Medical stuff

My wife and I have been living over here for 18 months now...fully registered ...with our Res card...both retired and chilling out....when we provided all the documents that were required we also provided our S1 forms from the DWP...we are both healthy old codgers with no pre existing illness's ....reading through some of the posts and replies on here im getting confused as we never went to or were sent to StLukes to register our S1 form....do we need too....should we have done  ..what do we need to do now if anything....i was just thinking if we need to see a doctor just pop along to the surgery/clinic with said S1 Form ??

yes you need to go to st lukes , it wont take long

I thought that you had to go to the entitlement unit in Valletta for a "certificate of Entitlement"?

That's what we both did.

Terry

My friends who went to apply for their section 21 went to st Luke's hospital as they were advised as I believe Valletta no longer does it

So is this something new ??

mdillyd wrote:

So is this something new ??

Cannot find anything via the government website but have found this article via the TOM.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … kes.509374

So it looks like Rob is correct, they moved in 2014.

Although the only online form I could find still has the old address on it.

Terry

so my question is.....why didnt anyone in the registration office tell us that we had to have this done ??

mdillyd wrote:

so my question is.....why didnt anyone in the registration office tell us that we had to have this done ??

Probably because you did not ask!!

Remember this is MALTA.   :lol:

Terry

mdillyd wrote:

My wife and I have been living over here for 18 months now...fully registered ...with our Res card...both retired and chilling out....when we provided all the documents that were required we also provided our S1 forms from the DWP...we are both healthy old codgers with no pre existing illness's ....reading through some of the posts and replies on here im getting confused as we never went to or were sent to StLukes to register our S1 form....do we need too....should we have done  ..what do we need to do now if anything....i was just thinking if we need to see a doctor just pop along to the surgery/clinic with said S1 Form ??

You should have received two copies each of the S1 form and you take them both to the 'Entitlement Unit' and they will keep both copies, (I would take eResidence card and Passport ) they send one to the UK and when they receive confirmation back they will send you the 'Certificate of Entitlement'. You can then also ask the UK for an EHIC card to cover you when travelling.
Recent changes also now give UK state pensioners full NHS cover should they be visiting the UK and need medical care whereas until April your full entitlement lapsed if you lived abroad.

Ray

I was informed that once you have the Certificate of Entitlement you can apply for a Malta EHIC card (has MT on it) for EU travel. Having said that I also got one from the UK valid for 5 years!

If your a resident in Malta your U.K. Ehic card is invalid unless applying like Ricky suggested sorry

robpw2 wrote:

If your a resident in Malta your U.K. Ehic card is invalid unless applying like Ricky suggested sorry

We used to have the EHIC card issued from Malta but last year we were informed that the UK now issue the EHIC card and in fact our, newly issued from the UK, EHIC card lasts until 2020.

Terry

robpw2 wrote:

So just apply for a Malta EHIC card? Any idea how please?

tearnet wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

We used to have the EHIC card issued from Malta but last year we were informed that the UK now issue the EHIC card and in fact our, newly issued from the UK, EHIC card lasts until 2020.

Terry

Yes, I have to say that when asking for a new EHIC card over the phone I was asked how long I was going to be overseas for. I said I did not know. The lady at the other end said, okay we'll put 5 years on it.
And it arrived in the post a week later.

So as far as i understand it...(both of us?) Need to go to St Lukes with the respective forms ( and sundry dicuments)  and register then we need to ring some nice lady somewhere and she will send us the EHIC cards which means overall we are entitled to the same treatments as Maltese people and when we pop over to the UK its the same...have i got that right ??

If you are UK passport holders then you are now eligible for normal NHS treatment in the UK regardless of your residency.

The UK also now issues the EHIC card for UK passport holders living within the EU.
EHIC card is for EMERGENCY treatment within the EU.

Malta issues the health entitlement certificate once you prove you are entitled to reciprocal healthcare via the S1 issued from  the UK.

Terry

So Terry i got it right then...apart from some nice lady somewhere in  UK who i need to speak too who will send me some other form

mdillyd wrote:

So Terry i got it right then...apart from some nice lady somewhere in  UK who i need to speak too who will send me some other form

This is the link for  EHIC information ...

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcare … irees.aspx

Terry

Pea Cake wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

So just apply for a Malta EHIC card? Any idea how please?

If you are a UK state pensioner who has obtained a Certificate of Entitlement here in Malta via the S1 route you can apply to the UK International Pensions Office for a UK issue EHIC card. As far as I am aware it is only UK State pensioner expat's who can get full NHS treatment on a return visit to the UK not expats in general

As a UK citizen you will not get a Malta issue EHIC unless employed here and paying in to the system!

Ray