Making phone calls in Poland

Hi,

When settling in Poland, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in Poland?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

Hi,
- For landlines there are several operators; Vectra, UPS, Orange, ..., as soon as you rent a place, give them a call and you'll get the phone line installed the next day.
- For mobile, main are: T-mobile, Orange, Play, Plus.

Budget: landlines: 0€ for local calls: landlines to landlines.
              mobile:  between 10-80 €/monthly.

Hi Maximilien,

I have a landline, but getting it was a confused process involving the worst features of the old telephone monopoly (which took pride in depriving people of any standard of service), and the newer market economy (sales guys complicating my life with things I didn't need, to get a commission). It is now useful mostly for calling abroad (mostly North America), at excellent rates if one uses cards such as Telerabat or Telegroszek, and sometimes for longer calls with those friends and workmates who still have land lines, but otherwise mostly a way of practising saying "Nie, dziękuję" to telemarketers. If you're new in the country and cannot get a mobile subscription (I think you still need more than a temporary residency arrangement, for this), it may be worth it, at under 30 zl. a month, if you're going to be calling a lot of land lines.

For mobile calls, you can get a pre-paid card. I'm simply going with an arrangement from years ago where my (few) calls cost 74 gr. a minute, and my text messages 20 gr. No doubt you can do a lot better if you shop around, though don't be too discouraged if you run into a certain amount of confusion marketing. A friend came from abroad for a short time and was promised a temporary arrangement at a good rate with a given card, only to be told -- once the card package was opened -- that for the enclosed card the rate was actually higher and that no one can tell, before opening the package, if the card goes with the promised rates. (Yes, he really was told this. When he persisted in complaining about this, it was suggested that foreigners are too argumentative.)

For all my misgivings, I'd far rather deal with the providers here, than in my home country.

There are many choices when it comes to mobile phones; all alledgedly offering you the best deal. Check out various networks and look carefully at your anticipated usuage. Take your time and make sure you are clear regarding contract length; notice period; calls / sms allowances etc. before signing up. Initially DO NOT sign anything for more than 1 year. You will have great difficulty breaking contract without incurring a large penalty. There are also plenty of pay-as-you-go services if you don't have many calls. It is now reasonably easy to switch from one provider to another.

If you anticipate a lot of international calls and having a fixed line then check out international all-in packages. Orange have one for EU, USA, Canada, Australia with unlimited free calls that is only about 15zl more than the monthly line rental. As noted above a penalty applicable if you break contract. If no fixed line then Skype or one of its competitors provide services where via internet calls can be made to most countries. Again many different services available so do your homework first.

Another option for international calls is a sim card service like Lycamobile if you only want to use mobile. Again needs checking out carefully as to get really low cost / free calls both parties need the sim and there is generally a minimum monthly top up.

To sum up
1. Decide on the type and quantity of calls you are likely to make.
2. Check options carefully before signing up.

HI Maximillien;

I am here in Poznan for about 90 days. I arrived 13 Sep and I took out the SIM card of my iPhone, and replaced it with an Orange Polish SIM card and a Polish cell phone number. I put a 100 zloty initially and have not made many calls. It still has about 43 Z remaining. I send emails, made one call to the US. The trick is not to lose your original SIM card if you ever return. Best of luck.

Vr Martin

Go to Orange and get a pre-paid sim card. Setting up a landline can take a long time in Poland.

When I arrived in Poland I immediately made a SIM with a mobile company. Which operator? Choice was driven by company reputation. Shortly after I made a DSL connection and I am doing all of my calls via VoIP (i.e. Skype, etc...).

In this regard I am asking: is a land line still needed today?

"Setting up a landline can take a long time in Poland".
It is probably true but not in large cities. I live in Krakow and Orange came to connect my internet and the land-line two days after I called them. This is provided that you flat/house is connected to a telephone line from outside and majority rental and new developers flats/houses have that.

You do not have to live in a large city; my town is about 60K population. Orange, the old state utility, has provided very good service here. However a word of warning before using their ASDL internet. Check the actual connection speed is as promoted before signing up. I signed up for 20MB but found the service was erratic and error prone. After investigation I was told I was at the end of the line and that if I wanted a reliable connection I should change to 10MB. The real downside is that Orange will not cancel my 2 year contract.
Further warning double check what the sales people in the shopping centres tell you. I won't say they lie but they are often ignorant and are only interested in their commission.