Poetry readings in Mauritius?

Hello, I'm Susanne, who, as a lucky (old, English-speaker) person, comes backwards & forwards to Mauritius. I'm wondering if the are any poetry events here? As I cannot see anything like that on this site, and haven't heard of any or found any in my progressions around various parts of this divine isle. If there are no open-mic events here maybe I can volunteer to see if I can find some places to run some - in the months I am here? Then maybe there might be other people, who might do some volunteer-spots while I'm not here? No hurry, it will take a while to find venues, and set up, and - we could even begin with beginners, or maybe what's called 'doggerel'  - which is a lot of fun (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerel). It is possible to create events for any/all ages Any thoughts? best wishes, & Peace, old Susanne
P.S. If you are interested, try searching 'poetry readings 2015' and see the huge amount going on - worldwide - particularly poems for peace. xs

I would love to join  in with you. Please keep me informed
Thanks Barbara

Sounds great!
If there were any chance, would like to go

Thanks, Barbera, that is exciting!

In the meantime, may I ask you a few questions - to help set put this idea.

First, if you can think of the types of locations/venues you would like - to be in - for events like this?
Poetry reading lends itself to many different environments - blankets right on the beach, in a deconsecrated church, or a community hall, out in the air for a park picnic...  I would love to have your feedback there. Maybe as you are out and about, just keep this idea in your mind, and see what appeals to you!

Second, thinking about times/days of week - some feedback on your views about this would be great too! I'm thinking maybe Tuesday or Wednesday night, early in the evening, to run for about 3 hours - a bit of a meet & greet, performances, then a little closing session -

Plus, I'm thinking maybe we can have the first event last week of April, 2016, so the weather will be cooling down then and that will be enough time to find a good venue, structure this event, apply for any necessary approvals, publicise the event and get interest and then people who want to read/perform and create a programme and print that.

So, please, tell me openly, what do you think -  does this plan appeal? If not, please may I have your suggestions.

And finally, please may I have your views on a theme for the first event - to set the scene - and to invite people to contribute/perform to. Maybe something very general - like 'Ille de Maurice', or  'personal happiness', or 'world peace in our time'?

It is my experience that maybe 6 or 7 people might register to read on the night for the first event. Then it can quite quickly snowballs because of word of mouth.

It is lovely to have someone to chat to about the idea, so again, thank you!
Best, old Susanne

Thanks, also, Shawza, I didn't see your post till now!
And, may I ask you a few questions - to help set put this idea.

First, if you can think of the types of locations/venues you would like - to be in - for events like this?
Poetry reading lends itself to many different environments - blankets right on the beach, in a deconsecrated church, or a community hall, out in the air for a park picnic...  I would love to have your feedback there. Maybe as you are out and about, just keep this idea in your mind, and see what appeals to you!

Second, thinking about times/days of week - some feedback on your views about this would be great too! I'm thinking maybe Tuesday or Wednesday night, early in the evening, to run for about 3 hours - a bit of a meet & greet, performances, then a little closing session -

Plus, I'm thinking maybe we can have the first event last week of April, 2016, so the weather will be cooling down then and that will be enough time to find a good venue, structure this event, apply for any necessary approvals, publicise the event and get interest and then people who want to read/perform and create a programme and print that.

So, please, tell me openly, what do you think -  does this plan appeal? If not, please may I have your suggestions.

And finally, please may I have your views on a theme for the first event - to set the scene - and to invite people to contribute/perform to. Maybe something very general - like 'Ille de Maurice', or  'personal happiness', or 'world peace in our time'?

It is my experience that maybe 6 or 7 people might register to read on the night for the first event. Then it can quite quickly snowballs because of word of mouth.

It is lovely  to chat to about the idea, so again, thank you!
Best, old Susanne

Hi Susanne
As I'm not on the island as yet the area would depend on where the interest comes from.  All your venue sites sound lovely maybe we could vary the venue for every meet.  If it's going to be for 3 hours I would opt for mid afternoon.

Cheers for now

Thanks, Barbara, for your valuable input here. I think I see what you mean.... to call for expressions of interest in performing first, and then to find the venue?

The other point you raise is because there is generally a bit of a Q & A/de-brief, preferably at the end. Alternatively after each reading, but that breaks up the performance aspect too much (in my view).

I was thinking to begin around 6.30/7pm and finishing around 9.30-10pm - a time when it seems a lot of Mauritian are just setting out to find somewhere to eat?

thanks again, best, Susanne