Wanting to retire to Belize, need information please.

I am retired in Canada and need information for moving to Belize. Do I have enough to move there and live? Are there places to move and rent year round that are not "vacation" priced?
Is it really do able on what I have coming in?

Artena

Hi Artena,
We also are looking to move to Belize and found the book "Living Abroad in Belize" to be very helpful.  Our local library had it.
Depending on how you want to live, as a retired person you need to guarantee $2000.00 USD a month income, you pay no tax and you may also bring in your belongings duty free within 1 year.  Outside of that program you can still live there without guaranteed income but you do not get those benefits.
Like I said, that book is very helpful and answers most questions you may have!

There are lots of places all over Belize that are not "vacation priced". Caye/beach property is typically more expensive than property inland.
True, QRP gives you duty free import of your household goods, car/boat/plane (with conditions), and you don't have to visit immigration every month. BUT, you will basically have permanent tourist status in Belize, and your time under QRP does not count towards residency, at least not yet. QRP is administered by BTB.
The other way, after renewing your visitor's visa for one year, you are able to apply for residency. Once you get residency you can work and come and go as you please. 5 years after obtaining residency, you may apply for citizenship.

having been here over a decade I would not recommend coming in under the QRP system.  Like said, it is regulated, and subject to change, by the BTB not Belize Immigration.  Most expats can live on considerably less than the $2000 USD per month required under the QRP system.  Come, explore, and decide what and where is best for your life style.  The areas in Belize are very diversified.  Take your time, rent and decide.  But mostly enjoy Belize, it's people and lifestyle.  Good Luck !!

Well the QRP system is definably out for me...lol, my Canadian pension will never get that high! I do not live high on the hog so to speak, so am able to live quite well here on what I get and am willing to do with out a lot to have what I need.
As long as there is fresh veggies, the odd chicken, fish, sea air, hot and cold water a garden and fresh fruit and a good hospital not too far away I should be fine.
I have lots of things to look into before the big move so will keep looking thank you all for your advice and if you have more keep it coming.

belize isnt a very safe place.
why do you want to live in belize?

why would you say it is not safe? don't understand|. My wife and I have been here for 6 months and actually feel safer than in Canada.
Do you flash your bling to attract attention. That will do it anywhere in the world.

SPmQQse
Explain!!  Why do you say this!!??

Thank you  for this reply. I have not heard anything bad about security there either to put me off. I am looking forward to being able to be there.

The person saying it is unsafe has some axes to grind and only adds negative comments to any thread he joins. I've lived in Belize city many years ago and have property now in Belmopan I have never felt unsafe in Belize well no more than here in California

Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQh1zZdo8NE
BZE City:  4th highest city globally for murder.  Check out the Youtube video above.
That being said, I go there often to shop and to catch a flight out back to the States
But, I don't live there.  I live in Corozal province.
I think the murder rate is related to gang activity and drugs, which I understand, is on the south side..

I had no intention of living in Blz City if and when I moved to Belize. So I have no worry about the crime. I am quite confident I will make the right choice when I move there that all will be well.

I'll bet your move and experience will be perfect.  Mine was.

You have to live in land to avoid vacation priced rentals. I chose San Ignacio. It reminded me of Jamaica. Picturesque gardens with ready access to a downtown and good private hospital (in neighboring Santa Elena).

I don't understand.  My wife and I have lived here in San Ignacio for six years without any crime problems.  My old home town of Chicago had more murders over the 4th of July weekend than all of Belize has in a year.

Well to come up with those figures they say small number of population so percentage wise it is more dangerous, but most Big cities in America have worse numbers if you took them individually.  Also it much of the crime is gang related and confined to the  very few high density areas that exist in Belize i.e. Belize city. petty crime to property is high in Belize though basically if you don't look after your stuff someone may decide you don't want it an take it. Mostly opportunist theft.
A plot near our place has been left empty for a long while because the owner returned to the US. For several months he paid a watch man to keep an eye on things and paid his electricity bill to keep  a night light on. Then he either decided to fire his watch man or the guy got a better job, and the owner had the electricity cut off as a result his lovely hard wood gate is down to a few planks and his building has been broken into.

what we northerners view as petty crime is often viewed as borrowing by the local Maya.  they have a different view of property.

Yes, as kids we used to call that kind of petty crime "borrowing on a no-return basis".  Unfortunately, it is part of the Belizean culture.  Over time you learn not to temp the locals by making sure everything is very difficult to "borrow". i would also not classify the "local Maya" with this particular fetish.  The true Mayan descendants I've known abhor this "tradition" as much as us gringos.

Sounds like when I lived in Panama.  "If it's not nailed down, it's gone."  Low respect for the property rights of others.

We are in the process of clearing land and look forward to permanently moving down to Belize within the next couple of years.  We currently reside in Atlanta and I would sooner travel/walk around Belize at night than I would anywhere in downtown Atlanta - or any major city in the US.  Of course there are areas in Belize City or maybe even San Ignacio/Belmopan that I wouldn't want my wife walking around - but this is typical of any city/town.  I don't recall any car jackings, mass shootings, bombings, drive-by's, etc being in the news down in Belize.
Also - question for the masses here : ) - when lwe do move, my wife will be living down there permanently whille I will still travel back and forth to the States and abroad for business.  I anticipate traveling several times a month for a couple of years.  Does this mean that I don't have to worry about immigration unless I don't travel out for 30-days?  I heard/read somewhere that if you travel too frequently - they may change the resident status and make you file for temporary resident visa.  Any comments or info on this?
Thank you very much!

Upon entry you will get a 30 day visitor visa/stamp. If you don't stay longer than the date on your stamp, you don't have to worry about immigration. You will get a new stamp every time you enter. You don't get resident status until you've been in the country for one year (conditions apply). And from the time you apply, it may take another year to get your permanent residency. I am not aware of any changes to this policy.

If you are coming in and out a lot you may not have any problems but you will not start the residency requirements until you are living full time in Belize the qualifying 12 month period only allows 14 days out of the country in that year then after your paperwork is put forward for residency there is a little more slack in the rules while waiting for your decision.  If you are in the age group and would qualify for QRP there are no restrictions on traveling in and out of the country.

What about the Canadians, do we have return to Canada for a full six month every year to make our medical still be in effect? This is what I heard and I have also heard that it is just one day every six month. Anyone got the straight facts on this?
Also,just what will our medical cover while down there, I have major heart condition and would love to know IF something happened I was covered!

If you are not resident in BC for 6 months your medical is gone ,Canadian medical covers nothing south of the States and would only apply if you were evacted or flew back to BC.  We bought extended medical and had to have paid up BC medical for the 6 months. For us it was a total waste of money. Your choice but an expat medical plan may suite you better or check out the medical services here and see if they are what you need