Making phone calls in Mexico

Hi,

When settling in Mexico, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in Mexico?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Sharing of external links / groups / websites not allowed.

In the 7 years I've been in Mexico, I have found Telmex to be as reliable as any for making phone calls in Mexico.
Internet is another part of the equation and Telmex  has been spotty for speed and reliability.
I tried to get Megacable twice but they were never able to do a complete install complaining they didn't have all the equipment.  Friends who have had Megacable for years are quite satisfied.

With some exceptions, cell service is good enough in most places that a landline may not be necessary.  Cell phone calling plans with or without data are getting to be quite reasonable.  Companies have some weird policies so check carefully with friends and contacts.  Just like every service in Mexico, it's a matter of finding out from neighbors.

For calls to and from the US, I have a $60/yr plan from Skype that gives me a US number for incoming calls and unlimited calls to the US.

I looked into Axtel but it didn't seem to have any advantage for me in price.

Telmex won't take a foreign credit card for payment on the Internet.  I usually go in person where they do take my credit card.

Telmex does not service our small community for landline or Internet.  Telcel is the only phone and Internet option that works here.   I had a smart phone with Internet contract but it was over 500 pesos a month and didn't use it enough.  I dropped that for the Amigo plan that costs 50 pesos a month.   Internet is a Telcel USB modem that costs 622 pesos for 10 GIGS a month

sparksmex wrote:

Telmex does not service our small community for landline or Internet.  Telcel is the only phone and Internet option that works here.   I had a smart phone with Internet contract but it was over 500 pesos a month and didn't use it enough.  I dropped that for the Amigo plan that costs 50 pesos a month.   Internet is a Telcel USB modem that costs 622 pesos for 10 GIGS a month

Good thinking.  I was considering a USB modem but since the new apartment includes Megacable 10MB, I may just stick to wifi hotspotswhen out of the house.

I have the PA200 plan for 200 min voice, 200 text and 200 MB data which is cheap at 200 pesos a month but if you run out of MB, you can't start another PA200 till the end of the current period., you have to but an Amigo data only package and with Amigo, you can't find out how many MB you have left.

Wherever you move, ask around and investigate all options.

I built a house here so won't be moving soon. Only Sat TV so no chance of cable Internet.  Telmex with definitely take their time because this is a relatively poor community.  They also install phone lines way before bringing in the hardware for Internet.

The USB modem works for me and I need it.  Even VOIP called a US 800 number last week to activate my new Visa card

I live in Tepoztlan, a pueblo of around 14,000 people.  It is close to Cuernavaca, Morelos.  I had a home phone service combined with internet service installed this past May by Telcel,   It took only a few days to get the phone installed.  There was a problem with the internet for about a week.  Since then it has worked perfect.  The price of the combined services is about 400 pesos (more or less $24.00) per month which includes unlimited calling to the USA!  There is a charge of 1.3 pesos per outgoing call over 100 calls per month.  I also have Iusacel (spelling?) cellular service for another 200 pesos per month which includes some internet service.  There are some spots with no/weak service.  Competition has brought about some very economical service in the last year or so.

billrut3 wrote:

I live in Tepoztlan, a pueblo of around 14,000 people.  It is close to Cuernavaca, Morelos.  I had a home phone service combined with internet service installed this past May by Telcel,   It took only a few days to get the phone installed.  There was a problem with the internet for about a week.  Since then it has worked perfect.  The price of the combined services is about 400 pesos (more or less $24.00) per month which includes unlimited calling to the USA!  There is a charge of 1.3 pesos per outgoing call over 100 calls per month.  I also have Iusacel (spelling?) cellular service for another 200 pesos per month which includes some internet service.  There are some spots with no/weak service.  Competition has brought about some very economical service in the last year or so.

I think you mean Telmex not Telcel.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Not respecting forum rules
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Vonage is the only way to go.  free calls to 60 countries. $30 a month.

There are lots of links in English that people can find themselves for making calls to and from Mexico that do work.  Yes, some of them are hard to understand and you may have to spend a couple of dollars the first time due to mistakes.  But once you find out the right way, you can make your own note on computer and in your smartphone.

Being a US citizen, I found that a Skype plan that gives me a US number and unlimited calling to and from the US and Canada handles 90% of my calls.  Within Mexico, now that they are charging the same for local and long distance, I have a cellular plan that covers another 8%.  For the other 2%, Google.  And sometimes I do leave a note in Dropbox if the situation were to come up again.

Based on moderators comments I can not post this:*** when moderators ask about phone calls in Mexico because it is my web site but I can post any other link with same material and not get banned for 5 days?

geesh

Take a look at your visas and phone calls pages.  Photos are covering text.

I just switched from TelMex for phone and Internet to IZZI for phone, internet (50mega service)and cable tv.  I found TelMex internet to get slow or go out too often.  For US phone calls I use a service called OOMA that requires an OOMA box and an internet connection.  The OOMA service allows you to get a US phone number anyplace in the US that you choose.  It costs me $3.47US a month for unlimited US phone calls.  People calling from the US call my OOMA phone number which is a local US call.

I have an unlocked Samsung Note 4 for TelCel phone service in Mexico.  I have no monthly plan and just add minutes at the local Mega when I need more time.

I also use a VPN router that shows my location in Cuernavaca as being in Phoenix Arizona ($85US a year and the cost of the router).  Can watch US Netflix, HULU Plus plus online Directv satellite service streamed to my TVs (I have Directv in my home in NY so it gives me online access for free).

I have Telcel also and a local friend told me to get free U.S. calls just load your card with 200 minutes . Works for me.

I have a low-end cell phone for local calls. I use Skype to call anywhere else. The only problem with Skype is it will not call 800 numbers in Mexico, but it will call them above the border.

When in Mexico I just use the internet.  The message is there when ever who I am trying to reach is not available.  I don't plan to live in Mexico where internet not available.  that is just too fear from God.

For the last three years I've brought my unlocked smartphone to Mexico, swapped SIM cards, paid 100 pesos for three months of local and long distance calls in Mexico and away I go. A new TelCel SIM card also cost a net 100 pesos. When I returned to San Miquel de Allende I even got to use the same number! I'm going to Oaxaca this winter so I'll be getting a new SIM card with a Oaxaca number! Easy peasy! Follow my blog at xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not promote your own website on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
FelipeZapata wrote:

I have a low-end cell phone for local calls. I use Skype to call anywhere else. The only problem with Skype is it will not call 800 numbers in Mexico, but it will call them above the border.

I don't quite understand this. Are you saying that Skype can not call Mexican 800 numbers or 800 numbers in the US?

This is only about calling 800 #s from Mexico, but it belongs in the same topic so…

DIALING 800#s from MEXICO

-    To dial to a 1-800 U.S. number: (international rates apply)
Dial 00 + 1 + 880 + phone number (usually 7 digits)
-   
-     
- To dial to a 1-888 U.S. number:
Dial 00 + 1 + 881 + phone number (usually 7 digits)
-
-   
-    To dial to a 1-877 U.S. number:
Dial 00 + 1 + 882 + phone number (usually 7 digits)
-
-   
-    To dial to a 1-866 U.S. number:
Dial 00 + 1 + 883 + phone number (usually 7 digits)

Warning--if you're calling customer service for a company in the states, you might end up being billed for calls to Bombay. Trust me, I found out the hard way (950 pesos!).

Doug

I guess that this is where Skype would be a distinct advantage.

+1 for Cablevision/Izzi internet/phone packages from within Mexico City and Estado de Mexico. Support can be a bit slow but once everything is up and running it's top notch. They have competitive long distance/international rates as well.

With Skype you used to be able to tell it you were in the US no matter where you might have been.  I never tried it in Mexico because the minutes were included iny cel plan.  Calling an 01 800 number from my Telcel cel is just like calling any LADA number.

Does anyone know how to dial numbers with the prefix of 664 from a landline within Mexico? I believe it's a cell number prefix!
I've tried 045 first, 01 800, nothing works.

Thanks

did you try 044?

Land-Line Phone Calls Within Mexico:
Land-line to local land-line: Dial the seven digit number (i.e. 924-1234)
Land-line to long distance land-line: Dial 01 & the ten digit number (i.e. 01-999-924-1234)
Land-line to local cell phone: Dial 044 & the ten digit number (i.e. 044-999-924-1234)
Land-line to long distance cell phone: Dial 045 & the ten digit number (i.e. 045-999-924-1234)

yes...it's a cell but from which carrier I don't know.

Sometimes only the 7 digits are needed even if it's landline to cell.

I guess you mean to omit the 664 ext and just call the 7 numbers. I haven't tried it but cell numbers always require 10 digits here - thanks

It has worked for me from a Telmex line to local cells against all reason.

thanks - I'll give it try.

After re-reading this thread it appears 664 is the LADA (area code), no?
01 664 7 digits should do it.  664 is the LADA for Tijuana.

I did a Google search on "mexico numeros de telefono que empiezan con 664."
It turns out other people were asking about it.
the best recommendation was 01 664 --- ----
No indication anyone had success.
There was one hit that talked about a call from a particular number about winning some kind of prize.
Good luck.

To wkramer:  You have a VPN that allows you access to USA programming, however, what is the cost of those sites that stream to you in Mexico.  Is it free?

Netflix costs money wherever your subscription is.  For a US account it's now $8.99 a month for 2 simultaneous connections.

Hulu Plus costs $7.99 a month with commercials and $11.99 a month without.

Amazon Prime costs $99.99 a year.

You can get a Directv account if you have a residence in the US to have service in for as little as $29.99 a month.  Since we still live in the US most of the year our account is many times that amount since we have access to everything they offer except for the sports package.

I believe that US netflix and hulu require a US credit card for setting up otherwise no one would get them in the countries they live in.