Boyfriend in Norway Under NAV

I am a Filipina and I have a Norwegian boyfriend who is under NAV due to his depression. He visited me once for 4 weeks here in the Philippines and now we are planning for me to visit him for 3 months.

Is there anyone here who has a boyfriend under NAV too? I would like to get idea, advice, tips in this situation hopefully.

How did you prepare your first visit to Norway and the requirements in this situation?
Can an immediate family (his parents or sister and brother in law) can act as guarantor for the Guarantee Form?

I will stay at his house and he will provide food and other things I will be needing the whole duration btw. Just that the Guarantee Form is one of the requirement and bcoz he is under NAV, he can't provide it (as far as I know)

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks :-)

What is NAV?

NAV, or the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration. The people who is under this gets money for support since they can't work either permanent or temporary disability.

This is as far as I know so please do make clarification if i misunderstood it. Thanks

Some countries will allow people on welfare benefits to sponsor for visa purpose.  No idea about Norway though, but have you checked to be sure?

This page might be of interest to you..
http://www.udi.no/en/word-definitions/i … on-cases-/

Income requirement in family immigration cases

Approved income
income from employment
sickness benefit, disability pension or retirement pension from the National Insurance scheme  .. etc

Income that is not approved
social security benefits,

So, it may depend on exactly what benefit he is getting.

Yes i read and where I also found out that because he is under NAV, he can't provide the Guarantee Form as one of the requirement for visit visa.

He is unemployed due to his depression. I want to clear though that he is not a disabled person BUT he is on temporary disability for more than 10 years now.

I want to quote about what is NAV  "The Norwegian Labour and Welfare Organization is composed of a central agency and elements of the municipal social service systems. The Norwegian Labour and Welfare Organization helps provide social and economic security while encouraging a transition to activity and employment."

I found this from this site http://www.norway.ph/studywork/visaandr … gpPUuRdaSP

"DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FROM THE SPONSOR:  (NB: Documents must be sent directly to the applicant, not to the Embassy).

Proof of subsistence:
- Future income (e.g. work contract, pay slips) equivalent to civil service pay grade 8.
- Previous income (last year's tax return ('Ligningsoppgjør') equivalent to civil service pay grade 8
  - Confirmation from NAV that the sponsor has not received any social benefits during the last 12 months.
UDI Guarantee Forms stamped by the Norwegian Police should not be submitted for this type of application. "

We are only planning visit visa though not Engagement yet

Is it possible for the situation to go the other way around? Like he would be the once to visit you here?

MaroBautista wrote:

Is it possible for the situation to go the other way around? Like he would be the once to visit you here?

She said that he did visit her in the Philippines. Presumably she now wants to see what Norway is like.

It is a sensible thing before getting engaged or too involved.

@ABCDiamond thank you for explaining to @MaroBautista.

Yes it is really a sensible thing so we are taking step by step now. That's why even if it is possible to get married with visit visa, we are not taking that road yet. 4 weeks together on a vacation is different from living a normal daily basis for few months or a year. That's why the visit visa is our first step for our long term goal together. :)

We will get hold of UDI about this but it is also good to hear from couples who have had the same situation and went through the process.

Not been through the same process with Norway etc, but I have taken a girlfriend to Australia for a 3 month visit, a few years ago, and she didn't actually like it.  She ended up preferring to stay in the Philippines.  So it is a great idea to try living in a country for a decent time to see.

It ended a year later, but for other reasons.

Contact with me i give u all detail of Norway..

Moaz Naveed wrote:

Contact with me i give u all detail of Norway..

Have you done this visa to Norway yourself from the Philippines?

It's best to share the info on the forum so everyone who is interested can see, and maybe be helped with the info.

I see. Thank you for clearing things up. I wish you well on your plans with him.

If he only visited you once for four weeks how well do you know him. Now he wants you to spend your money to visit him. This story of NAV. sounds suspicious, maybe I am being cynical but please tread very carefully. The history of filipina/foreigner relationships is littered with such stories as yours and when you arrive there he has never seen you before and he has no-where for you to stay, you are stuck because you have no money to get home. Please research these stories on the internet before you get hurt. I hope I am wrong. Just trying to give helpful advice.

Ccchapo wrote:

If he only visited you once for four weeks how well do you know him. Now he wants you to spend your money to visit him. This story of NAV. sounds suspicious, maybe I am being cynical but please tread very carefully. The history of filipina/foreigner relationships is littered with such stories as yours and when you arrive there he has never seen you before and he has no-where for you to stay, you are stuck because you have no money to get home. Please research these stories on the internet before you get hurt. I hope I am wrong. Just trying to give helpful advice.

It's actually very common for it to happen that way, a short visit from the foreigner first.  But normally the man will be paying for the next trip and a return ticket is near enough compulsory on a visitor visa.

With the sponsor having made the guarantees, I doubt they could then turn round and say they don't know the person. 

In isolated occasions that could happen, but it is not something I have heard about myself.
But if it did happen, the local Embassy would help, and the Sponsorship support would come into effect enforced by the Immigration department of the country involved.

