhere.  But the people are very welcoming and friendly.  That is a lot more than I can say for some places and it makes living here really pretty pleasant. 

On the other hand, the schools seem to lack resources to cater to special needs children, whether for disability or for giftedness.  That seems something serious to consider.

Good luck.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Promotion of websites and services not allowed on forum please.

There is a huge campaign to stop the 'Hunting' as the people doing the shooting call it. There's been some prosecutions recently which shows even the Police and Government are clamping down on it. The hunters have a lot of backing but opposition to them is getting stronger.

Yes unfortunately we have too many bird murderers here and several country walks are unbelievably marked as 'private'

Indeed Malta is a very loud place ... it can be heard from almost everywhere .... although I was raised in Malta, all this noise drives me mad :( Sometimes I consider leaving the island

daintylady wrote:

Yes unfortunately we have too many bird murderers here and several country walks are unbelievably marked as 'private'

Most country walks/trails are marked private, especially if you go hiking on Gozo. I just ignore the signs/makeshift walls.

There is some isolated places which aren't as noisy, such as Bahrija or Dingli, you just have to avoid the most densely populated towns and go for a small village, although it may result difficult to find accomodation in there.

MaltaCommando wrote:

There is some isolated places which aren't as noisy, such as Bahrija or Dingli, you just have to avoid the most densely populated towns and go for a small village, although it may result difficult to find accomodation in there.

There's a lot of shooting pretty darn close to most small villages during the hunting season. :) I remember Xlendi (Gozo) feeling more like a war zone for a few days in 2013 (September I think). :) it's alright if you don't mind the noise for a few days now and again.

Noise for a few days? Think you mean weeks at a time especially where I live in Gharb.

GozoMo wrote:

Noise for a few days? Think you mean weeks at a time especially where I live in Gharb.

I was trying to play nice... :) but yep, absolutely. It's the noisiest/busiest place that I have ever lived in. By far.