Driving

Hi. Can someone give me us advise.

The driving here is insane. Super insane. I'm from London and am not used to this type of suicidal driving.

What should I do?

Welcome to the Kuwait Demolition Derby.

The best you can do is to stay alert and avoid situations where you can get killed. My motorcycle riding experience turned out to be handy because on a bike you tend to be alert about everything that is happening 360 degrees around you and I am doing the same here while driving a car. Insanity can come from any angle at any time without warning.

Be alert and don't assume anything. I assumed that a person will not change lanes without checking if it is occupied by me. I was wrong. I also assumed that a person will not violently ram into me from behind when stopped in heavy traffic. I was also wrong.

With experience you will learn how to select less dangerous routes.

Get a biggest car there is to improve your visibility and not get run over.

Good luck.

If you know of a English Expat, who has been here for some time. Is used to driving here. Get them to sit in with you, and take you to quieter roads. So you can gain confidence.

Hope this helps.

Awesome advise. Appreciate it.

Welcome :)

At first I really thought I would buy a decent car, now i'm just going to buy like a Pajero. Thanks for your advance.

On another note, can I drive with a UK licence if i'm still on a travel visa?

No point of getting anything nice or, God forbid, new. Just get something that is safe, relatively reliable, cheap to maintain and big to increase your chances of survival.

Yes, you can drive with your UK license while on a visit visa. However, it is expected that you have a Kuwaiti driving license the very second you get your permanent residence, even though the procedure takes months.

You have to get a one year International licence, which you get from a Post Office in the UK.

Richard.aaron wrote:

Hi. Can someone give me us advise.

The driving here is insane. Super insane. I'm from London and am not used to this type of suicidal driving.

What should I do?

Driving In India is much crazier and roller coaster suicidal ! but yeah .. kuwait is getting crazier with speedy cars ..

i JUST got back from Egypt; the first thing i did was look out the window at the crowded roundabout on sunday morning and think, it is good ot be back to organized traffic. might not be a consolation, but trust me, kuwait is better than other countries when it comes to roads. what would u say if i told u in some countries the "law" switches off at 11:30pm and its a free for all till 6AM when the cops return to the streets?

my uncle has a saying, its in arabic so i'll translate "if you are afraid, dont drive, and if you drive, dont be afraid", siting as a passenger can be scary, but as the driver you are more in control. follow the rules yourself and you'll have no problems.