New members of Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2015

Newbie on Puerto Rico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Puerto Rico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

P.S : The thread
New members of Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourself here – 3rd quarter of 2015 continues below!

Hey!  I'm a 30 year old computer programmer who currently lives in Silicon Valley working for SurveyMonkey.  Me, my wife (also a computer programmer) and our two sons (4 years old and 2 years ago) have decided to move to Puerto Rico early next year.  We really want our boys to grow up bilingual and feel the best way is to give them at least a few years in a spanish speaking area.  This is the 2nd time we've attempted this, we spent a year in Chile with our first boy but moved back to the states when my wife got pregnant for the 2nd time.

We are still researching the areas to figure out the best location to live and I'm flying out at the end of November to do a scouting expedition.

The most important things for us:
- Good schools for our boys, the 4 year old will be starting kindergarten in September.  We want either full spanish speaking or bilingual, no schools that focus on English.
- Good fishing, I'm a spearfisherman and would love to do it more frequently, its not as pleasant to do out here in California since the Pacific is so cold.
- Housing should be reasonably priced with a yard, we will be renting for at least the first year while we get familiar with the areas but we would love to do some basic gardening even while renting (its a great activity for the boys!)

We are big into Kayaking and Scuba Diving and hope to find some of that on the Island as well!

Welcome to the Forum,
Sounds like the best areas for you are in the east of the island, Fajardo, Ceiba, Humacao. Plenty of Marinas, Spear fishing, small islands like Culebra and Viequez, plus many Atols to visit and scuba (Water in the 80's).

A lot of houses can be rented for 6 months to a year for around 400 to 600 a month and most will have a little land to do some gardening. You can also live just a mile to 5 miles from the beach and get a place with 1/2 to several acres of land if you are really into it, while still close enough to hit the marinas. I have a realtor that can show you the area when you come to scout the area, let me know if you want his info. You may not want to live right up the marinas as the smell may bother you.

The San Juan area (More expensive and Crowded) is the preferred areas for most mainlanders due to English and nightlife.
The West cost (Rincon) is very popular with English speakers looking for English Schools and a support community.

I recommend the East Coast, because of your affinity to the water and Scuba, you will be 45 minutes from San Juan when there is little to no traffic, expect to double that with traffic.

Expect to pay around $20 dollars (maybe less) per Square meter of land if you want land.

Internet service can be unreliable and varies by area so you may want to have a backup like your phone in case it goes out, this is assuming you and your wife want to continue to work remote for mainland companies. Local companies pay a lot less and unemployment is high, around 12%.

Let us know what specific questions you have by creating a new subject. It is ok to create multiple different subjects if you want.
Welcome to the party
Rey.

You are welcome to  visit me where I live on the east coast in a development called Palmas del Mar in Humacao. There is a private school called the Palmas Academy.  There are many housing options and I am sure you can negotiate a good rental.   I have met several families like yourselves who telecommute to their mainland business. Living on the east coast gives you greater access to other islands and there are some large marinas.  So do your research, let me know when you will be in the area and come to visit.

Welcome to the forum! We are here to help so feel free to ask..... :D

I'm a 28 year old computer programmer, as well, though I'm self employed. I, my wife, and my two boys (one nearly 4 and one nearly 6) will be moving to PR in January. We are planning on moving to Aguadilla, hopefully to Ramey, specifically. We've been to PR several times already for vacations and we're ready to make the jump and can't wait to get there.

Now we just have to get the house ready to rent and get our stuff sold...We've already found a couple of private bilingual schools that we're interested in, and one has availability in January so that's where the boys will start when we arrive. We are looking to relax, slow down, and enjoy life a little bit. I'm hoping I can get into Scuba and that maybe the family will want to do it with me. We'll be renting for the first 6 months to ensure we like living not only in Puerto Rico, but in Aguadilla specifically. Once we're sure we're in it for the long haul, we'll be on the hunt for a house with some land so that we can start up a little farm.

