VN Birth Certificate

Please help, does anybody know where do I begin to search or apply for my Birth certificate and/or have my birth day corrected?  Do I need a lawyer first?  I left Saigon with a faked ID and the wrong BD in 1975, immigrated to USA, it has been troubling me since.  I am planning to return in Jan 2016 for two months to get it resolve.  Please help, TIA
Michael

Have you contacted the Embassy in DC or one of the consulates in San Francisco or Houston? They could get you started.  I assume from your posting that you are a southerner.  I know there is a government office in HCMC that is specially tasked with providing assistance to Viet Kieu.   Maybe someone here can recall the address and point you there.

I know you are not alone with this problem.  I know a woman who faces working an extra two years to receive Social Security in the US because her mother modified her three children's ID's to make her brother appear too young for the ARVN draft and hence eligible to leave with their step-father in 1975.  Perhaps you have the same problem.

THIGV:  Thank you for your reply. The US Gov. can't do anything unless I have something from VN Gov. which is the Birth Cert. with correct birthday,  One person said to apply for my Birth cert. at VN provincial Justice Department in HCMC, that's what I will do first, then try to contest with the date correction later.  I thought about hire a  lawyer but just don't really know it will works.
Which branch of government office in HCMC that is specially tasked with providing assistance to Viet Kieu?
Hey, HNL?  I used to live in Kailua windward and working for St. Frances Hospice Home care, left there 10 years ago, and I missed so, so much.  Where are you now, in Saigon? I am currently in Madison, North of Alabama.
Michael
[email protected]

Maybe you misunderstood but my suggestion to contact the Vietnamese Embassy or Consulate was not that they could give you a corrected birth certificate but that they could inform you of how to do it when you are in Vietnam.  I wish I could remember the location of the office that I mentioned earlier.  I will post it if I do.

I think hiring a local lawyer would be a good idea.  The problem is finding the right one.  Besides giving advice, they know which wheels to grease.  Normally, VN citizens must apply for a birth certificate in the district where they are listed in the family's sổ hộ khẩu, not where they were born.  However if you were born in Saigon, there is a better chance that the original records exist than if you were born in a rural area.

This may sound a little cynical but just as you left Vietnam with a fake ID in 1975, you could probably get a fake birth certificate today with whatever name and dates you like.  It sounds like you may no longer have many close relatives in Vietnam but if you do, they could probably tell you how and how much.

THIGV:  Yes, if I only know what and where to start, I was born in SGN, so I guess I will find out somehow, I don't speak Vietnamese, which will be a problematic too.  I was reading the VN Embassy website, the part that pertain birth certificate, is in Vietnamese.  If you know anymore, please let me know and thank you for your time.
Michael

Corkyboy wrote:

THIGV:  Yes, if I only know what and where to start, I was born in SGN, so I guess I will find out somehow, I don't speak Vietnamese, which will be a problematic too.  I was reading the VN Embassy website, the part that pertain birth certificate, is in Vietnamese.  If you know anymore, please let me know and thank you for your time.
Michael

This is where I would start:

http://kieubaoviet.vn/

I would send these guys an e-mail before I started trying to work with a VN lawyer. The website is in VN and English. I can't personally vouch for them but they have been recommended  by a few members that have used there services in the past.

Budman1 wrote:

This is where I would start:

http://kieubaoviet.vn/

I would send these guys an e-mail before I started trying to work with a VN lawyer. The website is in VN and English. I can't personally vouch for them but they have been recommended  by a few members that have used there services in the past.

Thanks Budman.  That's the place I couldn't recall the name of.  I only knew of it because I went there by taxi with a visiting friend from Honolulu so my recall wasn't too detailed.  Their website looks like they definitely would be a good place for Corkyboy to start.

Corkyboy:  Since you say you don't speak Vietnamese, I assume that you emigrated at a very young age.  Please excuse what may seem like an odd and personal question but do you know your true birth name and the names of your parents?  It will be pretty tough without that basic info no matter what country.  At any rate, good luck to you.  I think Budman sent a good link.  You need to buy him a Bud.

Corkyboy on another note I noticed that your coming back in Jan to start sorting this out. Tet starts this year on the 8th of Feb and for at least a week or so before and after that your really not going to be able to get much of anything accomplished here.

Budman1:  Thank you for your advise.  I liked your icon picture. 
Michael

I also found a personal website, somewhat similar to what I wanted to accomplish, it may helps other in the same situation.  Thank you Everyone for that you do and know.  Michael
http://hello-saigon.com/2012/07/30/how- … n-vietnam/

The information on the website has nothing to do with your situation. Did you even read it before posting here?