Uncle has died was renting property, landlord wants €4,000 no contract

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice. My Uncle died last month, he had been renting a property in Malta and last year had told us he had just paid two years rent in advance. His rented house is furnished with his furniture from UK but it appears the accommodation had furniture in that the Landlord claims has disappeared, the rent book does not show the advance rent. No contract was signed at the beginning of the tenancy (so landlord says) and he is asking for €4,000 to cover rent from last month, missing furniture & fittings & to re-paint the property. He wants to know when we are going to pay but of course my Uncle's money cannot be accessed at moment as waiting for paperwork from Malta. Do we have any rights as my Uncle has passed and would like to clear his property of his possessions? We have no way of knowing what was at the property in the first place or about the rent. Any advice would be great fully received.

jodiejo wrote:

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice. My Uncle died last month, he had been renting a property in Malta and last year had told us he had just paid two years rent in advance. His rented house is furnished with his furniture from UK but it appears the accommodation had furniture in that the Landlord claims has disappeared, the rent book does not show the advance rent. No contract was signed at the beginning of the tenancy (so landlord says) and he is asking for €4,000 to cover rent from last month, missing furniture & fittings & to re-paint the property. He wants to know when we are going to pay but of course my Uncle's money cannot be accessed at moment as waiting for paperwork from Malta. Do we have any rights as my Uncle has passed and would like to clear his property of his possessions? We have no way of knowing what was at the property in the first place or about the rent. Any advice would be great fully received.

i suspect someone is trying to pull a fast one
may i suggest you join a group called up in arms malta eu advisory group and if possible message patricia graham
she is really helpful when dealing with disputes between landlords etc  she would also be able to direct you in the right places if nesscary

hope that will help you

Did your uncle leave a will?
If he did who  are the executors, as they are the people who should deal with this.
If not then  contact a solicitor for some advice.
With no contract I guess the landlord will be in a weak position regarding the claim for money.
Also ask the landlord for the original signed (by both parties) inventory, so you can check his claim regarding the furniture.

Terry

I'd be tempted to tell him the truth.
You can't access the money as yet, but you'll be happy to pay any and all debts due.
All he has to do is produce evidence of his claim..just so the paperwork is in order.

** Don t accept anything the Landlords say - they (landlords) are well known in malta for seizing every opportunity to deceive and rob you of cash and or belongings.. had you lived there you would know this  -   if there is a will make sure it is enforced and english law enforced if you can... does he have a malta one? as that could be tricky

do not accept the statements of the landlord - the documents you say may have conveniently disappeared as most landlords keep copy keys and could have accessed the property prior to your arrival.

As rob says get in  touch with Patrica Graham - she is a worthy allie in these matters

PM me for details

do you have access to the property

problem solved - LL sorted out - OP happy and all thanks to this Malta Forum and its knowledgable users direction and  guidance to a committed person that could help with true hands on.

well done guys