Sending Money via Western Union

Hello to All
Can anyone share information on sending money via Western Union to Brasil  and is a bank account required for pick up of funds.
Thanks

Hello Alascana,

Western Union in Brazil operates through Bradesco in most cities. The recipient does not need to have a bank account in order to collect the funds. You will be required to provide the recipient's full name and CPF number (Cadastro de Pessoa Fisica) which is the Brazilian equivalent to a Social Security Number.

The recipient will need to produce their RG (Registro Geral) and CPF in order to collect the funds. It will involve several hours at the bank. It is a very bureaucratic process and bank staff really don't understand their jobs that well in the first place.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you James,
So I must include the individuals CPF in the transaction. Thank you , you are all ways on time with replying '

I have done this transaction quite a few times. Just make sure the recipients name on the transaction match exactly as on their Brazilian ID.  Never had to include cpf.  Also, the recipient will need to know the details of the transaction (exact amount, your name and the transaction code).
Hope this helps!

The CPF is necessary, there are thousands of João Pedro da Silvas, Roberto Carlos Souzas, Ana Clara Gomes, Ana Julia Coelhos, etc. in this country. The CPF and RG are the only way the banks can sort them out.

Cheers,

Reyrey, thanks, it seems the bank in the area I will be sending to is Banco Do Brasil, from what  I am reading it states only certain banks make the pay outs to the receiver, so to your knowledge there should not be a problem as I need it to be correct and non problematic. Thanks for the insight as I know the banks are on a holiday(lol) for now so I have time to work rhe kinks out and I am looking at moving to Belem next year as I spent 3 months enjoying the Northeast and had no problems and Brazilian Portuguese is fun to learn. Thank you again

Thanks James as I will follow all the guidance of your post as I will be sending it to the Northeast within the Belem area and after 90 days up North it can be so much fun. Had a wonderful time and no problems with anyone as all folks wanted to help the Americano(rsrsrs/kkkkk). Enjoy the foods and Vero Peso and the weather was divine as I was staying in Marimbia and I was treated well. Celebrated my 60 anniversary  ( birthday)(lol) with a nice group of friends.  I will be returning in about 6 to 8 months. And once again  I thank you (obrigado ) amigo (friend) rsrsrs

FROM WHICH COUNTRY ARE YOU SENDING MONEY?

USA

Hey ReyRey, how are you  also can you tell me if there any fees the reciever has to pay for picking up the funds such as taxes or anything that i should have to be concerned with as I would like to make sure I send a amount to cover them if there are any surcharges assessed by the paying institution . I am aware the banks are still on strike.
thanks for your time.

There is a MUCH cheaper and easier way of bringing funds into Brazil called Transferwise. They use the mid rate exchange rate  and there are no bank charges this end. Use this link https://transferwise.com/u/2bb5f9 and the person sending the money won't have to pay any charge at all and you'll get it straight into your bank account in 2 days. I've done it twice myself now and am kicking myself that I didn't know about this before. Forget Western Union. It's a ripoff.

Thanks for the information, the funds are not for me as I do not have a account, I will be sending the funds to a friend in Brasil. Are you saying using this service I can deposit or transfer into the person's account in Brazil at any bank , and what information do I need of the reciever to make the deposit on there behalf . Thanks

Hi Alascana. Yes, the person can transfer funds from outside Brazil into anyone's bank here in Brazil using the following information:
Full name of account holder
CPF
Address of person (not bank)
Tel no,
Bank name
Branch number (without digit at end)
Account  number with end digit

Do send them this link though  https://transferwise.com/u/2bb5f9 so they get  the transfer with no charges attached. (The normal charges on sending money this way are much less than they would be for regular bank tranfers or Western Union but it's always nice to get something free! )The person receiving the money pays no charge at all as the money comes in as if it were a Brazil to Brazil payment.

Sending money with Western union  is easy from Brazil, just need NIE and CPF if you are foreign or passport & CPF if visiting, same if receiving.

