Making phone calls in Peru

Hi,

When settling in Peru, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in Peru?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

To get landline from Movistar you either need a carne de extrano (perm residency) or a Peruvian DNI (nationality). If you don't have one of these and you can persuade someone who does have one to get phone account in their name that is an alternative. Cost about S/70 in setup fee and for phone + internet S/129 per month. There are many plans and special offers. In Cusco installation took about a week

There are several mobile operators and any one can get pre-paid chips by showing passport. To get post-paid you need carne or DNI. Perpaid starts at S/5 for a certain number of minutes or data.

In Lima we use Movistar for fixed line, 15 mbs internet and TV with HD channels and movies - that costs S/.360. I also have a Claro mobile that costs S/. 105 per month for the plan. Movistar is in the name of a resident with DNI and Claro came when I received my CE (Residency). Claro also do a fixed line, internet, TV package, however, they wanted to re-cable the whole apartment and any lost or broken cables would be down to me to repair!! We asked them to leave and stayed with Movistar. Without residency you will need help from someone who has or a Peruvian with DNI - the companies have no problems with that and we pay through our Peruvian bank online - that needed someone with a company to introduce us and we set that up with our passports.