Retirement in sindangan Zamboanga Philippines

I'm considering retirement in Sandangan Zamboanga Phillippines primarily for the cost of living and possible marriage to a local. What is the risk of getting my butt shot of in this area. I'm a military veteran and am well versed in hand to hand combat and weapons. What are the laws for foreigners and guns for self defense. So far my research tells that it's the equivalent to the Wild West , I realize theirs a risk factor , however if allowed to carry a weapon I'll check out on my own terms.
Please advise.

Peter,
I would highly recommend you dont try to retire in Zamboanga. Last year an ex Australian former security forces guy, was over powered by 3 men and held hostage for eight months,He had a weapon but outnumbered he had no chance.He sold his house in Zamboanga to pay the ransom. I think he went back to Australia a broken man.Being armed is not going to help you if they think your worth holding hostage.

Like I said before , I was considering retirement in the Philippines mainly for the cost of living, I will live off a pension , I don't care to live like a king however I'm sure my pension will go a lot further their. I entertained the thought of meeting a woman close to my age group for marriage . Is there any place you would recommend I research.
Thank You for your time and consideration.
P.L.

Peter,
I see you live in the city, so you have Manila, with more than the usual city life problems, with a good night life, lots of scams and cons. Cebu a smaller city which has nice beaches and a tourist industry with the usual city crime and you have Davao where there is a traffic cop,is at every junction, because the traffic lights only work sometimes, security guards, everywhere employed by retailers, cops around and Military at checkpoints on the outskirts. So you can feel reasonably safe, nightlife very boring, not the selection of restaurants that you get in Manila, people quite conservative and not so many expats as Cebu and Manila. However they do have some good family outdoor activities.There are a few golf courses and Samal Island has a few small sandy beaches, the best thing in my opinion is the abundance of fruit , vegetables and fish in the pen market which you can buy at very reasonable prices. There is also plenty of available furnished houses / condos and accommodation. Its all about how high on the hog you want to live. The women are quite conservative, but nice.

Peter.levica wrote:

I'm considering retirement in Sandangan Zamboanga Phillippines primarily for the cost of living and possible marriage to a local. What is the risk of getting my butt shot of in this area. I'm a military veteran and am well versed in hand to hand combat and weapons. What are the laws for foreigners and guns for self defense. So far my research tells that it's the equivalent to the Wild West , I realize theirs a risk factor , however if allowed to carry a weapon I'll check out on my own terms.
Please advise.

Hi Pete
you have to be a citizen (not just a permanent resident) of the Philippines to legally own a weapon.  Then ask yourself what type of weapon?  As you are ex military you will have some idea.

Just remember from your military days people directly guarding POW's do hold weapons, because what can happen in the weapon is taken from and then used on the guard, as can happen if some one breaks into your house.

Having said that I would only look at a 22, every one thinks that bigger the better, but a shot will scare most people off, and if you do hit some one, I would be happy facing a court after wounding some one rather than having killed someone.  Unless you have friends in high places you will end up in court and possibly jail.

The other option is to own shot gun if you can do so legally, and do not put shot in the shell.  The sound will have people running away and you do not risk killing someone.

If you are well versed in martial arts, I would maintain that skill prior to owning a gun for the reasons I have pointed out above.

dinky2408 wrote:

Peter,
I see you live in the city, so you have Manila, with more than the usual city life problems, with a good night life, lots of scams and cons. Cebu a smaller city which has nice beaches and a tourist industry with the usual city crime and you have Davao where there is a traffic cop,is at every junction, because the traffic lights only work sometimes, security guards, everywhere employed by retailers, cops around and Military at checkpoints on the outskirts. So you can feel reasonably safe, nightlife very boring, not the selection of restaurants that you get in Manila, people quite conservative and not so many expats as Cebu and Manila. However they do have some good family outdoor activities.There are a few golf courses and Samal Island has a few small sandy beaches, the best thing in my opinion is the abundance of fruit , vegetables and fish in the pen market which you can buy at very reasonable prices. There is also plenty of available furnished houses / condos and accommodation. Its all about how high on the hog you want to live. The women are quite conservative, but nice.

There are better spots on the island of Luzon than Metro Manila.   You might do best by taking an exploratory trip to get a feel for different areas, get to know other expats already there.  Best of luck.

Thank You
I'll be in touch.

You have chosen one of the most dangerous areas to live in the Philippines, infested with radical Muslims involved in kidnapping and murder. You can never own a gun here. Your wife can have one if she is old enough considering she is a Filipina. If you shoot someone in your house, hand her the weapon, have her to fire a shot and admit to the shooting.

Hi Peter, Like a few of the guys stated here already,Zamboanga is probably the most dangerous part of the country to choose to live. I live in northern Mindinow, Cagayan de Oro city and enjoy my life here. I can live comfortably on 1,200.00 USD  monthly. That includes leasing a furnished condo across from the sm mall, all my food, utilities, tv, internet, entertainment. That also includes having a sweet Filipina girlfriend and helping her with a little food and meds. for her parents most every month.Enjoy your retirement and stay away from that area.Its just a matter of time you will either be a hostage or dead from those radical, Muslim terrorists.

Peter, You might consider Negros Oriental (near Dumaguete). There are many x pats there and some live on $700 a month. It was listed as the 2nd best and least expensive place to live in the world. I lived there for several years (Valencia). I only moved because of an x wife or would still be there. I have many friends there if you would like to visit sometimes.

Thank you for your response I will look else where.

Peter, I am happy to help you since I have lived all over the Philippines. I do not want you to repeat my mistakes. I am here to help you.

