Getting started on Visa

Do I have to go to Panama city to get my visa or can it be done from David, Boquete?

What would I need to start the process?  Besides proof of income.  Is it really that hard to do with a good lawyer?

We have been on a visit to the area and plan to do more before Wife's retirement.

Any & all info. is greatly appreciated

It has been a while since we completed the process (2009), but the last time I checked, it is better if you use an attorney in PC since you will need to go there to complete the process.

With a good PC attorney (sorry you will have to ask others for a recommendation), then it is to your advantage to start the process in the US and basically just finalize when you arrive in Panama.

There is so much that you have to do via a US Panamanian Embassy - authentications of docs, etc. when you find the good PC attorney, they will guide you!

Best Wishes!

La Migración is on Tumba Muerto road (Calle Ricardo Alfaro) in Panama city, so the answer is yes. You do need a lawyer so the main hassle is getting the documents. You need an FBI report and proof of income of at least $1000 per month for the rest of your life. Add $250 for each dependent. Most people use a letter from Social Security. A marriage certificate may be needed. Documents will have to be Apostilled by the Secretary of State in your state or authenticated by a Panamanian Consulate.

There is no need to rush to get your Visa. What if you do not like it here after a year or two? You are out of pocket $2000 to $4000.

We have chosen to wait till I start collecting SS in 2017. At that point we will be here over two years and no FBI report is needed. Just a local police report. We will go with the Pensionado Visa which is the least expensive and easiest to get.

Yes, we do have to do a border run every 90 days. We make a weekend out of it in a beautiful town in Costa Rica called San Vito. A great drive and easy border crossing! We fly back to the states twice a year so we are only doing 4 border runs.
More info on our blog:
thepazeras.wordpress.com

Cheers and best wishes!
John & Susan

Susan gave excellent advice.  If you decide to do it now anyway, find yourself a local attorney.  Ask other gringos who the have recently done this.  Your attorney will tell you exactly what you need and get you a multi-entry visa.  It takes about 2-3 months and then you go to PC to complete the process.  Your attorney will probably have a driver to pick you up from your hotel early in the morning and you will be done by noon.

The lawyer who processed my Pensionado Visa has offices in Panama City and Boquete. I am not living in Panama full-time, but I am very happy that my husband and I applied for the visas right away after arriving in Panama City.  Many places require an ID and having a residency visa makes life easier.  We were able to use the Pensionado for a 25% discount on Copa Airlines, RX medicines, entry fees at museums, and other tourist attractions.  Why wait 2 years, unless you cannot afford it.  Even if you choose not to stay in Panama, or consider becoming a part-time expat, the Pensionado is a very good thing to have.  It is a good feeling to be a legal resident of Panama, even if you choose to be a part-time expat or just a visitor.

If you PM me, I will send you our lawyer's information.  I do not post the information on an open forum.  The lawyer charged $2,300 for a couple and only required $500 in cash to start the process.  She spoke excellent English and everything went smoothly.

Work on the Visa and bank account at the same time.  Both are a roaring pain in the @#$% due mostly to US issues  .  A good lawyer is an oxymoron in any country and especially in Panama where lawyers do not seem to have any code of professional standards.  Just try to find one that speaks English, don't pay up front, and hope for the best.  Do as much as you can in the US before you go to Panama to finish the process.  It should not be that difficult, but it was for us and we still don't have a bank account.  We must come back to Panama for a fourth time to appear in person.

garyholl wrote:

A good lawyer is an oxymoron in any country

A rather intemperate remark.

Just a note on the timing of documents: documents are now considered current so long as they are dated within 6 months prior to applying.

You are correct, but, regrettably,  I suspect a substantial majority of people would agree with me.

I'm confused. You mentioned 2 trips to the states but still say you do a border crossing 4 times a year. Wouldn't it only be twice if it's every 90 days and the states trip would be 2?

Can you send me your attorney's name? I don't know what PM means.

Chertitus,

Two trips back each year. 2 border runs each year so a total of 4 border runs in 2 years.

Two trips to the US each year. Two border runs twice a year for a total of 4 for the 2 year duration till we apply for our Visa's.

PM means private message.

Can you send me your attorney's name and contact info. Thanks so much!

CherTitus:

A private message, or PM, is so members can communicate through the Forum and not have to give out their personal email address.

To send a PM:

Login, go to the green strip above where you see the words NETWORK    PICTURES    FORUM.

Just above, you will see symbols that look like an envelope or bell.  Click on the envelope and it will open a send a message box.

Fill in the name of the person you want to send a message to and write the message in the box and hit send.

Note:  If you have received a message, you will see a red mark on the envelope.  Just click to open.  If there is a red mark on the bell, it means you got a "Thumbs Up" from one of your comments.  I will give you a thumbs up on one of  your posts so you can see how it works.

Hope to hear from you soon for the lawyer's info!

Does the $1000/mo income for life test need to be from one continuous source?  I have an annuity that is for 10 yrs and then another immediately after that continuous for the rest of my life.  Both are in excess of $1,000/mo.  I'm 60 years old and won't be eligible for SS for another 5 years.  But, that is also in excess of $1,000/mo.  Do you expect that would satisfy the requirement?

Sounds like a question for an attorney.

panama.offshore-services.com/retired-pension-program.htm 

It is always best to contact a an attorney for your specific requirements,  But, until then, the above site has a pretty good list of visa requirements.  It may help for now.

There is another Forum member who has knowledge of some of these type questions, Steven Rich, MBA.  Hopefully he will add some information.

You have to ask an attorney. FYI - you don´t have to be collecting SS to qualify. An SS document that says ........at age 62 you will collect x, at age 64 you  will collect y and at age 66 you will collect z is good enough. You can get it off the SSA website or sometimes SSA will routinely mail it to you. That is what we used four years ago.

Thanks!  I hope that'll work for my wife and I.

SunsetSteve wrote:
garyholl wrote:

A good lawyer is an oxymoron in any country

A rather intemperate remark.

SensitiveSteve  --- er rather ---SunsetSteve -- during your research, did you happen to come across whether there is a minimum residency requirement under the pensionado visa for registration in the Panama public health system?  Thank you for any information you can provide or tips for further research.

You will not want to participate in the SS health care here except for maybe a flu shot.  It provides basic coverage but as an expat, you would be using valuable resources that are set aside for the Panamanian people, not non-citizens.  This isn't a rich country and the health care system does not have much funding for it's indigent population.  Regardless of your income, you would still be considered rich to most people in Panama.
Where are you settling?  That will make a difference when getting health care and doctors.  It also would help knowing the location to recommend an attorney. 
Also, you need to show you have $1200 a month of verifiable monthly income from one or more sources.  If that is your only income it will price you out of PC and Boquete.