My Comparison of Philippines and Australia

I have lived in the Philippines for about 2-3 years, and just went back to Australia, and I am comparing everything right now.

This first post is for the Accommodation cost.

In both places I have a 1 bedroom furnished condo type place, both about 70sqm.
The one in Australia is on the Gold Coast. The Philippines was the same for Manila and Clark.

Costing in A$  at current FX rate is:
$1,156     Philippines  (37,000 pesos)
$1,343     Gold Coast, Australia
Gold Coast is 16% more expensive, but has a much greater view.

We bought a packet of Philippines Dried Mangoes in both countries:
$4.50 Manila (150 pesos)
$2.99 Gold Coast (100 pesos)
That was weird.  Philippines 50% more expensive

More to follow...

ABCDiamond wrote:

We bought a packet of Philippines Dried Mangoes in both countries:
$4.50 Manila (150 pesos)
$2.99 Gold Coast (100 pesos)
That was weird.  Philippines 50% more expensive

Hello,

One major reason why prices increase is the transporting of the goods. We're into trucking business as well so we experience this firsthand. Before we could have all the raw materials, finished products delivered to their respective warehouses, we will encounter various city ordinances, law enforcers joined by national and local authority and government agencies implemented to every city that we'll pass by. Even before we could get the shipment, customs brokers and others will have a cut to each containers.

Now in return, we may need to ask for higher rates because we won't be able to deliver these items even if we didn't do anything against the law unless we give these local crocs "lagay" and let us pass through to get to the warehouses. Not only in the warehouses, to every location we need to make deliveries, trucks are considered by most local authorities as milking cows because they know very well that the importers or exporters of these items are rich and they can afford to pay. They know that most of the items that you can buy in the market or in shopping malls, are coming from the port so before these products reach the end consumers, they will take advantage of it. In return, because of these activities making it hard for everyone of us, we suffer as end consumers. Should the government refrain from that "absolute power corrupts absolutely" practice, everything may be easier and faster.

These are Cebu, Philippines manufactured food, and cheaper in Australia after adding in all the shipping and customs costs.

That's why I said it was weird.

Hopefully there are no customs charges between Cebu and Manila.  ;)

I too have been on my annual trip to Australia price comparison
beer 375m scooner $5.50 in pub aus
330m bottle in local bar Naga $1.25 or 40p
Pete

blueoakey wrote:

Pete

Beer, no doubt about it, The Philippines wins on both alcohol and smoking, in a BIG way :)

One can afford to get drunk in the Philippines 7 days a week, compared to only one day in Australia ;)

We are finding that a lot of our normal food though, isn't much difference in price.

Pork however is much more expensive, about twice the price.
But Mushrooms, Lettuce, Onions and Cabbage are cheaper in Australia.

I read another thread that says the Filipinos eat more meat than veg. It makes me wonder.

Another thread is talking about Internet and phone bundles in the Philippines and this was stated:

Average monthly cost for a landline+broadband internet is 1500-1800pesos

That's equal to A$47 to A$56 per month

Looking at this at the moment, in Australia, and I am choosing between $40 and $59 per month for a broadband phone bundle.

So again very similar.

As some one who will never get a pension if I live in the Philippines, I know that I can live a better life style in Australia than in the Philippines.  As in Australia I would when eligible get the old age pension and social security benefits (I am hopeful the pension will still be around in Australia ??? LOL)

For me my only consideration is if I have children, But that is another storey for another post one day.  So many pro's and con's both ways on that.  The list is endless.

Good luck ABC, hope that it all goes well for you.

I bought some Rexona Deodorant today.  It cost $2.50 for the 90gm spray. That's 82 pesos.  I was paying about 160 pesos in SM for the same size.  The 150gm size was $4.00 (130 pesos)

I also just bought a 4 litre tub of Ice Cream for $4.40, that's 145 pesos, or 36 pesos per litre.
The best price I could find in the Philippines was 1.7 litres for 220 pesos, = 130 pesos per litre.