There are some safe places in Mindanao but I recommend the central Philippines, the southern is more dangerous and the northern is more expensive. Let me know if you need more specific counsel.

I'm planning my trip as follows 1 week in a Manila hotel, don't know which one yet  the Prefered hotel criteria is close to Manila airport (safety &security )and low end budget if that's possible , then on to Cebu for a few weeks same criteria . Your help will be greatly appreciated .
Thank You

Peter.levica wrote:

I'm planning my trip as follows 1 week in a Manila hotel, don't know which one yet  the Prefered hotel criteria is close to Manila airport (safety &security )and low end budget if that's possible , then on to Cebu for a few weeks same criteria . Your help will be greatly appreciated .
Thank You

Good Luck

Can you please advise me on does and donts so that if you don't mind I could benefit from your experience...

Peter.levica wrote:

Can you please advise me on does and donts so that if you don't mind I could benefit from your experience...

What time of the year will you be going to the Philippines?   What do you project as the amount of money you will have to spend each month?  You are collecting military retirement, will social security also kick in or are you already collecting SS?

Peter,
If your staying in Manila the Red Planet Hotel in Makati is not a bad place to stay in to begin your journey, book on- line its range from 1300 - 1900 pesos a day, clean, central,, air-condition, TV and bathroom. I am sure some guys will give you cheaper ones in Hermita, however you need to be more careful when your walking around. Dont carry large amounts of money around with you. Draw money from cash machines inside banks, be wary of people approaching you in the street. Dont wear expensive jewelry or watches. Stay low key Its the usual precautions I am sure you have used when in the big cities in the states. maybe one of the guys living in Manila on this forum can meet you and show you around. Also watch out for the taxi drivers the meter never seems to work..

Hi living here is ok and safe with no problem  I live in El Salvador city CDO Philippines  And never had a problem with anyone everyone is friendly  And all are willing to help you. As for guns sorry old boy but foreigners can't have guns only Philippineos can get a license to carry. You can keep the weapon in the house or you can take it out But only with your wife or Philippino who has a licence. Not very fare as we foreigners are stuck  with the label of being  rich which means that maybe we need some protection And if it's  only Philippineos  that can carry guns what do we do as foreigners should we not be allowed  to protect  ourselves. But good luck to you and all the very best. Colin an Expat from London.

Wife lives farther east on Mindanao her whole life and most all recommend avoiding Zamboanga especially as a westerner.  The city is a stones throw from several terrorists groups in Malaysia and has its' own history of violence towards certain groups.

I see what you mean. As a former Marine Recon in Vietnam , i also worked for Black Water, so i feel i can handle myself yet but time does tarnish the skills more than we want to admit.  I was told the firearms is taboo for sure. I then found the Wifes  Police Chief uncle to be an avenue to get a weapon. Surely in case of a dire emergency  a person would like to have access to an automatic rifle instead of the llmits of a hand ordinance.  I too would not go flaunting a weapon but if towel heads were going to rush my  residence  i would want to not be a sitting duck, and surely most expats can identify with that.   Good luck and i would like to hear what u find out and decide.  Mike

Ditto to all the above, stay away from Zamboanga. My wife has family there and they advise me and my wife not to visit there, way to dangerous there for a white guy.

the best advice from respondents is to come over and look around and make long term decisions only after you are familiar with the country

that a foreigner can not obtain a licence to own or carry a weapon is correct advice - however any philippine national in your household can be the legal owner - if you use it very clearly in self defence it will probably be ok, but no guarantees

when in manila if you are on a budget try the Tune Hotel in Makati - you can book online

i have been retired in the philippines for many years and will be happy to chat with you when you are here

good luck

I am currently doing my architectural thesis right now about retirement communities and as far as my research is concerned, I'm pretty sure you can live better in Cebu. Although you'll have the best medical facilities here in Manila (which I'm currently residing), this place is pretty congested and polluted. Whereas in Cebu, there are a lot of retirement communities there that will probably meet your needs and shall provide you all you need to live safe and better. I've read articles that they are starting to reinforce and produce more hospitals in there so eventually, medical health will be much more observed there.

P.S. To be able to make up your mind easier, try renting an apartment first so you can try if where in the Philippines you fist most. Good luck.

@23  -could you tell me where one can book  online for tune hotel?

Try there website

Dont use airport taxis. Go to the metered taxi rank. tell the driver...."Meter only" no fixed price, some will all gouge you. You can get from the airport to makati for no more 200 php plus a tip.  Those meter guys are mostly honest hard working, don't make much after paying for the rent of the cab, so tip them well my man.

Stay at the Lotus Garden in Manila on Mabini Street and walk one block to the Cowboy Grill good food and good live bands nightly 3 per night and it's a nice place.

tunehotels.com

tunehotels.com have no listings for manila

go to tune hotels philippines, or try this website - www.agoda.com/Tune+Hotels+Philippines

Tune hotels are now owned by Red Planet hotels

Retirement  and  carrying arms ..... 

i read somewhere tha tNew Zealand polices dont carry pistols . And  at the retirement  walking with a arms or lying back at the beach with a riffle  seems a bid  unromantic ...

But still seems  not the worst .. walked around the world continuously more than 20 years  and once i saw  in Almaty _Kazakhstan an apartment that had a 2 steel covered doors  outside door opens to out and second one  was towards to inside of house  that was the way to eliminate thieves or assaulters mid of night .
what a world .. also i saw an advertisement  about security fences for  the houses at manila . fences that carrying 400 VAC .. for welcoming unexpected midnnight visitors  .dancing in niiiiight :)   
all the best and succees.

edojidai.

its now renamed the red planet, makati

try this - http://www.ilink.ph/tune-hotel-makati