Making phone calls in Switzerland

Hi,

When settling in Switzerland, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in Switzerland?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

Well I have seen many use Swisscom packages that offers TV channels, internet and phone ( landline) that is SMS capabled too.
I have rented my place furnished including all utilities so I can't give more information.

But on cellphone operators, there are three main operators that have got my attentions Swisscom, Orange and Lebara. Each of them have their special packages and everything but qualitywise seem to be the same when you buy a prepaid sim card.

After getting the residency card, you can convert your sim card to a post paid on Swisscom which will offer a monthly contract in which you can go for options of unlimitted calls in different continets , unlimited sms es and unlimited high speed 4G internt. For me calls to other continents did not matter as I am Iranian and it was not included in the offer so I opted for unlimited calls in Europe Zone 1 ( which covers western Europe) and unlimited texting and internet. It was the cheapest package for 75 CHF per month.

Also when traveling to other EU countries, I buy the internet data package in advance so that I have data network in that country.

this was my experience.

Hello! I can't answer about landlines, but I can share my experience with a Swisscom mobile pre-paid line. I use this service https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/ … smart.html -
"Natel Easy Smart" - and it is very good for someone who uses their phone as little as possible.

You pay 60 cents of franc for the first minute of call to any Swiss network, and then the rest up to one hour it is free.

Only it is important to remember never to let your credit end, since then you won't be able to receive any calls.

As for calling other countries, I always use Skype; either Skype to Skype, or Skype credit calls.

There is also Sunrise. Lebara does not propose landlines.

There is much cheaper at the Swiss post office you can buy an abonnement Salt (ex Orange) for 39.- Frs a month. This includes unlimmited calls (on mobiles and landlines) in Switzerland, Europe, USA, Canada , includes as well 1 GO internet and unlimites sms. With possibility to buy additional GO. The contract can be released any time.

Hello,

I lived in Lausanne for 4 years but left at the end of 2013 so i am not sure if the options i suggest are still around but most likely they should be.

For International calling i used a service called 10787, so you dial a fixed number first and then dial the international number. This worked out much cheaper than using swisscom. You can get more info on rates on 10787.ch. The only slight downside is you get charged local call rates for calling this fix number, in addition to paying for the Int'l call charges to 10787.

Second good option for Int'l calls is to get a Lebara sim card which is usually available for free from any small grocery. Lebara calls are very cheap for Int'l calls plus they offer some packages for certain countries. You can call them and check. But please be cautious not to use Lebara for local Swiss calls as they are Expensive!

Other than this you have the option of getting a Orange or Sunrise sim which offers you unlimited/free calling to Europe and US under some of their packages. It makes sense if those are the destinations you are interested in.

As for landline i was forced to subscribe to City Cable as my area was only covered by them. But i never used the landline for any international calling.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Lalit

Currently my mobile operator is Airtel and my monthly budget is 1000 INR.....