I will be sending the funds to Brasill for pick up by a person, and want to know if there are fees associated with the pick up transaction. I have the name and CPF. Thanks

There are definite fees associated with Western Union, and the exchange rate isn't nearly as good as the way I suggested. On the other hand if you don't want to have the money go into anyone's bank account you don't have much choice but to pay them. A friend of mine just had money transferred to him via Western Union and has spent a lot of time complaining about the charges..

How about taxes? Will the bank report the money received to the Receita Federal? Will the recipient be required to may taxes on that money? Thanks.

Hi Alascana, I send money to my family and friends in Brasil all the time. Just make sure the person in Brasil gives you their complete name on there I.D.  No CPF or other documents. needed  just the correct spelling of the persons name or they will have a problem at the bank. VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Give the person the Western Union MTCN #  and amount sent in R$ which is on the Western Union Receipt. You will see the amount in U.S.$ being sent and the R$ amount being picked up. Next, Western Union only sends the money to Banco do Brasil in Brasil no matter what city it is going to. It also helps if the person has an account at this bank.I sent money to Rio, Belem, Sao Paulo,  Don't send it to a bank account of the person because it is too much trouble. (2 weeks ago my wife wanted me to send money to her bank account, but Western Union does not send to bank accounts any more) So just send it "money in minutes" and the person can pick up the money at the bank. (only Banco do Brasil). Also I don't trust all those "agencies" that do money transfers from the U.S. to Brasil. (I'm just saying) Stick to Western Union. So I'm telling you how I do it and it works 99.5%. Last week 10/15 the banks went on strike so the money just sat until the bank opened. If you send more than US$500.00 or more western union will ask for YOUR PHOTO Government I.D. like drivers license or passport. But it is very easy. And Western Union give you reward points you can use later. The only fee I pay is US$8.00 under US$5,000.,, No big deal.
Take care,
Jeff

Jtong1, thank you for the information on this matter. Have the banks re opened as I see the news say they are still on strike?

I just sent some money today about 3 hours ago, I can let you know tomorrow when my wife let's me know if she got her money then that means the strike is over.
jtong1

Jtong1 thanks as the information, sure let me know as I will be sending the cash to Belem and I am trying to locate a paying office near Marimbia.
Thank you
Austin  (nome)/lol

Hi Austin, my wife and daugther said the banks are still on strike so I will wait until she tells me the banks are open again. I can let you know also. Maybe we can meet in Belem one day let me know.

Hey Jeff, thanks for your reply as I try to read a little on the happenings of Brasil each day. Yes I will return to Belem in the next 6 months hopefully to jump through all the hoops to be able to make it my home. My lady friend lives there and I like the north the people were all very good to me and had no problem as all would try to help the  Norte Americano  (lol) so it was good to enjoy the sights and the culture of the north. And yes if you can let me know when the banks make up there mind I will be able to take care of my duties in Belem. Thank you (obrigado) friend (amigo)

Does anyone have any experience with XOOM to transfer money I did a test send yesterday and it looks like it arrived this morning at my bank it was only for $10 USD   / R$38.25 I also checked on my bank to transfer funds they want $40 USD to wire to Itau Bank and I heard that Itau also Charges R$105 flat fee to receive the wired money I have used Paypal to transfer in the past but their fees are exorbitant and you can't send it direct you have to send it like you made a purchase and transfer it to a Paypal account that is attached to my Itau account here in Brazil a real pain in the arse

All I can say is keep it simple. I used WU for years. Had mabe small problems twice but solved them with the bank. Plus you can track your money and see if it was picked up. So keep it simple! ( US$8 dollar fee does not hurt.)

