Thinking of moving to Ecuador

Hi Everyone
Don't really know where to start...Lived in Montreal my entire life. went to school here, got married to my high school sweetheart at 22 yrs old...(way too young)...managed to stay married for 46 difficult years,,and its time to move on.
I've been considering moving to a warmer climate where I could live off my measly pension...and I'm definitely considering Ecuador..and as soon as possible...but I need help and advise...What's the real story with living in Ecuador? What are safe expat areas? What's the chance of finding someplace to share with some one  (a room mate)? I know there are many things I need to learn and do before |I can even consider the move..so I welcome what ever advise you can offer

Normoldguy wrote:

What's the real story with living in Ecuador? What are safe expat areas? What's the chance of finding someplace to share with someone (a room mate)?

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Norm.

If safety and access to top-quality health care are your key needs, Cuenca would be an excellent choice.  However, you're not the first to learn this, so prices have been rising.

If you're priced out of Cuenca, consider Salinas, Ecuador, for low-cost coastal living.

The safest areas of metro Quito are probably the suburbs or Gonzales Suarez, the latter being pricey but perhaps doable with one or more roommates.

Go to an Internet café and check the real (not virtual) bulletin board for a roommate share.  Should not be too difficult to succeed at this in the larger metro areas.

As for "what's the real story with living with Ecuador," perhaps you could be more specific with that question.  Or tell us about your interests and priorities.

cccmedia in Quito