Lots of programmers here. While i work in security i am also a programmer.
You are young, hope tou have something lined up with mainland companies

Renting for 6 months or a year is the smartest thing you can do before committing to the island or a town

Rey - I'm self employed. No need to job hunt, I can work anywhere in the world. That's one of the many perks of my job.

Sorry I figured you meant a consultant, not that you had your own business

No need to apologize. I just wanted to clarify our situation. When we had the discussion to move, my main point was that I am free to work from anywhere and I don't particularly want to stay where we're at now. We may as well try someplace new and someplace with better weather (I hate the cold). That's how we ultimately ended up on moving to PR...

Smart!

Hi. My name is Larissa Santiago and hails from the Philippines. [Moderated]. We have very beautiful beaches here in my country. :)

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not promote your services
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone and welcome to Expat.com  :)

@issa0409, please register yourself in the business directory > Tourist Guide in Puerto Rico as promotion of your services is not allowed on the website. You may advise but not propose your services.

All the best,
Bhavna

We have stayed in many parts of the island.  Spanish only schools sounds great but will be a hard and long journey for you and your kids. Private schools here cost more then colleges and most aren't worth the money. No substitute teachers which can cause issues in people's lives.  I highly recommend homeschooling. Lots of support on the island. We live on the west coast in Rincon and highly recommend this area.  Public schools are a joke on the island. Don't make the mistake of enrolling your children.  Rincon has a great mix of English and Spanish people.  We have a 3 bedroom 2 bath. Water included for $500 a month.  Lots of things for children to be involved in here.  Please let me know if we can assist you and your family on a visit to the east coast.

Hello everyone,

Welcome on board  :)

@ sandrarduncan, to whom is your post intended to please ?

So that the member can come back to you.

Cheers,
Bhavna

Hello and welcome aboard.  We have lived in PR for two years now.  Our first year was in Mayaguez, and our second year we bought a house in Rincon.  We found we were spending more time in Rincon because our children loved the beaches here, so we figured this was the best place for us.  There is great snorkeling around here, and Desecheo has some beautiful scuba diving.  Our daughter graduated from Inmaculada high school.  It was all Spanish, but the books are in English.  Our son and niece attended WALKS which was bilingual (3 classes in English, 3 in Spanish).  Both schools are private and located in Mayaguez.  My son transferred over to Inmaculada this year and is loving it.  Both schools are excellent.  We do have a friend who's daughter is in the public elementary school here in Rincon.  She is very pleased with the school and teachers, and her daughter loves the school.  This is an exception.  Check out the public schools before enrolling.  Usually, private or homeschool is the way to go.  Good luck to you!!!

Hello, been here for a bit. I check in from time to time. Married to adlin20 who is also here. Live north of Fort Worth Texas and just finished our vacation/retirement home in PR and looking forward to moving permanently there as soon as we can. Been in the states for a total of 23 yrs give or take.

Hi everyone!
I'm English and my husband is from the US. We're in our mid twenties and moving to Palmas del Mar in the coming weeks. He'll be working remotely and I'm interested in filling my time with volunteering or something along those lines. I've been reading the forums like crazy, so thought I better introduce myself even though I have nothing to contribute at this stage!
Hopefully see some of you around soon!

Welcome to the forum Carolyn.
We are here to help where we can and share our experiences. Ask away

Hi Carolyn,

Good to meet you.  We are moving to northern PR after the first of the year.

Sitka
JP

Thank you for such a warm welcome. We are thinking of Puerto Rico as a retirement destination and trying to find out as much as possible. It certainly would be easier than other countries we have looked since we are citizens. Can you tell us some of the cities that are the safest and most reasonable cost of living for seniors? We would prefer the coolest climate possible but safety is the greatest concern. Thank you.

If you are looking for cooler temperatures think closer to the center of the island, north east or west. South is hottest part. Consider a driving distance of 15 to 20 minutes to the closest beach. The center is mostly mountains and hill land lots are larger, small comunities, people keeping an eye for each other which is more personal. Comunities like Urbanizaciónes, have houses very close to each other, are more subject to crimes and noice. I prefer country living over city living.