The second test transfer was completed with XOOM $100 USD / R$382.30 took only 3 hours no problems money arrived in my account without a hitch.  The real test next. I am really really disappointed with my bank a wire transfer started 2 days ago still hasn't arrived at the bank. Lets see if by Monday the wire transfer arrives you would think it should only take an hour for the price they charge $40 USD seems direct wire transfers from the bank are a big waste of money and time

I have sent money to my wife by Western Union several times. If doing so you must make sure that you send it exactly with the name on the person's ID, the Western Union transfer number, the amount sent in Reals and they will have to pay a fee to pick it up. You will have to go to Banco Do Brasil if you are in Northeast Brasil (wife is in Recife) as all Western Unions are in the Banks.
A better way we have found is for my wife to use her bank debit card from our US bank at an ATM to pick up money. The fees are cheaper than Western Union with our bank-still have to pay fees in Brasil- and our bank reimburses the fees for using the ATM in Brasil. What is better is she can keep track of the Real to US dollar and get the money when the rate is higher.

What actually started this for me was to find a way to get my Social Security Check deposited to my ITAU Account by Direct deposit.  The paperwork is ridiculous and it didn't work my Social Security payment didn't get deposited at ITAU and the payments were suspended pending a place to deposit the funds.  I had to contact Social Security to have it deposited in my US bank which works without a hitch and it is there the same day it is issued. 
The problem was how to get the money from my bank in the US to my bank here after exploring several options. I found several ways XOOM / Western Union / and Transferwise. Right now XOOM seems to be working it takes only 3-4 hours and it gets direct deposited into my account here no need to even step inside the bank or wait in line to pick up money like I would have to do with Western Union. I will post further on this as I get more experience on it and can report further how it is working for me.  This information could be valuable to other expatiates living in Brazil.

ATMS are good option. Just be careful and use inside the bank during the week.have someone with you during weekends. You never know. My cousin does MOTO TAXI so he takes me.

Yes I know my wife won't let me go to the bank during the day alone. We always go during the day when there are a lot of people around. You would have to be naive to do it on the  week ends.  It is just too dangerous here in Manaus to visit an ATM during Saturday,Sunday or on Holidays the thieves watch especially on those days for people going to an ATM's since there are very few people on the street it makes you a target they can easily spot. For most purchases my Debit card works well but I only use it at places I trust reputable businesses. I usually pay cash at places I am leery about so they don't skim the card.

Thank to all who have replied to this Topic, can anyone give a brief amount of the 'Fee's' charged for each service either for sending or recieving  just a ballpark estimate or does it vary on the amount recieved so far I have see $8.00 for Western Union yet no estimate for recieving of funds and $40.00 for wire . If anyone has the estimated figures for use and pick up it would be of great benefit to the members of the Expat.com.
thanks to all.

I know that the fee from XOOM is $4.99 USD per transaction if you use your checking account as the source of funds. If you use a debit or credit card the fee is $5.99 USD. No fee charged for pick up but I don't use that method as I direct deposit
but check them out anyway

https://www.xoom.com/brazil/send-money

Western Union charges $8.00 US for up to $500.00 plus a $5.00 fee for quick access as Brasil only has this option for the US. Over $500.00 there is a charge of 1% to send the additional amount. When the money is picked up from Western Union they charge an international exchange rate fee of 2 to 3%.
US banks charge a 2% international exchange rate-mandatory-and there is a service fee at the ATM in Brasil for using it. That fee is set up by the Brasilian bank that owns the ATM. My bank will reimburse this ATM fee back to me when I turn in copies of the transaction, but most US banks will not.
  You will be limited to a certain amount of Reals to draw out per day which depends on the Brasilian bank which owns the ATM.
  Hope this information helps.

My social security check is deposited in a US Bank and so is another pension check. I use a Capitalone credit card to make most purchases. I don't need much carry around money. I also have a capitalone 360 Bank account which I make withrawals that my wife deposits in her Brazilian account to pay bills.. I never pay ATM fees or foreign transaction fees. This is how I do it.

