Buying a car in Ecuador

Hi,

To be able to move in Ecuador, a lot of expatriates think of buying a car, whether new or second-hand.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in Ecuador: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

Most Expats here do not seek a drivers license, and IMO it's primarily due to the language barrier.

To get an Ecuadorian license, these are some things you may need to do using Spanish or receiving instructions in Spanish ...

-- Get your blood tested at Cruz Roja.

-- Pass a test that examines vision, reflexes and hand-eye coordination.

-- Pass a hearing test if the Agencia doctor so orders, and buy a hearing aid if indicated.

-- Answer correctly 16 of 20 questions in a multiple-choice test.

-- Defend, explain and/or supplement your submission of paperwork with an Agencia agent.

Other reasons Expats do not seek a drivers license include ... fear of Ecuadorian drivers ... fear of punishments a judge could order for road violations ... lack of road signs ... road dangers produced by mudslides, earthquakes and other natural disasters ... and U.S. paperwork.

For an explanation of the last-mentioned item, U.S. paperwork, visit the Car Lovers thread, reachable by using the searchbox at the top of this page.

cccmedia in Quito

I personally would not buy a car from an Ecuadorian owner you just met or are connecting with for the first time.

What would you do if the guy's nephew drove their car away just as you had handed over the payment?  Petition the fiscal?  Call the cops?  Demandar at the tribunal?  Is your Spanish good enough to navigate the Ecuadorian legal and law enforcement system?  Do you think hiring an attorney will produce a good result?

My point is... I wouldn't risk it.

cccmedia in Quito

If you buy a used car at a bona fide dealership as I'm suggesting, your paperwork is not done when you exit the lot.  After all, T.I.E. -- This Is Ecuador!

There are four organizations you need to visit within 30 days just to complete the transfer of title, according to our resident Car Expert here in Quito, GMC(SW).

For more about this, visit his Report #3 at the Car Maintenance and Repair thread on the Quito forum....

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=515996

cccmedia in Quito