Making phone calls in Cambodia

Hi,

When settling in Cambodia, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in Cambodia?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

Don't bother about landline. Not worth the trouble.
Mobile operators: Mobitel/Cellcard (best service), Smart (cheapest), other operators include: Metfone, QB, and possiby a couple of irrelevant smallish ones.
I have dual sim in case on service has an outage. For both Mobitel and Smart I pay about $5 per month (including calls back to Germany and some internet use).

I agree with JanKrohn, hardly anyone uses land lines in Cambodia these days as the cost of using mobile phones is extremely inexpensive and more convenient.

Do you think it's worthwhile getting a local provider if we are only in the country for 3 weeks?

John

That would really depend on whether you're planning to make or receive any calls within that 3 weeks...

agree with whats already said, $1/free sim from most convenience stores, $5 top up should see you through

We'll be in Cambodia nearly 4 weeks and yes, we'll be making and receiving calls during that time

John

Thanks a lot Dodogrand

Regards

John

Metfone has poor internet

I like both cellcard and smart. I use metfone if travelling to remote parts of Cambodia on my motorcycle as it has the best coverage.

I use Smart. As mentioned before. it's cheap. And the coverage is very good (in the city areas). Even if you're in the country for a few days it's worth getting a local SIM card for the convenience and so people can get in contact with you. They are cheap and you don't need to sign up for a contract. After you leave the country you can just thrown away the card.

My Sim has a voip prefix, i.e. you add a number before an international number and it's 15c to UK. No one tells you about it though, you need to google the cheapest way to call. -- The government wants all sims to be registered now so you might need a passport.

If you want the cheapest way to call the UK, buy a smart sim, and you only pay 7 cents per minute, without adding prefixes etc.

If you are from Australia and are with Telstra.as your provider I found you are automatically with Smart.

Most of the small shops do not require an Id. or passport. If you get the SIM at the airport or an official shop then Id will be asked for.

lifemagic wrote:

My Sim has a voip prefix, i.e. you add a number before an international number and it's 15c to UK. No one tells you about it though, you need to google the cheapest way to call. -- The government wants all sims to be registered now so you might need a passport.

Just one more quick point, if you are flying Bangkok Airways they will give you a free SIM card on-board (I got one last month and also 3 months ago). The SIM card will be valid for 3 days. It can then later be extended, but you will have to pay for the top up.