Health Insurance, Life Insurance, PA from Thai Company

Many forums talk about health insurance for expat, but not everybody can afford this as it is expensive, many brokers ( even here ) target the expat community as it is a juicy market for them.

I open this forum not to do any comparison, but more to share experiences of those who use local Thai insurance ( from local companies or design to target local people regarding pricing and cover ), when you live in Thailand ( you will use often local company for others kind of insurance like for vehicle, motorbike, home, etc.. )

Heath care cost take a big part in a family budget ( whichever Thai couple, foreigners couple, mixed couple, with or without kids ).

Those married to Thais, have certainly investigated this matter around the family in law and their wife/husband, many use in Thailand Life Insurance, whose offers on the market are very wide, they can receive some cash back, they pay premium during a number of years but they are covered for a longer period or until they reach a certain age.

Even your banker will propose you some health insurance contract, most of them are recognized by all the hospitals in Thailand, even the international expensive one ( depends on your cover limit ).

Thai people or other working have also some advantages regarding income taxes for specific contract, sort of allowance they can deduct.

You can find health insurance, Life Insurance and also PA ( Personal Accident Insurance )....

If you use any local company to cover you in Thailand, just share your thoughts.. positive and negative points... if you have made or not some claims...

I use Bupa Thailand but have never had a claim in 8 years with them so cannot comment beyond saying I get 10% refund because I have filed no claims.  I chose an in-patient policy only because out-patient cost are low and I can self insure out-patient.

The cost with this company seems to stay the same for 5 years (56-60, 61-65 and so on) but coverage levels have not gone up during the 8 years even though inflation has driven up hospital charges.  Its seems to me coverage levels should also be increased with inflation.

I have not needed any in-patient care and very little out-patient for 8 years.

I use Thai Life Insurance, medical only pay only 1500.00 dollars a year, had to use once on a trip to the US for the ER. Cost 2500, kept all receipts and upon returning to Thailand they paid my bill in full. hasn't gone up in the 3 years I have had it. As compared to other medical insurance companies offered to Expats it is very reasonable. I am 64 years old and healthy don't take in medications, my wife is 67 also healthy no meds. Being a ICU Nurse in the US, she knows how to stay healthy, & when you take your yearly physical, she knows what kinds of test to ask for. Some Doctors in Thailand are a bit laid back about requiring test. You won't find much Preventive Healthcare in Thailand, you have to take control of your own medical well being. However it is very cheap here for all the test needed for good health.

Thanks Straydog and thailand4me for your inputs, based on your experience.

It would be nice if you can give also the name of the insurance policy you have chosen.

These both companies have many different choices available in their website and sometimes never easy to compare all of them.

For example, in the company used by Staydog, the plan I have seen in their website can be : crystal, sapphire, ruby... often followed by a number

Price is link to many factors : age range, IPD/OPD, amount covered per year, exclusion for special diseases,.. etc..

The one used by Straydog is more a comprehensive heath insurance, the one used by thailand4me is more a life insurance, if I am wrong, just correct me.

I am sorry I thought you were already aware the Thai Life Insurance carrys full service health insurance, you must contact the insurance company to find out the details, I tried to give you a sample of what it would cost for medical only. Which means you would be paying for minor problems & blood test out of pocket, this should not be a problem as they kinds of things are very cheap. Another plus to this insurance is that they will pay even if you are traveling. And they will provide medical to you till you are 90 years old, try finding that with another insurance carrier.

I have been trying to find a health insurance which will be so expensive.  Any suggestion which insurance I should try to contact  Let me know about the life insurance also, they cover some health insurance...

I think Thai Life is the best for the money, they will cover you world wide, and give you coverage till you are 90 years old, try to find another insurance company that will do that. My wife & I chose only medical, so you have to be admitted for them to pay, but I haven't run across a hospital yet that refused to do this, after all they want to make money too. Plus it has a 3,000 dollar rider for life insurance which get interest.  My wife is 67 she pays 1700.00 dollars a year am 63 I pay 1400.00 dollars a year.  Patrick

What would be the maximum cover per year, please?

You can find life insurance in Thailand from various companies ( I will not list any here as advertising is forbidden ), just type in your search engine "life insurance in thailand", and many name will come through, you can also check on the website of the bank, as they will propose also some.

