Is it safe to give CPF number during any purchase

Hi,

Is it safe to give CPF number whenever we do any purchases at any store or restaurants. I just know that CPF is similar to SSN number which is provided to us from Brazil government to track on our earning and expenses. When we provide CPF number during purchase there is very very small number which  is credited back to our amount, but not sure when this amount is credited and when. I have seen few people around me sometime they provide and sometime they don't. But the main question is - Is it safe to provide CPF number during every purchase.

Kindly help me on this with respect to understand the concept of CPF number.

Thanks and Regards,
Vinod Kumar Singh

Unlike the Social Security Number (SSN) in the USA or Social Insurance Number (SIN) in Canada, the CPF (Cadastro de Pessoa Fisica) in Brazil IS NOT CONFIDENTIAL. In fact it is used to record your credit history, and you cannot make very many transactions or purchases without giving that number to the bank, merchant, etc.  If you purchase anything that has a guarantee you must provide your CPF number in order to obtain that guarantee.

You won't be able to arrange for most utilities, electric, telephone (fixed or celular), water, gas, cable or satellite television without both your RNE/CIE and CPF numbers.

That's just the way it is here in Brazil. You go into large chain stores in Brazil the sales staff don't even ask your name, they ask for your CPF number. They enter it into their computer and not only do they know all about your credit history, they also know everything you've purchased from them and everything you've ever purchased from all of their competitors. Sometimes I think they even know exactly how long you cried after the doctor spanked your bottom the day he/she delivered you.

Welcome to Brazil.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks @James. You have clarified my doubt.

I was just worried why few people don't give there CPF and few does. Looks like they don't want to be tracked for there purchases. :)

Hi Vinod,

Unfortunately there are times when you have absolutely no option, when you are obligated to provide your CPF. For example, you can't purchase on installments or credit (except credit card). You can't obtain loans, arrange public utilities, etc.

Essentially in Brazil if you don't have (or provide) a CPF number you just don't exist and you are like the Invisible Man, and no amount of gauze bandages will make you visible like he could.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Have experienced several times when i want to purchase something they ask for the CPF even if i pay in cash the full amount (ie no subscription or downpayment)

When i ask what they need that for they either say that the computer requires it or i just get a blank stare - then i go to the next store and have no problems purchasing what i need without my CPF

Just remember, that without the CPF you will not get a guarantee with any product, since it is ALWAYS tied to the purchaser's CPF number. Not giving the number really can have its downside.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

James, a good friend of mine recently advised me to give my CPF with every purchase because I'll "receive a small refund" once a year directly in accordance with the amount of money I spend. (Still, I never provide my CPF for small purchases or restaurant meals because one, I don't care about the refund and two, I don't like the idea of the Brazilian government tracking how I spend my money.) However, in the case of someone who is self-employed and does not report all of his income to the government (for obvious reasons), should he give his CPF every time he makes a purchase?  If the vendor doesn't require his CPF, he's not required by law to provide it, right? Because in theory, this would allow the government to track his purchases and if there were to be a discrepancy between the amount of money he makes and the amount of money he spends, then it could be problematic for him, right?

Hi Victoria,

You're talking about the São Paulo "Nota Fiscal Paulista" program. It is being used to encourage people to ask for an official receipt for cash purchases, thus forcing everyone to declare all cash receipts to the tax man. As usual EVERYTHING in this God forsaken country is about ever more taxes and making sure they're collected.

Presently there is no legal requirement to provide your CPF when making such purchases, but I'm sure the government will one day find a way to compel it. Yes it certainly would allow the government to make a much closer comparison of one's spending to one's earnings, and that could cause a lot of problems for many people.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Never mind. James, I will PM you with my questions.

Does it actually have any advantage for me providing my CPF when making grocery purchases every day? I'm always asked but I just say I don't have one and I'm not bothered further.

There is a small advantage because you can obtain a small cash benefit from the Nota Fiscal Paulista Program each year. I never bothered with it when I lived there, but if you want to save all your cash register tapes and receipts for other things then give your CPF.

LEARN MORE HERE

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

I'm a believer in paying my taxes as long as I see the results. Here in Brasil the money seems to go into a black hole and reappears in a senators swiss bank account.

You are giving great and correct advice, James!

exnyer wrote:

I'm a believer in paying my taxes as long as I see the results. Here in Brasil the money seems to go into a black hole and reappears in a senators swiss bank account.

Yep, that's the long and short of it alright!

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team