Nannyless life in Amman

Hello,
I have been an expat for a long time (with and without children) in several countries.  I am struggling because I fundamentally disagree with having nannies and domestic staff around my children.  Not even part-time housekeepers.  I find most expats lie anyway about how much childcare their "cleaner" does which is not their role.  I miss my friends back in my home country because of the simplicity of their lives even with the stress of having to do everything themselves (they still seem happier than the average expat).  Also I know when we arrange a playdate or when they make time for me and my kids it actually means something, they are taking time out of their busy lives for me with no one at home to cook dinner and letting everything go because life it too short and friendships are important.  Whilst in expat land if I go to a playdate at someone's house there is either a nanny or housekeeper floating around or I know it's no skin off their nose if I'm there or not as things get done anyway.  I  know these are harsh sentiments but I struggle everyday to keep my children grounded.  My eldest son doesn't want to go to play dates unless he's sure it's going to be reciprocal but I'm tiered with expat conversations like "you must come over for a play date because I have a sandpit/swimming pool/garden...." how about  "because our children are best friends".  Is it just time to go home?  Also this feeling has not been unique to my time in Amman but also other countries, it seems once domestic help is cheap enough people go crazy with it.

If you keeping to get connected with expats only, you will still have the same problem.
This is one of the reasons that I don't want to hook up much with expats but try to connect with the locals too.
My experiences with (Dutch) expats is that they live in their own bubble, are shallow and not having a real idea of living in another culture. They live in areas where other expats living, shopping where others go and meet the more fortunate locals.

And no, I don't have a nanny or a housekeeper and when I plan a date, its because my kids going well with other kids. Not to check out the latest gadget they get. Although: a private swimming pool would be nice  :D

what is the benefit if you are for example a Dutch living here in Jordan, and looking for Dutch food or other things?
you can find it in Netherlands...
if you live in another culture you have to live this culture and adapt yourself to get more experience.... this is my opinion...

Sometimes Mo, you will do anything to have something from your home country, special food you really miss and cant find it. You will experience this too when you move abroad.

Although I agree with you, it is not the subject of this thread.

Primadonna wrote:

Sometimes Mo, you will do anything to have something from your home country, special food you really miss and cant find it. You will experience this too when you move abroad.

Although I agree with you, it is not the subject of this thread.

yes, if you miss it. But some people they start looking for their things after they arreive directly....

as i said Primadonna, to get more experience must live as the local live.... it is like adventure....

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the jobs section : Personal and household services jobs in Amman
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct