Making phone calls in Ireland

Hi,

When settling in Ireland, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in Ireland?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

look when u come here dont worry about land line as it is quite frankly overpriced
just stick with mobile network 2g   3g   and now 4g also in some places
when u arive just go to any tesco store and buy  a sim card if your phone is unlocked and a ten euro top up
that should keep u going for a few weeks till u see how other networks work and price range
if u also need phone the just buy dumb phone for ten r 15 euro and a tenner top up
it will keep u going for a while till u see more phone offers in shops
tesco is the cheapest network while settle in for first few weeks

Agree with post above. I still use my Tesco dumb phone, and only top up once every six months with ten euros (with ten euro bonus credit each time). I use a wifi iPod for email, Skype, and most of my other communication. If you need a smartphone and data plan, you can use the throwaway Tesco dumb phone until you have seen the different offerings of the mobile suppliers here. 

Good luck!

I uses a VOIP operator called Vomino ( http://vomino.ie ) where I pays €9.99 per month with unlimited calls to landlines in Ireland, Europe, USA (plus mobile) and Canada (plus mobile). 30 minutes of calls to mobile in Ireland and Europe are also included. You get a new Irish landline number or you can port existing number if you have one. You need existing broadband to use Vomino. You signed up online and the equipment is shipped next day. You can start making and receiving calls once you receive the equipment. There is no contract. They offer also 30 day money back guarantee.

I didn't bother with a land line until I started a business, and to be honest, I don't think I use it even once a month. I pay about €20 every 5-6 weeks to top up my cell phone on Three.

I went with Meteor.ie's Sim only (holding a network independent dual sim phone). The package seems fine - now in rural setting so probably to test the data package I'll have to wait until living more urban in a week or two.

We use Skype for 2.70 Euro a month to call the US unlimited. Free if the other person has Skype and happens to be online. I call my sister on her US landline all the time.

We got a landline from Eir when we first lived here. I do NOT recommend doing business with that company. There is little or no consumer protection in Ireland and Eir takes full advantage of this. We ended up paying them 100 Euro to just go away.

We have a VOIP landline via our brilliant local internet provider now. Haven't used it once, but it only costs anything if we call out. We retained our old number from Eir.

Our everyday phones are little dumb bells from Nokia. I've had mine for 10-15 years and it continues to work brilliantly, doing everything I want a phone to do--make phone calls. We pay Meteor ten Euro a month for unlimited calling to land and mobile phones within Ireland.

I never thought of Tesco (there isn't one in my area) but will look into that if I ever need to. Thank you to those who wrote about it.