Its not Ben and Jerrys though... I saw that for $26 a litre (In Australia)  !!! 858 pesos ;)

Mate you can get the aussie pension in the phils i am doing very well just on the pension but you have move away from the cities.

villan3 wrote:

Mate you can get the aussie pension in the phils i am doing very well just on the pension but you have move away from the cities.

I've noticed that bit about moving away from the cities on my return to Australia.  $280,000 (9m pesos) for a great house on 1.5 acres (6,0000 sq metres)  Its actually cheaper than a direct comparison in the Philippines.
For something not as big, but of similar quality, I was looking at over 12 million pesos in the Philippines, although some areas, such as the houses shown at wintergolfinthephilippines.com were good comparisons.

But I can't get away from the advantage of the security of ownership in Australia.

Davao city is the place to be voted number 5 in the world for safest city and look at house prices there, but you have to go and see the houses but let your wife do the wheeling and dealing otherwise you will pay through the nose.

Mate try living on a pension in Australia good luck to you.

pej1111 wrote:

As some one who will never get a pension if I live in the Philippines, I know that I can live a better life style in Australia than in the Philippines.  As in Australia I would when eligible get the old age pension and social security benefits (I am hopeful the pension will still be around in Australia ??? LOL)

You mention not being eligible for the aged Pension if you live in Philippines, but being eligible if you live in Australia.

Firstly, I am sure that the aged pension will diminish over time, and it must be taken for what it is supposed to be. A social security backup for the poor who have not made prior arrangements for getting old (like me) :)
It would not surprise me if eventually it becomes only restricted to Australian Residents. 

But why do you feel you can't get it outside Australia?  Is it because of the need to live in Australia for two years after applying ?

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Inappropriate comment
villan3 wrote:

Mate try living on a pension in Australia good luck to you.

Most people in the future will have the Compulsory Super to provide a pension, the one the employer paid into for them.
This then often disqualifies them from the welfare based (income tested) aged pension anyway.

But living on the Aged Pension alone in either Australia or the Philippines makes no real difference if a person wants to keep the same lifestyle.  I am finding the prices are the very similar.
Living in the Philippines with more of a Filipino lifestyle is cheaper than living western lifestyle in either country.

Obviously if your ONLY income is the aged pension of $433 per week + various other benefits, (In Australia), then things may be tight, although many people seem to get by OK on that, if they own their own home.

Norm Allard wrote:

Mate your living in the wrong place. I live in a 3 bed 3 bathroom house in Davao city, 300 meters from the beach in a very nice subdivision and I pay 12,000 pesos a month. We don't use zircon as we have cooling sea breezes. I paid $22 for a haircut on the Gold Coast, here I pay $1. And a slab of beer is $35, while here it's $15. A massage for an hour in Oz is $60+ while here it's $5. So you need to make more comparisons than some dried mango.  Cheers Norm Allard.                PS who wants to live in Manila or Clark? They are both shitholes.

Mate!  Who wants to live in Davao?  YOU do.. obviously.  Its cheap.  It has nothing of interest.

I want to live where I WANT TO LIVE, not where you think I should!!!

Not everyone wants to live the same as you.

Normally I never want to put people down for their personal choices, but it seems I need to make an exception.

You paid $22 for a haircut on the Gold Coast?   Look around, there are places that do it for $5.  But you did look around, and you found Davao !!

You want to buy beer and get drunk and get massages, then OK, Philippines is just right for you.

The Philippines attracts a certain type of person.  I don't think I fit in...

ABCDiamond wrote:
pej1111 wrote:

You mention not being eligible for the aged Pension if you live in Philippines, but being eligible if you live in Australia.

Firstly, I am sure that the aged pension will diminish over time, and it must be taken for what it is supposed to be. A social security backup for the poor who have not made prior arrangements for getting old (like me) :)
It would not surprise me if eventually it becomes only restricted to Australian Residents. 

