Drivers licence

We are planning on staying in the DR for about seven months. Being a family of five I was thinking about buying a cheap car so it is easier for us to go exploring. My question is; I read somewhere that your drivers license is only good for the first 30 days of your stay. Is this true and if so what do you do after that?

This is true and after that you don't drive!  Hire a driver. And there are very few cheap cars here, even the wrecks are expensive.......

I like driving and working on wrecks but it sounds like we will be using public transport.  :)

That's great advise, but how do we get the rest of the people in this country to follow your advise???  Just guessing but I would say about 1 out of 10 actually have valid driver's licenses in this country, oops, I meant to say their own valid driver's licenses...:) and when they drive into you it's always your fault because you have insurance and a driver's license!

Exactly correct!    They drive wrecks, have no license, no insurance and hit you!  Their fault and you will pay and pay.

Oh so true.  It will always be the gringo's fault.

We were hit by a speeding motorcycle who was on the wrong side of the road. going around a curve.  Thankfully he was not injured only some scrapes and bumps.  Amazing since he flew over our car.  Anyway he had no license, no registration for the Moto, no insurance, and no identity papers ( illegal Haitian).  So it only cost us $5000 RD  to pay for his damages.  Simply amazing. Thankfully our insurance company paid the $115,000 RD to fix our car.

Bob K

Yes SnowGriz you are better off hiring a driver when you need to or  take on of the major buses between large cities

Bob K

When I moved to the DR, the first things I did were to procure a cedula & a drivers license.  My lawyer had his buddy meet me at the bus station in SD & take me around to the various places. medical, documents etc.  A long day but done.   The drivers license was a farce. a blood test for type & a written exam in Spanish. I had no Spanish at the time, so guessed at the multiple choice questions. Before I completed the test, the monitor took me to get my picture taken. five minutes later I had my license in my hand. We left Santiago and celebrated with a few Presidentes in Sosua. Total time including travel time was 4 hours.  Price? 3,000 pesos.  Amazing what a few propinas can do.  Cost for cedula with all expenses was almost 5,000 pesos.  There I was with a huge smile on my face,   was legal!  I have no doubt that it is much more $$ & time now. If you plan on spending much time & or many trips to the DR, I recommend getting your license.  I can PM the attorney  & address if you desire. He is in Sosua.  Enjoy your stay on this wondrous island.

Gyosy !!  I thought cedulas were issued only to residents and citizens !!

Gypsy !!  from what I hear the MORDIDAS (money under the table) work like it does in Mexico !!

Gypsy just to confirm you got your cedula the same day???  And once you have your cedula the license is pretty easy, or it was. Now you get a 45 day "learners permit"....then you get the real one.

How do you get a cedula ?? In other Latin American countries only recidents and citizen get cedula !!

You apply for residencia, then they give you a cedula.

That's what I thought !! So getting a driver's license is not so easy unless you have residencia !! Takes a while to get residencia !!

Exactly, it takes time.

That is correct.  The days of "buying"  your cedula and driver"s license are long gone.

Bob K

So if I start my residencia procces I may be able to work towards getting a drivers license?  We plan on many trips to the DR so maybe this is the way to go. Any thoughts?

It will be far cheaper to hire drivers than get your residency.  With the cost of a lawyer, fees, extra trips the capital you are looking at about  $1500 to $2000 per person.

Bob K

How long will your trips be?  Month or two at a time, no need.  BUT if you are planning 6,8 or more months at a time then that might be different.

Bob - here is an interesting question:  the tourist visa was 30 days and your drivers license was good for that length of time. With the tourist visa now being 60 days, is the drivers license good for 60 days too????  Hmmmmmm

Actually I have never heard of anyone having a problem with a  US license no matter how long they are here.

In fact I will sometimes when stopped give them my US license and "no speak Spanish" dumb face look.  Works all the time.

The 30 day old system and the new 60 day system is just anther example of the right had not know what the left is doing.  Pretty common here.

Bob K

Agreed Bob,  of course if there was something major your insurance has the right to void your policy and not pay.  In a general pull over, chances are they cannot even read your license and seldom ask you to back it up with point of entry.

Mike all is true

Bob K

I moved to the DR in march of 2002. Things were much simpler then. The back of my cedula said  " No Vota"  thereby designating me as a non citizen of the DR.  I too when stopped would say no Spanish & papers in the hotel.  Eventually made friends with a police sargent & his boss.  I never did anything illegal & kept a low , for me, profile.

The issue is in case of accident. The insurance company can and will void your insurance. This could be a big deal.

Tickets not an issue that a few dollars won't fix....lol