If you prefer being close, A condo anywhere in the island, up high can be breezy and more secured since there is a single way to get in and out. But you have to hear couples fight, toilets flush, loud music, etc.

Take a look at this site, it has a map of the island, hit the menu Cities, and you will be able to see all the towns, were they are located and as you select each one you will learn a little about each town. Http://welcome.topuertorico.org

A lot of people go to the following towns: San Juan metro area, condado, isla verde, rio grande, luquillo, fajardo, humacao, ponce (hotter and drier), cabo rojo, mayaguez, rincon ( a big favorate with large eng community like San Juan), aguada, aguadilla, isabela, dorado.

Every person likes a different part of the island for different reason.

There are 5 islands also, 2 inhabited (culebra and vieques) and 3 that are not habited (caja de murrtos, desecheo, and mona).

As to safety, mostly use common sense, dont show money, jewelry, and expensive electronic around, dont flount your money. Never leave stuff in your car.

My place is in Ceiba on the east coast.

Hi,
I am retired from New York and living in Palmas del Mar. I am very comfortable here and recommend that you put it on the list of places to consider.  Please let me know if you want a tour (by golf cart!)

Hi Carolyn,
I live in Harbour Lakes in Palmas del Mar.   Let's meet up for a chat and to share some information.  You can PM me or sent me an email at *******
Carroll

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hi.  My husband is A federal employee and we are being transferred to Puerto Rico in the next three months. We are 40 somethings and although we both speak Spanish (him better than me) we are looking for English-speaking people in the San Juan area who can share their experience with us regarding food, shelter, cable service and everything else regarding living in Puerto Rico.  We appreciate all comments and help.

Is palmas deal mar near San Juan?

Hi Carolyn, did you get any good feedback with your question.  I am also moving soon and only my husband will be working so I need something to do all day.  Did You find your volunteer project yet?

MLSR wrote:

Is palmas deal mar near San Juan?

Palmas del Mar is on the east coast, in Humacao. About 45 to 60 munutes from San Juan.

We have travel 3/4 of the island and have lived in 3 area . Rincon is definitely best.  Lot sif expats and transplants .Easy to make friends and lots of English speaking people .Very safe.  Housing is affordable. Mayaguez is about 30 mins away during a heavy traffic day .  Rincon is a small community and everyone know everyone. Every Thursday evening they have an art walk and every Sunday the farmers market.  This town has lots of beaches. Several a surf beaches.  Besides the ocean there are areas of Rincon that are mountains worth beautiful breathing views .And your only 10 to 15 mins from town depending where you live.  Bqn airport is about 35 mins away in aguadilla and mayaguez has a small airport if you need to fly running to San Juan( the flight bis about 30 mins).  Please let me know when you are planning a trip.  I would love to meet up. Show you around and if you want to adventure of this side of the island I can show you

Welcome! We are looking forward to meeting up with you and your husband at the flea market in Sabana Grande in December!

Thank you so much for your offer and information on Rincon. We may consider it after the holidays. Helps a lot to know someone in advance of visiting or moving to another country.

Thanks much. Lots of great info to research.

Hi, my husband's company is transferring us to Puerto Rico this year. He will be transferring back and forth between here and there until our children are done school in June and we move there. Our three children are potentially going to be attending the Baldwin School and coming over in February to look for a home in Guaynabo. None of us really speak any Spanish except for my oldest who speaks a little. I wanted to see how it will be for us not knowing the language at first. We will all be taking lessons to hopefully learn. My husband will be working and kids will be in school, so not sure what I'll do with my time. Suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks so much!

Welcome to PR.
You will get clearer and more specific answers if you start 1 or more specific topic. There are also a lot of posts already answering a lot of common questions. Subjects like schooling, what to do, meeting other expats, volumteering, moving, best places to live, shipping, cost of living, etc.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=553909

Thanks! 

Closed