Process for dependent (family reunion)

Oi! I have a question, and sorry in advance if I am cross-posting. So, I am on temporary visa (VITEM I) in Brazil for 2 years (but there are possibilities for extension). I am in Brazil since 6 months and my husband wants to join me as a dependent. He asked info regarding the process in the Brazilian embassy in Dublin, but they told him they can't help him and that this embassy is for Brazilian people (like, what?!?!). Does anybody have experience in similar situation? Does he need to apply for a visa in advance? Or he just enters Brazil on his passport (carrying some specific documents, perhaps??) and he registers in the Federal Police under my visa??

Hello,

It is not the Embassy that issues visas, but rather the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Ireland. I don't know if your husband can be issued a Temporary Visa as a dependent, since your visa is only temporary. The Family Reunion Visa is for those seeking permanent visas, who are dependents of a Brazilian citizen.

Your husband would need to contact the Consulado-Geral to find out if he qualifies for a visa. Otherwise he can enter Brazil as a tourist on his Irish or UK passport. However, he can only be in Brazil for 90 days as a tourist, with a yearly limit of 180 days. Also he would not be permitted to work or study while in Brazil.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James,
The confusing part is that the embassy in Dublin has a consulate section, where they issue visas. I will ask the Federal Police in my city, as they advice him but I don't see any light. Do you know where else I could ask information?

Thank you very much
Vasiliki

No, if you can't find someone at the Consulado that knows what the heck they're doing then the Policia Federal will be your best bet.

Cheers,
James

Hahah, sounds like a maze! Thanks once again for offering your expertise.