Able to take drone through customs at Dubai Airport?

Hello Everyone,

l am flying to Turkey next week and l wont be taking my suitcase with me, just backpack and a drone l will buy fromDragon mall this weekend.

l will becarrying a it through my journey. My concern is do they allow me to take my drone through the customs at Dubai airport? Or will they throw it away?

Thanx

first u need to check with the airport customer service .

Habibi, l did it but they havent given me a clear answer :( One said there should be no problem and another staff said they dont take battery :( So l am confused and l am planning to go to Dragon mall today to buy a drone.

Hello Umut_teacher,

Logic would dictate that you not even try to take a drone into any country that is an area of conflict. The potential uses for a drone would have the net effect of raising a lot of red flags not only with Customs officials, but also with National Security officials as well. The very "best case scenario" you will probably be looking at is spending several hours in Secondary Inspection when you arrive in Turkey, trying to explain why you need a drone, what you intend to do with it in Turkey. You should be much more worried about the eventual consequences in Turkey, not whether or not you'll get the darned thing out of the UEA, trust me on that. Everybody there will be wondering if you're an Islamic State sympathizer trying to do some recon, or you're somehow going to use the device to monitor the movement of refugees. Either way, that could cause all kinds of headaches for you that you really don't want to know about.

I'd strongly recommend that you make your trip and enjoy the scenery and memories, but forget the idea of a drone completely.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello James,

Thank you for the information.

l wonder if l would be inspected in my home country, cos l am Turkish and l would state that l would be taking it home for my little niece.Or in that case l will not take it :( Drones are very expensive in Turkey thats why l wanted to take one with me.

Maybe l should call the airport in Istanbul to doublecheck.

Hi, i dont see why they will not allow a cilvilian commodiy. If it was bought from the country it means it is allowed. Only issue will be at the receiving end where some countries might have restrictions on imported stuff such as drone from a national security point of view

Moreover it needs to be checked in baggage not inside the airplane

Hope this clarifies

Yes it does Busniessmanx

Thank you very much for the clarification.

l actually went to the airport myself to make sure and they told me there d be no problem.

Usually Dubai customs at departure are not bothered about items purchased in Dubai.  I guess you will put the stuff in your checked-in baggage.  Hand carried will create a problem.

Hey Guys,

l just came back from Turkey.

l did take my drone in my hand luggage and l managed to take it to Turkey without any problems.

Umut