Plug Converter

Hey everyone (especially James),

I've got a problem finding converters for my electronic appliances. I brought some electronic devices with me from my home country and only brought one converter thinking that it will be available here. But I've gone through a few places like electronic stores especially and can't really find one. Does anyone know where I can find them?

Thanks.

Are you actually talking about the adapter from one plug style to the Brazilian standard, two or three round pin plug? Or are you talking about a power transformer from 110 volts to 220 volts or 220 volts to 110 volts?

If you're just looking for the plug adapter (outlet adapter) then Google "adaptador de tomada universal"

https://www.google.com.br/search?newwin … rMd-qIsfhc

If you're looking for the step-up or step-down transformer then Google "110 volt a 220 volt transformadores"

https://www.google.com.br/search?newwin … rMd-qIsfhc

Plug adapters should by available at any shop selling electrical supplies and most that sell construction material. Transformers are more difficult to find and are usually available at shops that specialize in electrical equipment or pumps.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Hey James,

Thanks for your post. Yes, I was talking about a plug adapter to the Brazilian standard 2 or 3 round pin plug. I'll look for it as you suggested.

By the way, is there a difference between the 2 round pin and the 3 round pin? Is the electricity output the same or different?

Edwin

Not really much of a difference. The 3 round pin plug is the "new" standard and all new construction will have it. The two round pin is still in use and most common all over Brazil. New electronics, small appliances and other electrical devices will have the 3rd pin, which is the GROUND wire.

The whole thing is really a joke since most construction uses the 3 pin sockets and only two wires, they're not using the third ground wire anyway. That said, you should never simply cut off the middle (slightly lower) pin. There is a 3 to 2 pin adapter that is quite cheap and readilly available if your residence has only the two pin sockets.

More important is to remember that Brazil has both 220 and 110 volt services, don't just assume that the outlet is one or the other because they use EXACTLY THE SAME SOCKET. If a socket is not marked as to its voltage, either test it with a volt meter or check with someone in the know exactly what voltage is used, some residences actually have BOTH.

Just another clear sign just how seriously screwed up this country really is. In other countries they have distinctly different plugs for different voltages. Só no Brasil mesmo!!!  rsrsrsrsrs

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team