Registration process in the UK

Hi everyone!

I'm an Italian lady who would like to live and work in the UK. My plan is moving there as soon as I find a job. I'd like to know how to proceed once I arrived there.
Should I register at the city hall? Should I apply for a residence permit after 3 or 4 months of stay? I'm asking this because when I moved to the Netherlands, after a few months the local authorities asked me and my ex-boyfriend to apply for a sort of residence permit, despite being EU citizens. I know it is a contradiction, but that's how it works in Holland. We had also to prove we had an income.
Anyway, I would like to know what I should do, once I moved to the UK.

Regards,
Licia

There is (currently) no registration system in the UK similar to that operated in Holland.  If as an EU citizen, you wish to participate in local and EU elections, you will need to register on the Electoral register at the local town council offices.

Just to clarify the Dutch system; it requires everybody (including Dutch people) living in Holland for more than 4-months to register their accommodation address at the local Town Hall.  This is in addition to any visa requirements and being an EU citizen is nothing to do with it.

Hi, Cynic!

Many thanks for your reply! So, no registration is required in the UK, unless I want to vote and that is fine.
As for the Dutch registration system, you're right. You have to register yourself at the city hall if you plan to stay there for more than 4 months, apart from your nationality.
But my question was also about the residence permit. Me and my ex had to apply for it, despite being EU citizens.
I'm asking this because I don't want to have "surprises",  once I arrived to the UK.

Good morning!

I am from Spain but living in England, I've never understood if we need to make the Spanish Embassy aware or not and if it makes any difference.

Any idea smart people? :)

Many thanks, this is not my thing.

Sandy

Not sure to be honest; many years ago (80's) my wife (Dutch national) had to register at the Dutch Embassy, but when we moved back here in the late 90's it was no longer required.  I suspect that Schengen had a lot to do with that.

Best contact the Spanish Embassy in London if you want definite information.

No such thing in the UK for EU citizens. You can register at the local electoral register. This helps with getting a credit record. You will also need to pay council tax which is easy to set up online with your local city council. As for medical insurance, I'm not 100% sure. 10 years ago you would go to the nearest GP practice and register. They didn't even check my passport. There is a fair chance that as a EU citizen you're still eligible for NHS as soon as you arrive. It's paid from your national insurance contributions. It's quite good compared to health services I was used to on the Netherlands. Still, you might consider private insurance as well to avoid months waiting for treatment. I only have experience with emergencies.

Hi Gerben!

That was what I wanted to read! No residence permit to do. I want to be prepared before moving to the UK and I don't want to repeat the experience I had in the Netherlands. Thank you!

Have a nice day,
Licia

Hi Sandy!

I don't know how it works for Spanish citizen. You shoul contact your embassy and ask them. I'm Italian and when we move abroad we have to warn the Italian embassy, to "make the residence" in the country we moved to.

Bye bye!
Licia

Hi Northern Star!
If you want to work here, within 3 months of starting work you need to register for National Insurance (at a JobCenter office). Best to do it as soon as you start, you need to book an appointment, it can take 2 weeks or so. If you get turned down on your first application (usually because you don't have the right paperwork) then you have time to book again within the 3 months period. It is illegal for your employer to keep you employed if you don't produce either a valid NI number, or proof that you have a pending application.
Your council normally registers you for council tax automatically when you rent a place - unless you share, in which case you register yourself at the city hall. No residence permit is required but you can apply for one if you want, you can find details online. Some employers will ask for a 'blue card' (residence permit) even though EU citizens don't need to have it. After 5 years of working here you can apply for permanent residence and/or citizenship.
Once you work and have a NI number you can register with a local doctor (GP) for free NHS medical care. Also with a dentist for cheaper subsidised dental care. You can also send your Italian driving license to the DVLA to have it exchanged for a British one. You don't need to do it but you will find that insurance is more expensive on a EU driving license. Apart from an interview for the National Insurance registration, and a visit to the doctor and dentist, all the other things can be done online, by post or by phone.

Thank you!

Hi

If you can speak English. I am happy to offer job in restaurant. As you new people I will hold one month salary. In case you left the job. Your salary will be hold. If you ending job with one month notice. You fullmoney will be given you.

After three month you officially UK permits holders. Let me know.

Abduls, I am pretty sure what you are proposing is illegal in the UK, and also anywhere else in the EU.

Hey man I like this proposal, are there still chances to work ?

Hope to hear from you

It is illegal, and anyone would be crazy to take up that offer.

I have an EU passport thats why I want the  job offer. I will like it as a part time job while doing my school internship alongside. Even if its full time I will still like it

Please anymore job offers ? does somebody know something to help ?