But why do you feel you can't get it outside Australia?  Is it because of the need to live in Australia for two years after applying ?

Hi ABC and Vilian

Yep I am currently 53 years of age, and am thinking of heading to the Phil's at the end of 2016, to live.

As you may be aware different Australian Government departments assess Australian Residency differently,  these departments be Medicare, social security (age pension) and the ATO and Superannuation (my understanding is that there is no effect on tax on super as a non-resident)

With the Social Security (age pension) my understanding is that to maintain my Australian Residence status I would have to demonstrate the following
- A place of residence in Australia
- No permanent place of residence overseas
- A return ticket each time I leave Australia
- And an intention to return to Australia (which is tied up in the above)

Of course the above are guidelines to be looked over by a Aust Gove official and then make a judgment call on, so nothing is really concert.

My understanding is that I need to live hear for two years directly prior to my pension age.  If I was to return after being a non resident then I need to live here , hmmmm, yep I know it is for longer than the two years and there is some funny formula they use.  But cant recall off the top of my head.

I would really appreciate any help in any way that would enable me to receive any Australian Government assistance.

Cheers

PEJ

Hi I'm JOHN I live in Australia I'm married to a Philippine lady and we have two children.I have been there many time and find it nice almost everywhere .I don't think that person was putting you down its just his thoughts,we all have them.

Gooday John

I have lived in Makati, Philippines on and off for the last 16 years and would not compare living in the Capital City of a country to living on the Gold Coast better comparison would be living in Batangas or other provincial cities on the water.  Most expat aussies live like they do at home in Aus thus there costs would be significantly higher as they are generally purchasing imported goods.  Purchasing goods at places like S&R or Rustan's is also far more expensive as they have a larger selection of items from home.

Here is a link to general Cost of Living for Expat Aussies

Brisbane, Australia rated No 28 in the world for cost of living
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/brisbane

Manila, Philippines rated No 150 in the world for cost of living
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/manila

Sydney rated 23, Perth 30, Melbourne 35, Canberra 43 and Adelaide 49

Hope this is useful info for a comparison on Living Standards.

Hi Find me a furnished place for 12,000 near the beach  In Davao and I will take it. Where are you getting $5 massages. Like to see that !!

Good morning in the Philippines:

You said you are in the trucking business. I am thinking about moving to Mabalacat City toward the end of the year and spent my whole life in trucking and freight transportation here in the U.S. I had thought once there, I might look for some employment or consulting for a company that my background and experience in trucking might be of value for. Since I would be close to the Clark Industrial Complex, was hoping that might present some opportunities.

I spent 13 years as a driver before moving into management, dispatch, training, safety, terminal manager, regional sales and on to executive vice president of a carrier. In 1990, I set up my own corporation to do consulting in the areas of operations and management, profiling potential acquisition candidates, and sales for three different trucking companies.

Could you give me your thoughts or some ideas about this?

Bill Hidde

The Philippines is not a cheap place to live anymore. Fruit for example. Can you give us a comp with fruit.....

blueoakey wrote:

Pete

Can you give me a comparision of what an Aussie bartender makes and what a Filipino makes.

ABCDiamond wrote:

Another thread is talking about Internet and phone bundles in the Philippines and this was stated:

Average monthly cost for a landline+broadband internet is 1500-1800pesos

That's equal to A$47 to A$56 per month

Looking at this at the moment, in Australia, and I am choosing between $40 and $59 per month for a broadband phone bundle.

So again very similar.

My Wi_Max in Batangas cost me 799P. great speed, unlimited

villan3 wrote:

Mate, How do you get your Aussie pension. I went into the Dept of Veterans Affairs to get my VETERANS pension for my service in VIETNAM. When they figured out I will be going back to the Philippines they told me not to let the door hit me in the ass on my way out.

