Fiancee visa approved, allowed to work?

hi everyone who has been approved fiancee visa, I have few concern about the fiance visa, would greatly apprciate if you share your ideas..

I have granted a Fiancee visa last week and looking forward to get my fiance visa card soon.. heres my concerns:

a. after we get married, we will pass documents again for family reunification/spousal visa and it will take so long again just like waiting period for fiance visa?

b. and if I send the papers for the spousal visa, does it guarantee that I can stay here in Norway while waiting for spousal visa?

c. Am I allowed to work using fiance visa? and if we send paper for spousal visa and waiting for the renewal, am I still allowed to work?

pleasee if anyone have knowledge on this, pls enlighten me... thank you so much in advance!

Hi hage.lad..I can answer your question base on my knowledge and what I have experienced Regarding your questions.

A.you can apply a family reunification/spousal visa once after you get married..processing it can take 9-12 months,I applied last April and they grant my spousal visa 5 months after submit my application in Politi.

B.yes you can stay in Norway while your application still on process but take note your not allowed you travel out of Norway as your application will be pending and a big possibility you can't enter in Norway again because you still don't have a legal permit in Norway.

C.sorry but I am not really sure about this.only based on my experiend we have been in skatteten office to ask if I can get even a temporary personal number but was not possible.you can work but it's illigal to work without personal number if the authorities catch you it will be a possibility will lose your application so better don't take the chance , so probably you can't work bacause you need a personal number which is you can get it later after they grant your spousal visa then you can book an appointment through portal account if you have or you can call UDI to book an appointment in politi or where your going to hand your application.it take 10 days after you have been in politi ,also ask when you hand your spousal visa application on how long your application will takes..

Ps.you can ask your husband about personal number in Norway so he can explain you more.

hi hage.lad

as far as i know, like berai said,  u need a personal number (or Norwegian national ID number) which you will get after you Report a move to Norway from abroad.. reporting a move to Norway is only applicable if your residence permit is valid for more than 6 months,  and a fiancée residence permit is only valid for 6 months.. with this, that means technically a fiancée visa isnt enough to be registered as a "resident" in Norway.. thats why you need to get married after 6 months,  and then apply for a family reunification with spouse.. which will then grant you a new residence permit (usually for a year, but can be more depending on what was given to u).. and this spouse residence permit valid for at least a year will allow you to report a move to Norway, thus u can get ur personal number..

in addition, be able to get paid at work, you need a tax card which is an electronic card number where ur income taxes can be settled... you can order this from skatteetaten as well after you acquired ur personal number and had already been employed..

altho i saw this in the skatteetaten site: Tax deduction cards for persons without a Norwegian national ID number.. however,  this is only applicable if you intend to work AND stay in Norway for less than 6 months.. but since what you have is a fiancée visa and u have intentions to get married within 6 months and settle there afterwards,  then like what berai suggested, you can just wait for your new residence permit after marriage and use that to get your Norwegian national number..

Hi,

In my experience, I report to politi 3 days after my 1st day in Norway. After 2 weeks I got my residence card valid for 6 months. We went to skatteetaten with my residence card to report my move and ask them if they can issue me a personal number as well the woman said it is possible. In the less than 2 weeks I got the letter from skatt with my personal number (first six digit is your date of birth). I was able to get a part time job during summer and we order a tax exemption card since it was only a part time work. 

We got married July 9, and submitted my renewal of residence permit August 3 and still waiting the result. Started my norkkurs as mostly they required good knowledge in speaking norwegian in every job vacancies.

hei Berai, I was aupair 2 yrs ago here in Norway and I have person nummer already, a month before my aupair visa expires we applied the fiance visa and it took me nearly 13 months before it was approved, now that I have visa im not so sure if I can work even thoughht part time..

hi pheebz, when I was aupair they issued me person nummer and I have skatt kort which is ready anytime when i get job (my host mom before was working in skatt office and she applied me for that before) and since I cant get job while waiting for my fiance visa, I havent get my skatt kort/tax card... my concern is when we apply for spousal visa and it took months again, am i still allowed to work? soo confusing..

hi Anne, since u got married july 9 and applied aug 3 for family immigration and still waiting now can you work? and can I start with norwegian course in Voksenopplæring? or should I wait for the family visa before I start norskkurs?

berai wrote:

Hi hage.lad..I can answer your question base on my knowledge and what I have experienced Regarding your questions.

A.you can apply a family reunification/spousal visa once after you get married..processing it can take 9-12 months,I applied last April and they grant my spousal visa 5 months after submit my application in Politi.

B.yes you can stay in Norway while your application still on process but take note your not allowed you travel out of Norway as your application will be pending and a big possibility you can't enter in Norway again because you still don't have a legal permit in Norway.

C.sorry but I am not really sure about this.only based on my experiend we have been in skatteten office to ask if I can get even a temporary personal number but was not possible.you can work but it's illigal to work without personal number if the authorities catch you it will be a possibility will lose your application so better don't take the chance , so probably you can't work bacause you need a personal number which is you can get it later after they grant your spousal visa then you can book an appointment through portal account if you have or you can call UDI to book an appointment in politi or where your going to hand your application.it take 10 days after you have been in politi ,also ask when you hand your spousal visa application on how long your application will takes..

