Volunteering in Quito

Hi!
I'm Anna from Norway, and next February i'm going to Quito to volunteer. I'm planning on staying until the beginning of June. I know a girl in Quito after she had an exchange year in my town, and I really want to experience her country and culture, like she experienced mine.

Currently all I have is my flight ticket to Costa Rica, where I'm meeting some friends before heading to Ecuador alone. I struggle to find and choose a good volunteer organization, because there are few real reviews and hard to find second opinions about the organizations. It's important to me to find a good, well-organized organization that sincerely needs my help, and is not just after my money. So - does anyone know a good organization, where I can work with children? Maybe some of you have volunteered yourselves, or maybe certain organizations have a reputation. I understand there will be certain fees, and that's no problem at all, I just want it to go to the right people and the right cause!

Secondly, because I do not yet have an organization, I don't have a place to stay yet either. Some organizations provide volunteer houses, which would be perfect. However, it would also be cool to stay in a shared apartment with Quito students or others in the same situation like me! Does anyone know a good website where students in Quito look for roommates? I want to be able to have a good relationship with the people I share the apartment with.

I'm gonna stop here, so my post doesn't end up like a short novel, but I'm so excited to experience this and I'm glad I found this website and this forum :)

Hi,

There's a thread from a week ago titled "volunteering in Ecuador", I think you'll find it very helpful. Just scroll down the forum and you'll see it or search for it using the search function at the top.

Hello everyone,

travelxc wrote:

Hi,

There's a thread from a week ago titled "volunteering in Ecuador", I think you'll find it very helpful. Just scroll down the forum and you'll see it or search for it using the search function at the top.

Yes indeed here is the link to the topic : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=518502

Best of luck,
Bhavna

Hi! Thank you for your replies :) I read the post and it had a lot of nice information. I'm still hoping someone here has personal experience with any of the organizations.

And if anyone has travelled to Ecuador alone to work, volunteer, study - feel free to contact me, I'm very interested in hearing about it :D

Try Yanapuma Foundation. Their offices are in Quito and they can help organize volunteering for you in one of the projects that they support in Quito. You can google the name to find the website.

Hi! I'm actually already in contact with your organization! Excited to work out a plan for my stay.

If you are looking for some volunteering to do on the side, and you have a soft spot for animals, I would try the Quito-based "Patitas Callejeras" (search the name on Facebook).  They work with animals who have been abandoned, and there is quite a lot of work to be done, especially in Quito.  They are in dire need of both volunteer work and financial help.  I can give you more info if you'd like.

Good for you Any
let us know your experience
all the best

Hi Anna,

My name is Jean Paul  :D I recently joined yesterday..  How you doing?  Are you still in Quito?  Well,  I hope you enjoy your stay there.  I live in Santo Domingo it's like 2 hours from Quito,  I'm from New York.

Well take care,

Jean Paul

Hi there I am free this summer and would like to offer my services helping an elderly in Cumbaya with anything he or she may need.
Lucy