ABCDiamond wrote:
pej1111 wrote:

From what I've read on the pension web site, they will cut you off 3 months after you leave the country. You'll get it back when you are on Aussie soil. Hope someone can prove me wrong.

Aussie would be $20+hr
Pinoy                     $ 1 hr

pej1111 wrote:
ABCDiamond wrote:
pej1111 wrote:

Hi ABC and Vilian

Yep I am currently 53 years of age, and am thinking of heading to the Phil's at the end of 2016, to live.

As you may be aware different Australian Government departments assess Australian Residency differently,  these departments be Medicare, social security (age pension) and the ATO and Superannuation (my understanding is that there is no effect on tax on super as a non-resident)

With the Social Security (age pension) my understanding is that to maintain my Australian Residence status I would have to demonstrate the following
- A place of residence in Australia
- No permanent place of residence overseas
- A return ticket each time I leave Australia
- And an intention to return to Australia (which is tied up in the above)

Of course the above are guidelines to be looked over by a Aust Gove official and then make a judgment call on, so nothing is really concert.

My understanding is that I need to live hear for two years directly prior to my pension age.  If I was to return after being a non resident then I need to live here , hmmmm, yep I know it is for longer than the two years and there is some funny formula they use.  But cant recall off the top of my head.

I would really appreciate any help in any way that would enable me to receive any Australian Government assistance.

Cheers

PEJ

You know what PEJ, It burns my butt the way Australia treats their pensioners. We all worked all our life, paid taxes, some ever went to war for them. Why in the hell does it matter where we live. Australia seems quite happy for immigrants in Australia to receive their pensions from abroad, They will even chop the Aussie benefit by 50  cents on the dollar. Thank god other countries don't P**S and moan about paying out to their pensioners living abroad.

Hi Munchie

yep it is not so good. just a pain in the but.  And for me being an ex Aust soldier (piece time only) and ex professional fireman, it really gets my goat.

Just to clarify; if an Ausie is already receiving the old age pension (i.e. has reached his pension age) he will continue to get it, if he starts then to live overseas.

For me at 53 now, my pension age is 67, but if I live over seas from now on, or for two year prior to reaching 67 (i.e. from the age of 65 to 67), then I will not get it.  Unless I go back to Australia at age 65 plus, and set up a house and live there for two years, then after the two years there I can then head back overseas and continue to get the pension.  There are some other rules around it, which for brevity purposes I will not go into here.

The cut off thing is in regards to what they call a job search allowance, which an Ausie can get prior their pension age.

Appreciate you thoughts Munchie.

pej1111 wrote:

Hi Munchie

yep it is not so good. just a pain in the but.  And for me being an ex Aust soldier (piece time only) and ex professional fireman, it really gets my goat.

Just to clarify; if an Ausie is already receiving the old age pension (i.e. has reached his pension age) he will continue to get it, if he starts then to live overseas.

For me at 53 now, my pension age is 67, but if I live over seas from now on, or for two year prior to reaching 67 (i.e. from the age of 65 to 67), then I will not get it.  Unless I go back to Australia at age 65 plus, and set up a house and live there for two years, then after the two years there I can then head back overseas and continue to get the pension.  There are some other rules around it, which for brevity purposes I will not go into here.

The cut off thing is in regards to what they call a job search allowance, which an Ausie can get prior their pension age.

Appreciate you thoughts Munchie.

Thanks pej. There in lays my problem, I was in the Phils for a while before going down under and before that, yankee doodle land.  Oh and another rant. They want you to pay taxes on investment gains while your abroad.

One good thing Australia does have is Superannuation, my understanding, based on what I was told by my Super fund and others is that there in no detrimental tax on earning and draw downs after the age of 60 for a non resident of Australia.

Once again this is a simple statement to a complex area.

