Making phone calls in the USA

Hi,

When settling in the USA, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in the USA?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

:one

I have never seen a house that isn't prewired for a landline.

Two of the biggest cell phone companies are Verizon & Sprint

Budget all depends on what you want and if you want to bundle in other services as most offer landline, cable, internet, & even cell phone plan packages....data packages for cell phones add up fast.

Many get telephone, internet, and cable packages.

In my opinion depends how long you are planning to be in the country - the best thing to do get you a pre pay phone from one of the service providers....

- T-Mobile being the cheapest
- ATT
- Verizon
- Sprint
- and other small networks - google it online

Budget should be with the hardware if you don't have one max - $50

- $20 for the phone
- $30 for service and activation

Then you will decide if you want a land line or mobile phone

- there are other options as well if you are going to have internet connection where you stay
- voip => viber, whatsup, skype, googletalk, tango, etc...

Yes we have a pay as you go phone.

Loaded their SIM card into our unlocked phone and then put money in the account.  It costs  us $2 a day for unlimited calls and texts.  Not a bad deal if you are only going to be in the US for a shorter period of time.  This plan is with ATT

Bob K

hello bright house networks for landline, tv cable runs at $180 a month with a cheaper rate for international calls , but in this day and age few people have a landline as with technology  a apple phone its easier to face time , as for mobile phone you can go with or without a contract and can get plans from $40 a month bear in mind you may have to pay a deposit  due to having no credit history this applies to electric and water usually too, or for tv internet you can go with direct tv get it a lot cheaper but sign a 2 yr deal, always the option if you like with mobile phone to do pay as you go walmart does this so that way you can shop options with best deals and not rush in

My mobile operator is Metro PCS.  I pay $70 a month, which includes unlimited calls to landline numbers in South Africa, speak as long as you like, as many times as you like.  Unlimited internet data too!

Republic Wireless offers an interesting alternative to the big companies. You can make phone calls over the Wi-Fi or mobile network (Sprint). This way is not only cheaper, but you can use your US number overseas - as long as the Wi-Fi is available.
Another option: Skype. You can have a number from any country and receive phone calls on the computer (or Android/Windows phone). There are access numbers for regular phones to make international calls for pennies.

The best and cheapest way is to go "Page Plus"  prepay (no bills) you can get 400 minutes for $25 00.it uses the Verizon network and  last for 2 months before you need to renew.

My name is AHMED (MEDDY) S.

T-Mobile being the company that revolutionized the wireless industry in the USA is by far the one to consider over others.
I am a Tmobile employee in sunny Clearwater Florida and can help you with your wireless plans whether it is prepaid or postpaid service.  Tmobile delivers where others can't with an amazing coverage and supplemental coverage solutions like Wifi calling where reception for other networks is unavailable in essence making every wireless hotspot your own personal tower.
Plans for prepaid monthly service start at $35 or per use for $0.10 / unit of text or call and a range amazingly low prices for postpaid individual and family plans starting at $50.
If you live in Tampa bay or are planning to visit the Tampa Bay Area do stop by my location on gulf to bay Blvd in Clearwater,fl or email me at ahmed.

I am multilingual and culturally diverse.

je parle français
اتحدث اللغه العربيه
I speak English
Я понимаю Русский

You may want to get a pay as you go throw away phone, they are used often by people wanting to keep a low profile.  For international calls Skype or others like it work well.

Been using skype to call france . For us  calls and data I got a iPhone and an att plan with a deposit I got back after two years.

lucieus wrote:

Been using skype to call france . For us  calls and data I got a iPhone and an att plan with a deposit I got back after two years.

That works well also.

What are the other cheap plans if I stay for 15 days..I need for 60 mins talk time..lower than 25$

ranita_g80 wrote:

What are the other cheap plans if I stay for 15 days..I need for 60 mins talk time..lower than 25$

Just use public phones :unsure

I have a Mini Ipad which I load with Viber application  Viber can call anyone  with a viber.  So a advise my friends to load viber wo we can talk.   I can use my Ipad  viber to call locals 1800 numbers. My Mini Ipad has also the FB where I can call and send messages to on with an account.    To call to my country where some of my relatives have only cellfons and no internet, I have a vonage account which I pay for 35 a month.  I can call unlimited to my family overseas.  Here in the US, I have a pre paid fon which I load on the average 20$ for 3 to 4 months.  I use my vonage home fon / or my viber account when I am at home so my prepaid  minutes are saved.