Male Teachers - What do you wear to class

Hi Guys,

I was told that male teachers in Vietnam usually have to wear pants, shirt and a tie when teaching at a school, can any current or past male teachers give me a insight as to what they wear or how they dress?

I imagine if I was in a classroom with no air conditioning in pants, shirt and a tie I'd be dripping with sweat lol.

Thanks

Has air conditioning not made it to Vietnam?
How odd.

http://m.thanhniennews.com/society/viet … 32984.html

Well I imagine some of the poorer provinces don't have the luxury of air conditioning Fred.

If they have some dress code you should follow if you want to work with them.
Otherwise you can just wear pants and shirt. I don't think you are asking to wear a short and Tshirt in classroom as a Teacher  :)

You should wear a pants with a shirt, or sometime with T-shirt, but no shorts :D.

BTW, sometimes I want to wear shorts or short dress when I go to class :D, I asked my students on my fb, then they say: hangout is ok, but I can't study if you wear like that :D!

Iwonder wrote:

Well I imagine some of the poorer provinces don't have the luxury of air conditioning Fred.

Very likely, but such schools are unlikely to hire expat teachers.
Unless you want to do free of charge visits

I suggest you buy a cotton white shirt here or pink or blue, and black trousers, we just wear tie on Monday for public school ceremony in the morning.

You can't go wrong with dark pants, a white shirt and a conservative tie.  I've worked at schools that require a tie, but they usually paid well enough to make it worth the discomfort/sweating.

Vietnamese teachers rarely wear ties, but don't be surprised if you're expected to wear one, since you'll earn roughly 5 to 10 times what they do.

Wearing shorts can cause quite a stir, as I discovered in my first year.  I was going to play basketball with my students during a break, so I changed into shorts/t-shirt.  I came out of the locker room and an older female teacher spotted me and then appeared as if she were going to pass out.  It was a performance worthy of a People's Choice Award, but not Oscar worthy.  Some of these folks really know how to put on a show when it comes to cultural miscues/misunderstandings and she was no exception.

Native teachers have been working the less affluent provinces for quite some time now.  The government is picking up the tab and has been pouring money into the "2020 program", which is supposed to get the overall English proficiency levels  on par with Singapore. It's been a disaster from it's inception and is shaping up to be a full-blown catastrophe by the time 2020 rolls around.

In the past, my lecturer always wore white/bright kaki pants and black/black T-shirt/shirt, and I really liked his style, and he taugh so well, I am never absent any his class, hahaha :D. No need to always too formal, just wear something you feel comfortable, but not shorts for class.

Thats why when I have class, I always try to wear politely enough, but comfortable; knew-length dress/skirts, pants with T-shirt/shirt. When I go to office with no class, I can wear short dresses.

http://www.discountuniformsonline.com/ProdImages/t475_300.jpg

ngattt wrote:

BTW, sometimes I want to wear shorts or short dress when I go to class :D, I asked my students on my fb, then they say: hangout is ok, but I can't study if you wear like that :D!

I think they have a point.
However, feel free to email me any photos of you dressed in that manner so I can assess the suitability for school.

More seriously.
Most expat teachers in Asia get very well paid, so there it's fair to expect them to dress well.

Teacher Mark wrote:

You can't go wrong with dark pants, a white shirt and a conservative tie.  I've worked at schools that require a tie, but they usually paid well enough to make it worth the discomfort/sweating.

Vietnamese teachers rarely wear ties, but don't be surprised if you're expected to wear one, since you'll earn roughly 5 to 10 times what they do.

Wearing shorts can cause quite a stir, as I discovered in my first year.  I was going to play basketball with my students during a break, so I changed into shorts/t-shirt.  I came out of the locker room and an older female teacher spotted me and then appeared as if she were going to pass out.  It was a performance worthy of a People's Choice Award, but not Oscar worthy.  Some of these folks really know how to put on a show when it comes to cultural miscues/misunderstandings and she was no exception.

Native teachers have been working the less affluent provinces for quite some time now.  The government is picking up the tab and has been pouring money into the "2020 program", which is supposed to get the overall English proficiency levels  on par with Singapore. It's been a disaster from it's inception and is shaping up to be a full-blown catastrophe by the time 2020 rolls around.

Considering 2020 is less than 5 years away,maybe the gov. forgot to add another zero on the end?

Fred: I don't want you to have heart attack, hahaha :D. BTW, I always try to be serious as much as I can, whenever I go out with people that have some men, just don't want to make them misunderstand :D!

jimbream wrote:

Considering 2020 is less than 5 years away,maybe the gov. forgot to add another zero on the end?

Hahaha, when our university had this program, we could learn English and didn't have to pay fee, but not many people wanted to join, because the classes in the every working day's evening, or all weekends. They are so busy and tired enough because of their stuffs.
And I don't know when they can listen/speak/write English. Even I studied every English classes in that program, and my Toeic's score was not low, but its still hard for me to speak English.

You pose a great and complex question far deeper than the obvious err decent trousers, shirt and sometimes a tie geez......I wear  a bikini..

I'm a teacher here in the state schools in HCMC as well as working for private smaller language centres. State schools don't have air conditioners and the student numbers are generally around 40-50 students. I personally always wear a shirt, pants and shoes, but no tie (only because my neck is too wide to button up my top shirt button lol).