But that is they way I plan to bet the tax on earning from investments, which in a non-super arena is around 33%

I now live permanent in Philippines on the Australian Pension no problems at all , $1620 a month same as a mate who gets the same amount .. We were living in Australia all our lives , especially the 35 years between 16 years and 65 years which is the requirement for the pension if you want to relocate overseas inc for the 2 years before 65years or the pension age .. If you did live  less time in Aust you can not live overseas on the pension .. Look on Centrelink site it's in black and white , clear .. I have a house I built and a 50 year lease on it , so no rent and we ( 6of us ) live highly on 30,000 peso a month the rest is saved and quickly builds up for holidays around Asia ... Love living in my paradise  .. I agree Manila is so expensive for the same life ... Many other places here Dumagetti , Davao , Panay ,Cebu , batangas , etc etc all cheap to live and enjoy freedom , white sand beaches , farm life and super friendly people always available to help

I pay 21 peso a 330 San Mig per case and my local bar charges 32 pesos. Aussie bar staff get paid approx $20 an hour (670 pesos) while a Philippinas approx 250 or less for a day.

Also if you are an Ausie going to retire , always say that you were a tourist only overseas , still an Australian resident , not living overseas , just a tourist visiting friends and enjoying some time off ...

Well Mate I don't see why Ozzy taxpayers should fund your retirement if you have lived and paid taxes in the US for 20 years go ask them for one.
By the Time you reach 67 no doubt the rules will have changed for sure due to people rorting the system.
That's the reason they change things. Refugees were coming to Oz getting Disability pensions then leaving the country for 12 weeks and going back to where they were supposedly being persecuted and living the high life just fly back ever 12 weeks stay 1 week to keep your residency and back off again, so the government cut it to 6 weeks to make it less viable. I met an Iraq guy looked completed ok to me and he even told me he was going to run a shop for his friend in Jakarta, no tax so all good for him. Just saying!

I would love the Ozzy Government to fund my retirement in Philly but alas I think not!!

Well actually I have always lived in Australia same as my father and Grandfather and paid my taxes as a contractor and racehorse trainer I have retired in the Philippines and receive my pension every Month which is the same rule every country has , you can live anywhere you want .... But if you are on a disability pension you can only stay away for 4 weeks , or if you come from another country or lived away for years , you must stay in Australia to get a pension , your pension now stops if you leave ... Glad I am an Aussie my taxes have been saved until 2070 , the taxes and super paid now is for future generations ....  I have never lived in USA ... It's so good only paying $0.48 for a bottle of beer $1.50 for a meal $50 a month for my maid .. When I use workers the wage is $3.50 a day . Live in the Province , life is so good ..

neely1 wrote:

Well Mate I don't see why Ozzy taxpayers should fund your retirement if you have lived and paid taxes in the US for 20 years go ask them for one.
By the Time you reach 67 no doubt the rules will have changed for sure due to people rorting the system.
That's the reason they change things. Refugees were coming to Oz getting Disability pensions then leaving the country for 12 weeks and going back to where they were supposedly being persecuted and living the high life just fly back ever 12 weeks stay 1 week to keep your residency and back off again, so the government cut it to 6 weeks to make it less viable. I met an Iraq guy looked completed ok to me and he even told me he was going to run a shop for his friend in Jakarta, no tax so all good for him. Just saying!

I would love the Ozzy Government to fund my retirement in Philly but alas I think not!!

Well hell, why not. I lived and worked in Australia for 44 years, and paid some else's damn pension. Should be my turn....

Sorry I was replying to the person who said he had worked in the US for 20 years.

Hang on a minute you said u are 53 years old and worked in the US for 20 years so I dont see how you worked in Oz for 44 years

neely1 wrote:

Sorry I was replying to the person who said he had worked in the US for 20 years.

Copy that. However my circumstances are similar. almost 70, worked in the US for 22 years. Yes I do have US social security. Really appreciate the US government for not penny pinching my pension.

It's my contention that if I fall with in the Australian work history guidelines, I ought to get my pension. I further contend that if i served my country in a declared war zone, I should get my pension even if I live on the moon. Just sayin :)