How to get NIE?

Hello! I have a question! Where should I go in Madrid if I want to get a NIE? I was in Comisaria Local de Alcala de Henares also in Comisaria General de Extranjeria y Fronteras and I've been told, that I need Certificado de Registro de ciudadanos de U.E.... I don't think, that I can get that certificate, because I don't have a job and I can't start working, because I don't have NIE. Could somebody explain me, what should I do? Maybe somebody who also needs NIE wants to go together with me? 😀😀

Hi! Although I'm still not in Spain, will be next week (in Barcelona), I'm afraid I'll have the same problems. I am in similar situation as you (still don't have a job that is waiting for me there).

What I've found is that there is a difference between NIE number (Número de identidad de extranjero) and NIE card (Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Unión).
In my long-term search for information, this is the only answer I've got:

"To apply for the NIE Card you need to prove one of the following in the immigration office:
- have a job for a Spanish employer (or a firm job offer)
- be self-employed (autonomo) in Spain
- be a student and have European health card or private health insurance
- have enough funds to maintain yourself and have private health insurance from Spain
- join a family member already living in Spain
- application by filling out the EX18 form

To apply for the NIE number - you will still need some official document stating what you need the NIE number for (buying a property, paying taxes, starting a business, .....), application by filling out the EX15 form"

But I'm still not exactly sure what to do.

So, if anyone has gone through similar process recently, I would appreciate any advice :)

Everything is so messed up here...  :sosad: People, who has NIE? Where are you? Share your experience and wisdom!  :thanks:

Hi there
Did you solve this problem yet or still waiting?

Hi

We went tru a solicitor for that. All you have to do is present your passport and pay the fees. and they will get it done for you in 15 days. If you want to apply yourself, you have to prove of Spain corresponde address and so on. Try to google it.

Hi did you find out how to get your nie last year? i got mine recently, ( ive only just seen your post for help :-)

Sorry but this post is confused.  An NIE  Cert and EU Registration are completely different things.

An NIE is the tax ID number for a non-Spanish person NOT living in Spain (or here for 3 mouths or 183 days in total in a 12 month period).  It is required by those who say buy a property in Spain and who only VISIT Spain,

If an EU citizen moves here, i.e. to takes up or seeks employment they are required to register immediately on the EU Citizen Register.   

If one has a job or formal written job offer properly signed by the potential employer,  take that to the Documentation section of the National Police Station which covers the area where you living, that is where you are staying at the time of application.  Doing that negates any need to have sufficient income or medical cover.

NB Please note:  The procedure for non EU citizens is different.

Hi Johncar,

Your information is very useful. Much appreciated. :)

Do you know where to find info for non-EU citizens perhaps?

Best,
Sergio.