I admire you staying power in the root of his issues but first of all you need to consider Your welfare, and if this guy is under the NAV he has got some serious issues.  Sadly to say there are a lot of women who go abroad to troubled men and end up being harmed. Always remember  that
" a troubled past usually means a troubled future."   Being a Foreigner myself and meeting a lot of couples over here I can tell you that many of the guys I met have some issues, or they are the ones that could find a suitor in their own country if they stood on the corner covered in money. lol
I think every woman thinking of going abroad or serious about a foreign man should go through an agency in his country that checks their backrounds, criminal history, credit history, financial status, etc.  as most the time you are NOT getting what the guy is advertising himself to be.  I once read a survey that said 92% of the men thinks it is okay to lie to a foreign woman. (usually the younger men are worse).   Okay enough of that..... now as to your getting there.  A country will not pass a guy who is mentally ill, nor if they cant show years of enough income and no  criminal record.   My guess is this guy cant pass so that alone should tell u something.   U can get a stable and financially stable relative or friend to do it in his place but if the Govt finds out they will kick you out.  It is pretty hard to explain coming over for one man then being with another but it has been done.  Bottom line is it is going to take money and if there is enough money and people to help then u can work around things. I have seen so many stories though of  mentally ill guys getting women from abroad and they control their every move.  In every city we have gotten to know couples here we have also seen guys like that.  One cant even visit the Philippines and take her kids, another cant go to the store with the guy, and another he is a truck driver and the guy does not allow her out of the house while he is working.  So think hard as u never know for sure what u are getting into until u are there, we all want to believe the best but fact is u need stable minds to have a healthy relationship.  I wish you Blessings, Mike

Wow...I might get angry responses over this post, but read it first and look up the medical websites dealing with long term depression. This guy has not worked in 10 years because he is too depressed to function in ANY work environment!!!!! And she wants to marry him? Is she serious?

Severely depressed individuals can not be there -for anyone but themselves... They are not able to give you what YOU deserve in attention, compassion, tenderness,  understanding nor  LOVE, when their lives are one big bundle of pain and depression. Do you understand ?

These are the common signs of depression.  Remember after 10 years this guy is long term. The following is from a Medical link about men with depression. I also called a Doctor relative of mine (mental health professional) to verify this opinion... He laughted.. Says codependency is a big problem.. Look it up.

Here is a statement from a Canadian Mental Health site explaining the 3 most common signs of depression in men.

Men are more likely to deny his feelings, hide them from himself and others, or try to mask them with other behaviors. The three most common signs of depression in men are:

Physical pain. Sometimes depression in men shows up as physical symptoms—such as backache, frequent headaches, sleep problems, sexual dysfunction, or digestive disorders—that don't respond to normal treatment.

Anger. This could range from irritability, sensitivity to criticism, or a loss of your sense of humor to road rage, a short temper, or even violence. Some men become abusive, controlling, verbally or physically abusive to wives, children, or other loved ones. 

Reckless behavior. A man suffering from depression may start exhibiting escapist or risky behavior. This could mean pursuing dangerous sports, driving recklessly, or engaging in unsafe sex. You might drink too much, abuse drugs, or gamble compulsively.

Yea. All the signs a dysfunctional woman looks for in a new relationship...... If you are already married to someone and they get sick physically or mentally, that's a different   and much more  complex story.

Don't ask for help screwing up your  life , on a website full of strangers, ..go to a local mental health practitioner and ask why YOU don't see the problem in this scenario.

Wow.

GDT wrote:

Wow...I might get angry responses over this post, but read it first and look up the medical websites dealing with long term depression. This guy has not worked in 10 years because he is too depressed to function in ANY work environment!!!!! And she wants to marry him? Is she serious?

Severely depressed individuals can not be there -for anyone but themselves... They are not able to give you what YOU deserve in attention, compassion, tenderness,  understanding nor  LOVE, when their lives are one big bundle of pain and depression. Do you understand ?

These are the common signs of depression.  Remember after 10 years this guy is long term. The following is from a Medical link about men with depression. I also called a Doctor relative of mine (mental health professional) to verify this opinion... He laughted.. Says codependency is a big problem.. Look it up.

Here is a statement from a Canadian Mental Health site explaining the 3 most common signs of depression in men.

Men are more likely to deny his feelings, hide them from himself and others, or try to mask them with other behaviors. The three most common signs of depression in men are:

Physical pain. Sometimes depression in men shows up as physical symptoms—such as backache, frequent headaches, sleep problems, sexual dysfunction, or digestive disorders—that don't respond to normal treatment.

Anger. This could range from irritability, sensitivity to criticism, or a loss of your sense of humor to road rage, a short temper, or even violence. Some men become abusive, controlling, verbally or physically abusive to wives, children, or other loved ones. 

Reckless behavior. A man suffering from depression may start exhibiting escapist or risky behavior. This could mean pursuing dangerous sports, driving recklessly, or engaging in unsafe sex. You might drink too much, abuse drugs, or gamble compulsively.

Yea. All the signs a dysfunctional woman looks for in a new relationship...... If you are already married to someone and they get sick physically or mentally, that's a different   and much more  complex story.

Don't ask for help screwing up your  life , on a website full of strangers, ..go to a local mental health practitioner and ask why YOU don't see the problem in this scenario.

Wow.

I agree with you sir. He is there for a reason. If he can't even help himself to get out of his situation, how she expect him to attend for her needs. I think our OP here should assess first the situation before venturing into something that is very risky.

Depression in Norway is very common, and is the main cause of around a third of all sick leaves.

A report in 2009 said: "Just one day after Norway was ranked as the best country in the world in which to live comes news that roughly half of all Norwegians will suffer depression or anxiety at some point in their lives"

Depression is an easy thing to diagnose, too easy in some countries.