A further report on using XOOM money transfer The transaction I started on Friday afternoon completed this morning without a hitch the total cost to transfer the money was $4.99 it went directly from my US account to my Brazil account at ITAU without me setting foot inside the bank. The money appeared in my account this morning because it was so late on Friday the transfer didn't occur until this morning which I expected would be the case.  My next payment from Social Security is due November 3rd and I will again report on the transfer.  It was hassle free and quick and XOOM supports deposits to many banks in Brazil. The only thing I could say is try it for yourself and see if it works for you. It seems to be working for me.

John,

Can't you just withdraw your Social Security payment from an ATM at Bradesco? While you pay $4.99 (R$19,37) for the transfer, you also are paying IOF here in Brazil because it's a financial transaction from abroad, and if the CPMF is reintroduced, which I'm sure it will be, you'll also pay that too. Withdrawing money directly from the account through an ATM you only will pay any applicable ATM fee your bank may levy on the transaction and you'll receive the exchange rate in effect on the day of the transaction. You should be able to withdraw about R$800 at a time from the ATM.

Cheers,

Unfortunately I have tried before to use my Debit Card here and have run into problems one where the money was never dispensed and I never was reimbursed for it R$1000. In effect they basically stole my money. Going to the bank was no use they claimed the ATM was not out of balance therefore I was not entitled to the money even though it was drawn from my account in the US. Further my bank in the US said it was the bank that I used the card that was responsible since they had transferred the money to them. It went round and round I never did get my money.   I think they found the imbalance and someone pocketed the money but it is hard to prove who that someone was.  So this works for now. One other point my bank charges 5% on ATM currency Conversion far more than  the 10 cents difference in the prime exchange rate to the rate they exchange at.  The last point is I don't have to set foot inside the bank or even use an ATM what is a few dollars paid to have less headaches on it.

I had an incompleted transaction debited to my Canadian account from a branch of Banco do Brasil in Manaus, but I managed to get a full refund from my bank. It took 6 months, but you are fully protected and must be re-embursed by your bank, regardless of what the Brazilian bank may say about it. I'm sure you're right about the bank employee pocketing the money, but that notwithstanding your bank is obligated to make good on it. That's part of the FDIC insurance you pay for.

At any rate, you're going to pay much more than you need to if you use Xoom to transfer money. If you think that the security they offer is worth the extra payments and taxes, then that's what's best for you. I've never had any problem at all withdrawing my CPP payments from my USA TD Bank account at Bradesco here in Brazil.

Another problem with depositing your Social Security to your Itaú account is that since there is no Tax Treaty between the USA and Brazil, that money also becomes taxable here in Brazil. If you were withdrawing it from an ATM the Receita Federal doesn't even know it exists.

Cheers,

I have used Xoom to send money to Chile and to Colombia for several years.  It has been a good service, and much cheaper than Western Union. You can send up to $3000 per month @ $4.99 per transaction.  The exchange rate is favorable.  I have had transactions completed in 30 minutes, deposited to the receivers account.

James wrote:

I had an incompleted transaction debited to my Canadian account from a branch of Banco do Brasil in Manaus, but I managed to get a full refund from my bank. It took 6 months, but you are fully protected and must be re-embursed by your bank, regardless of what the Brazilian bank may say about it. I'm sure you're right about the bank employee pocketing the money, but that notwithstanding your bank is obligated to make good on it. That's part of the FDIC insurance you pay for.

At any rate, you're going to pay much more than you need to if you use Xoom to transfer money. If you think that the security they offer is worth the extra payments and taxes, then that's what's best for you. I've never had any problem at all withdrawing my CPP payments from my USA TD Bank account at Bradesco here in Brazil.

James,

I live in Bogotá, Colombia.  I use my atm card quite often to withdraw money from my US Bank account.  In addition to the $2.50 ATM fee my bank charges plus the international transaction fee Visa charges, there is very little if any difference in cost than using XOOM.

Another problem with depositing your Social Security to your Itaú account is that since there is no Tax Treaty between the USA and Brazil, that money also becomes taxable here in Brazil. If you were withdrawing it from an ATM the Receita Federal doesn't even know it exists.

Cheers,