Making phone calls in Canada

Hi,

When settling in Canada, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in Canada?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

It depends on where you will be moving to. In the East it's Bell, in the prairies, it's sask tel or MTS (Manitoba Telephone system) or Shaw. I'm not sure what is out west. Telus? Depending on where you move, it will likely be already set up for a landline to be installed. You would need to purchase a phone, or I think you can just rent a phone from the phone company. The cost depends on if you want free long distance or voice mail, call display all that. Phone companies are really eager for new customers since everyone is getting rid of landlines and using cells nowadays, so I can't imagine it would be very expensive. When I cancelled my landline (MTS) they were so desperate to keep me, they offered me a $2.00 a month deal for 12 months. If you "bundle" your phone services with TV and internet it is also cheaper. We were paying about $200 a month for all three together.

Sorry just saw your question again and forgot to answer "what are the mobile operators?" -again depends where you live, but all the landline companies will usually also offer mobile. I use Rogers which is Canada wide.

Get a phone number and Canada and USA free calls for one year for 40 cad cost. Connect the magi jack equipment into your internet service