Cover untill 99 years old is common for life insurance, in the name you will have written 99/20, you pay premium during 20 years and you are covered until 99 years old, there is a health check to be accepted in many cases ( a form with questions ), and you should be less than 65 years old the day you will subscribe to it.

Some life insurance will give you cash back, there is also a minimum sum to insure like 150,000 THB, but no maximum ( it is up to you to decide )

Call them & ask.

Hi,
That sounds a bit harsh.
I suppose it is mentioned in your contract and it may be important for readers to know? If you do not want to tell us it may leave the impression that it is very low?

500cc wrote:

Hi,
That sounds a bit harsh.
I suppose it is mentioned in your contract and it may be important for readers to know? If you do not want to tell us it may leave the impression that it is very low?

A life insurance is not a health insurance, many are confused, they have to add some additionnal protection, like cancer, personal accident, critical illness, etc... you will not get a detail like for health insurance which will tell you for example ICU room until 10,000 THB per day, but the adds on PA will specify this, it depends on the amount you want cover.

Many will not understand all the terms and conditions as it is written in Thai ( a whole book of 81 pages ) and as it is a contract for life there are many clauses.

it is like a protection against a loss of income when the one who is insured passed away, sum insured will be given tax free to a beneficiary.

The definition of life insurance ( wikipedia ) is :

Life insurance is a contract between an insured (insurance policy holder) and an insurer or assurer, where the insurer promises to pay a designated beneficiary a sum of money (the "benefits") in exchange for a premium, upon the death of the insured person. Depending on the contract, other events such as terminal illness or critical illness can also trigger payment. The policy holder typically pays a premium, either regularly or as one lump sum. Other expenses (such as funeral expenses) can also be included in the benefit

Hi cthierrymk,
You are absolutely right but the subject was about health insurance and my post was actually directed to thailand4me. I should have menntioned that, sorry about that..
So I repeat my question for Thaland4me. Please let us know the max cover per person per year of the health insurance part of your contract.

Thanks,

500cc wrote:

Hi cthierrymk,
You are absolutely right but the subject was about health insurance and my post was actually directed to thailand4me. I should have menntioned that, sorry about that..
So I repeat my question for Thaland4me. Please let us know the max cover per person per year of the health insurance part of your contract.

Thanks,

I have also provided the name of my provider in previous post but will not provide detail info for one simple reason.  Knowing the cost and coverage levels my policy provides may be a turnoff, for whatever reason, and the reader will never contact the company to explore the many cost/coverage plans they offer.

500cc perhaps you should call the various insurance providers and ask about their coverage options.

Hi,
Is stray dog the same as Thailand4me?
Anyway I see that you do not want to answer the question so we'll leave at that.

I visited Central Festival shopping mall this week and I discovered that the both life insurance providers were present there next to each others ( not remember which floor ), you can may be pop up to discuss with them : Muang thai life ( pink color ) and thailife( blue color ), it will be the best solution for you to get accurate answers to all your questions I think

Thank you

The list of Thai medical isurances can be found in Bangkok Hospital link : https://www.bangkokhospital.com/en/pati … insurance/

I had a health insurance from APRIL for some years but will change to ASN.

APRIL provided a good service, but hey were getting expensive. ASN is far more cheaper for my situation /age. The coverage is a little bit lower than APRIL, but the cost difference is huge (just 40% less). At higher ages APRIL and ASN are the same.

I am also looking for a life insurance. ASN is offering one with William Russel . But I will check other options, too (like AIS).

Sorry, I didn't know you had a Question, we are not the same people.   Patrick

Sorry StrayDog, I do not know what the coverage limit is per year, perhaps you could call them and ask.  Thai Life Insurance (medical).    Patrick

You are right they are not the same, however some life insurance companies carry medical insurance too, our does have full coverage if admited to the hospital they will cover 100% with a 2 bed room, if you want a upgrade to a private room it is 500 baht extra and if you want your spouse to stay with you another 300 baht. They also will cover you for travel insurance even to Canda & the USA. And they will insure you till you are 90 years old.  This is Thai Life Insurance with medical coverage. Good Luck to you.  Patrick