Withdrawal of job offer..need advise

Hi all,
Has anyone come across this situation? I got offered a job back in July with start date in September.I have signed the contract and filled all the required documents they required.The start date was approaching and I did not know where is the office and what time should I be there on my first day.
I phoned the manager couple of times he did not reply.After long hours i received a text message saying that the role is closed and they sorry about it wishing me  nice stay in Malta.
I was really shocked as this company is quite big in the UK with office here in Malta.
I feel really mad at wll this.I have moved here back with my familythinking  got the job, rented a very costly flat here  and now I feel so hopeless.I was wondering if this was even legal what they have done?Some friends are saying ho to ETC but i dont know exactly what department?
I feel really lost at this point..now cant even go back to the UK because  we signed 1 year contract on the tenancy and simply have no more noney.My husband works but its not enough to support 3 of us..
Anyone was in similar situation?

I would seek legal advice straight away.  If you have a contract in hand they are in breach of that contract and your probably due compensation of some description.  Expect them to attempt to try and get out and don't expect them to behave in a fair and equitable manner.  Your lawyer/legal advisor will likely tell you to ask for a meeting wit them and also look to contact their upper management.

Seek legal advise first and don't try and negotiate until you know your rights fully.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply.
I cannot afford a lawyer I am afraid and here in Mta I really dont know of any service like citizen advice bureau.
I am also not sure if ETC deals with it.

Well a quick google search shows that I think you have a case..

http://www.worldservicesgroup.com/publi … artid=1150

I would contact the ETC and ask, as they do give advise. Also don't exclude talking to a lawyer to at least get some advice.  Most lawyers will happily meet and tell you what your general options are as a free consultancy.

Paul

Hi amej,
these people might be able to help you or point you in the right direction.

[email protected]

I have emailed just now ETC and asked for advise on who to contact.

My advice to you would be to contact a lawyer - see where you stand legally on this matter. It is not as expensive as you may think to consult a lawyer - provided you do not go top of the range.Good luck - definitley not a good predicament to be in. Sandie

Ok uodate..had a chat eith ETC.I was told that the employer had a right to cancel job offer anf there is nothing I can do.
Well, seems like Maltese law is not very friendly.

I would still seek legal advise. They should have notified you

Ok update..had a chat eith ETC.I was told that the employer had a right to cancel job offer anf there is nothing I can do.
Well, seems like Maltese law is not very friendly.

do not trust etc simple as ...

go get a lawyer

Maltese will do whatever it suits them with little regard to laws or regulations .No sense of fairness or ethics.

Might be the case that the ''employer'' simply wanted a tax deduction or other benefits from offering an employment to a foreigner..
Happened to me that they ''employed'' (working without a contract, saying they will do it after one month) me, and asked me to sign a paper for ETC, what I latter found out, they would get a tax deduction of 600€ :
''A tax deduction of €600 in respect of every youth offered a full 6 months Traineeship by the particular employer.''