How Expats Feel in Central Eastern Europe? filtered results

I have filtered down a global survey to find out how expat feel about Central-Eastern Europe (including Hungary).
Really interested about your opinion, especially the parts involving Hungary such as:

Do you think Hungary is a worst place for Working Abroad than Romania, Czech Republic or Poland?
Also, is Housing Costs so much better, renders housing more affordable in Hungary than the rest of the world?

May want to read the article first: linkedin.com/pulse/how-expats-feel-central-eastern-europe-dezso-papp-dip-mgmt-open-

Hi dezpapp,

I will invite you to please drop an advert in the Looking for testimonies in Budapest section :)

Thank you

Maximilien

Hi Maximilien, not sure I understand if this is related to the posting. It is a sentiment survey that I have filtered and created a blog post about. I am not owner of the survey, nor affiliiated ;)

Housing is ok here in Hungary price wise .
We bought our flat in Budapest over 10 years ago and with the dollar exchange rate and so many places for sale now in the city we actually have lost money on our investment.
We are retired and hate to lose money since we long longer are making much money.
Would like to sell and leave Hungary. Sooner or later we will have to do something about it.
Maybe the market will go up here with all these new people flooding in, just not sure how many more years it will take.
It could be that some Hungarians who have been working outside of Hungary will return home when wages drop in western Europe because of the flood of new cheap labor coming in from the middle east.
Things look there they will be changing in Europe soon, within a short time.
I have no idea really about jobs in other eastern-European countries as we do not work.
My cousins live in Poland, are locals and all have lovely homes and good jobs. They are all professional people, doctors and teachers. As far as unskilled labor goes, no place is great for the average working person, not even the US.

You could have lost on your real estate investment dollars many places around the globe. Especially if you put them in a property just before the credit crunch tsunami. Budapest is maybe slower to come back, but now making leaps.

Also, there is a difference between living in a property (i.e. you only have the valuation to go for you) and enjoying some yield (i.e. rented apartment). Albeit the latter involves some work or dealing with one of the 'mighty' property management Co.

We could never live in our flat again if we rented it out. So many of our neighbors had bad experiences with renters. Trashed the flats or didn't pay on time.
Those rental agents charge about one months rent towards their management fee, not too bad but then you have to pay the gov. taxes on your rental etc. In the end it's not worth the hassle for us.
If we move it will be pretty far away, not able to oversea our own management.
We came here for adventure and at least we had that.

The country is beautiful and property and day to day basics are cheap. I enjoy having a little tanya in the countryside but as far as I am concerned it is just a holiday home and not something I would like to live 24/7.
Budapest is far more dynamic and I hope when I take early retirement I will enjoy having a good base there.
Budapest also has good transport links and I plan to visit other European countries as time goes by.
Younger people who have to work all the time and build a career are still far better off someplace else . Sometimes the bureaucratic systems seem to be designed to make life more difficult for example sorting out tax issues, importing cars home ownership etc. A big one is finding honest builders, plumbers and trades people.

Don't really have plans on ever buying anything again, just would love to cash out and enjoy spending it all.
Too late to make a killing in real estate investments.
Bought in the mid 1980's in S. Cal. then prices went sky high, made a killing on our investment in less then 9 years, more then doubled our money and if we wouldn't of been in sch a hurry to sell out we would be looking at a house worth close to a mill, in US dollars.
Not business savy, just go with the flow.
The issue with selling out in HU is the exchange of forints back into useful (for our needs) dollars, buying back dollars from forints will leave us broke.