Ps.you can ask your husband about personal number in Norway so he can explain you more.

hei Berai, I was aupair 2 yrs ago here in Norway and I have person nummer already, a month before my aupair visa expires we applied the fiance visa and it took me nearly 13 months before it was approved, now that I have visa im not so sure if I can work even thoughht part time..

pheebz0501 wrote:

hi hage.lad

as far as i know, like berai said,  u need a personal number (or Norwegian national ID number) which you will get after you Report a move to Norway from abroad.. reporting a move to Norway is only applicable if your residence permit is valid for more than 6 months,  and a fiancée residence permit is only valid for 6 months.. with this, that means technically a fiancée visa isnt enough to be registered as a "resident" in Norway.. thats why you need to get married after 6 months,  and then apply for a family reunification with spouse.. which will then grant you a new residence permit (usually for a year, but can be more depending on what was given to u).. and this spouse residence permit valid for at least a year will allow you to report a move to Norway, thus u can get ur personal number..

in addition, be able to get paid at work, you need a tax card which is an electronic card number where ur income taxes can be settled... you can order this from skatteetaten as well after you acquired ur personal number and had already been employed..

altho i saw this in the skatteetaten site: Tax deduction cards for persons without a Norwegian national ID number.. however,  this is only applicable if you intend to work AND stay in Norway for less than 6 months.. but since what you have is a fiancée visa and u have intentions to get married within 6 months and settle there afterwards,  then like what berai suggested, you can just wait for your new residence permit after marriage and use that to get your Norwegian national number..

hi pheebz, when I was aupair they issued me person nummer and I have skatt kort which is ready anytime when i get job (my host mom before was working in skatt office and she applied me for that before) and since I cant get job while waiting for my fiance visa, I havent get my skatt kort/tax card... my concern is when we apply for spousal visa and it took months again, am i still allowed to work? soo confusing..

anne2510 wrote:

Hi,

In my experience, I report to politi 3 days after my 1st day in Norway. After 2 weeks I got my residence card valid for 6 months. We went to skatteetaten with my residence card to report my move and ask them if they can issue me a personal number as well the woman said it is possible. In the less than 2 weeks I got the letter from skatt with my personal number (first six digit is your date of birth). I was able to get a part time job during summer and we order a tax exemption card since it was only a part time work. 

We got married July 9, and submitted my renewal of residence permit August 3 and still waiting the result. Started my norkkurs as mostly they required good knowledge in speaking norwegian in every job vacancies.

hi Anne, since u got married july 9 and applied aug 3 for family immigration and still waiting now can you work? and can I start with norwegian course in Voksenopplæring? or should I wait for the family visa before I start norskkurs?

i apologized for not replying underneath your comments, im quite new here hehehe, but thank you thank you for the info.. ;)

Hi you are allowed to work, it is legal to work under fiancee permit and even when you submit renewal of permit after your marriage.  But with norkkurs, the school is looking for a family reunification visa for you to take it for free. Since i am still waiting mine, Voksenopplæring said I need to pay until I got my new visa. It was ok for my husband to pay so started the class last august 17.

hi hage...

i guess it is really confusing  :unsure
anyways,  since you already have a personal number and a taxcard, then i guess this just depends on the employer... as far as i know, employers in Norway can't hire people without a valid residence permit... ur fiancée permit is good,  as long as it is valid... we all know that the waiting time in acquiring the new residence permit after marriage depends if the politi in ur area have the power to grant ur application.. if they can, u can have ur new residence permit in a couple of days or weeks after submission.. if not, then like berai's case,  it can take months.. i dont know what the repercussions are if u are working during the time when ur in "limbo" - ur fiancé visa is expired but ur still waiting for ur spouse visa... u are legally allowed to stay in norway but technically,  u have no valid residence permit during limbo...

if u got a concrete job offer while waiting in limbo, this will actually allow u to be eligible to apply for a work permit instead.. however, there are pros and cons, an example is what anne mentioned which is the "free tuition for language courses" u get with family reunification permit, that u dont get with a work permit... but work permits get decided a lot faster than a family reunification permit..

this is what UDI says to employers about employment of non-EU/EEA nationals:

www.UDI.no wrote:

Employing someone who already lives in Norway
- Foreign nationals who are going to work in Norway normally need a residence permit. Foreign nationals can be granted a residence permit in Norway on grounds of, for example, labour immigration, protection (asylum) and family immigration.
- It is your responsibility as employer to check that foreign employees have a valid residence permit.

you can read more here: Employers: Employing someone who is not an EU/EEA national - www.UDI.no

so in summary: in legal terms, you are not allowed to work in Norway without a valid residence permit.. and during the period when ur fiancée permit expires but you are waiting for your spouse permit, technically you have no residence permit therefore you can't work or seek employment..

Hi Pheebz and Hage,

The politi said you have the same ground as fiancee visa while waiting for the new residence permit even your fiancee visa expired already. So if fiancee visa allows us to work legally, it is still the same even if we are still waiting for the new permit. My husband called the politi about it and they send me mail confirming it.

If you are still in doubt Hage, it is best to ask the politi in your area.

oohh... thanks for sharing that anne..  well, i guess that really depends on what the politi has to say... they all say different info..  :unsure

anyways, i guess it depends more with how the employer thinks ur status is :P like i said, it really depends on the employer if they will offer u employment or not, based on what visa ur holding... just a few weeks ago,  i was actually in conversation with a headhunter for Norway who lost interest in me after finding out that i dont have a residence permit yet  :P altho he didnt say its because of that, he just didnt say anything AT ALL after i told him i have no permit yet  :lol:

Hi hage
I don't have so much knowledge on your situation but thanks to Pheebz for sharing her useful informations and knowledge😉.

The reason why they don't issue a personal number was because my fiancé Visa card was already expired and was already waiting for my spousal visa  and so I don't have a valid permit in Norway. The UDI called us and ask if my husband and i live together in the same address they grant my spousal visa 2 days after we talked on the phone.

Good luck for your application👌😉