Shipping to DR from US

I've read a bit about Encargo on the forum here, but nothing super recent.  Has Encargo Pac Miami gotten better/more reliable?  Is there an alternative?  And is the posted $3.80 per pound? And I'm assuming ITBIS  is import tax??  But, considering the prices and the amount to furnish a small house...I'm trying to figure out if it's worth having everything we need just shipped and delievered and we'll set up shop over two weeks after delivery.  Or am I deluding myself?  I just don't necessarily want to shop all over DR over a two week period and end up paying essentially what I would have paid shipping it all at once!  Plus, I'm looking into getting my temperary residency so that I could also exercise the container option...but, containers cost 4k...and that would have to be less than the taxes and fees from Encargopac.  Has anyone done this lately?

Encargopac is for smaller items. I use CPS and have been very happy. Anything shipped that is under US 200 is tax and duty free. That is value of all items combined per package. And you must show receipts to prove value.

ITIBIS is the value added tax between 16 and 18% and it is not duty. You will pay both on everything shipped in a container without filing residencia.

In the long run you are probably better off buying locally when you get here.

Bob K

I  agree with Bob. buy locally if its available. you will not save much. unless you send a barrel. then you can save some.

Hey Texas where you been honey????

planner wrote:

Hey Texas where you been honey????

I  had gone to work in a little town in Arkansas and they had zero internet service.

Wow you found the only place in the world with out a Starbucks :D:D:D:D

Good job!

Bob K

Welcome back honey.

A friend of mine in Las Terrenas who works for an American friend told me about a company called Shipping Quest that the American apparently uses alot to have stuff shipped down... Has anyone else heard of them? She seems to like them alot.

I have never heard of them.

Bob K

Thanks Bob. Anyone else?

Obviously not a well known company

Bob K

But does that necessarily mean not a good company? Blue Barrel isn't well know either... My friend who is Dominican and lives in the Las Terrenas area. She works for an American who lives there, has for some years now. The American gave her the name to give to me saying she uses it alot and is pleased with the service.  They have pretty good reviews online. Anyways just wondered. Thanks!

Blue Barrel is not a company, but the common color of the barrels that stuff is shipped in by various companies!

Did not say it was a good or bad company just that no one here on the forums evidently knows of them.

Bob K

Exactly,  and if they are good then we all want to know about it!

Well then guess I'll probably be the guinea pig and have to tell....   :)

Excellent,  make sure to let us know!

Great.  Let us know if we have another referral company use of another one to avoid.

Bob K