Buying a car in Panama

Hi,

To be able to move in Panama, a lot of expatriates think of buying a car, whether new or second-hand.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in Panama: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

It is easy to buy a car in Panama. 7.5% is the tax (I.T.B.M.S.). The Japanese and Korean brands are the most popular, so if you want to avoid problems with obtaining parts stick with these brands. Prices are equal or slightly less than in the U.S. Good cars under 2 years old are available at Automarket (Dollar rent-a-car). You can check their website.  Their cars have a six month warranty, in addition to the remaining factory warranty. They will do the paper work for you. You should be ready to go in two days.

I bought an 18 month old Hyundai Tucson from Automarket and the car has done well over the last three years.

New car dealerships are all over the place.

If you want to take advantage of the Pensionado visa you can get a deferral of the tax, which will have to be paid when you sell the car.

Preferably, buy a small SUV which will give you more ground clearance than a car.

automarketpanama.com/

When buying a new car in panama I was told all I need is the pensionado cedula-E- which qualifies

me for the tax free payment, then I was told by the dealer I need to go to the American embassy

with proof I am retired and am living here on a permanent status. Which is it as going on 25yrs

living in panama and I have my pensionado cedula -E. tks