Making phone calls in Botswana

Hi,

When settling in Botswana, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in Botswana?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

Hi
if u need landlines phone u must submit application at btc botswana telecommunication office so that they will install landlines phone and there three operation in botswana for mobile operators and monthly budget 2000 to 3000 pula.. thanks...

BTC (Botswana Telecommunications Corporation) is a state owned organisation and the the only provider for landlines. The installation comes at a cost, but I can't remember how much we paid, it definitely wasn't over P1000 that's for sure. We don't use our landline as we don't want any unexpected phone bills, we primarily got the landline because we had to in order to get ADSL internet. We pay around P500 per month and this is the gold package. There are a few mobile operators - Mascom, Orange and BeMobile (who are part of BTC). We find the providers are adequate, but we are looking into dropping BTC and finding another internet provider, one that uses satellite connection. BTC's supply can be unpredictable and they are not good at keeping customers informed, internet goes down and you have no idea why or when it'll be back up. As previously mentioned, we are paying for the gold package and it's okay (when it works at full capacity), but I feel it could be better. There are changes happening in Botswana to improve connectivity, increase WiFi hot-spots and so on - but this has been going on for over a year now. I just feel BTC are a bit behind or lazy in keeping up with these improvements, I don't think they're use to competition.