I've been a teacher from Australia for many years and I would never think of going into any classroom (in any country) in shorts, a t-shirt or thongs. I feel you are a teacher and need to look the part. Do I sweat in the state schools? of course I sweat haha, but you get paid enough and you're home soon enough to take a shower.

p.s The smaller language centres usually do have air cons, but work there tends to be evenings and weekends, whereas in the state schools you can work from 7am to 5pm.

My school men wear shorts but the rules are changing to long pants next semester.
Key is cotton. Cotton underwear especially. Avoid anything synthetic and look for loose fit in shirts. Lightweight fabrics with loose weave in the cloth allow more air circulation.

If you can wear a polo shirt some people like to wear the golfer's style synthetic polo but I always find cotton cooler.
Another helpful tip is to carry around a cotton bandanna or handkerchief so you can mop off your sweat.
I also change underwear to fresh ones midday and reapply the deodorant which sweats off quickly. Roll on is best because the solid sticks can melt in heat and leave residue on your clothing which embeds your sweaty smell in the clothing.

Also avoid microfiber bed sheets. i was shocked to see them here as they are so much hotter than cotton!!!!!

trousers and a long sleeve shirt...wearing a tie is dependent on the school (if an international school then a tie is mandatory)

If you want to be treated like a professional, look like one.  That means dress pants, dress shirt (fairly conservative, probably long-sleeved), a decent tie and decent shoes.  (Some language schools require all of the above and some private day schools even specify long-sleeved white shirt and school tie.) Add neatly trimmed hair, a warm smile and caring attitude and, assuming you know how to teach,  you will be respected and welcomed by administrators, Vietnamese colleagues and students.  Yes, you may be dressed slightly more formal than Vietnamese teachers in some public schools.  I have taught here for five years in different types of schools. Believe me, in Vietnam appearance is important.  And some public school classrooms will be stifling hot.  If you are here to earn beer money and live it up, go home.  If you are here to serve, you'll adapt and find it's all worth it.

I'd have to agree with your students.  I'm not even your student and I'm already having a difficult time concentrating.

Hi Mike,
I'm an Auzzie (male) and I'm wanting to move to VN to teach and learn. I'm Tesol and IELTS qualified. I sure would like your advice on how to get started there.
I'd really appreciate any advice
cheers
Kim

Teaching in Vietnam is said to be a nobel profession. They have a "Teachers Day" once a year and students pool money and buy their teacher a gift. Teachers are examples to the students and parents...so all eyes maybe on you.

My experiences in the places i taught and lectured have been formal, i.e., nice slakes, shirt and tie. That's in Universities, Grammar Schools, English centers, and business Lecture sites I've had the pleasure to be in.

Be aware the schools expect you to represent them in a professional manner if you are seen by the parents of students.

I try to think where in the world wouldn't a teacher not dress properly?

Maybe your vision of Vietnam is a jungle style environment in a grass hut?

There are lots of schools online and you can request the schools guidlines on dress code.

I myself can't remember having a teacher of mine dressed casually. Good luck

I teach at a top university in Saigon - we do not have air conditioning. The 40+ students and I sweat it out with the windows open and the fans on.

Usually shorts are not ok, then again I go some times to teaching in my school with shorts and polo shirt. First year they told me that should wear pants.. Now they just don't care. They have aircons but they are rarely on, mostly they just use fans.

But most places are ok with some long pants (even jeans) and shirt or poloshirt..

I've lived in Vietnam for nearly 12 years. Up until last December, I did not own a 'pair of shoes', wore only sandals.  I still don't wear shoes often.  As to the 'pants', wear clean, ironed blue or black jeans.  At times I've worn a button down short-sleeve shirt...I won't wear a tie!  Other times a pull-over 3 button shirt ironed and tucked in. 
I've taught at universities, basic ESL centers and have taught with the same dress code.  I'm not a 'dress up doll' and will be comfortable in my own way.  I've even told Directors that I'd be more than happy to wear what ever they like me to wear...if they provide it and care to maintain such.  I have ruined several pair of long pants in my early days in Vietnam due to oil stains and high water on the streets! 
I've had my own teaching establishment for over a year now.  I wear what I want and have no problems with parents, students or young adults.

If your teaching can produce people that can confidently speak and write English very well, then it doesn't matter if you wear a clown suit to class.  That, of course, is barring any requirements made of you by your school.  Not being a teacher, this is just an opinion from a guy on the outside looking in.

Thank you...I believe I have...TOEIC, TOEFL and Bus. Eng.
In the 15 months I've assisted 5 for TOEFL to enter college in back in the States...and have had at least 5 go from a 530-550 to over 795 in TOEIC...I'm not one to play games...very strict and demand they come to the class prepared...or tell them to leave.
Previous to that I taught two IT business' in HCMC for a period of almost 3 years before I moved to DaNang.
Most of the schools/directors I've interviewed over the past 4 years have failed my requirements.  Being a 'dress up doll' was also one of them...representing a facility has not been one of them either.  I represent myself.  Too many facilities desire dollars...I demand their knowledge.

Check with your employer my employer said nothing until I asked.  They said I had to wear business attire, look like a professor and wear a tie every day.  I wear black dockers, white short sleeve VN style silk button down shirts, black belt and black shoes and socks.  And for the first two days I wore a tie until I got my signed contract and then I never wore a tie again because not a single teacher at the school wears a tie.  I work at rural school for now... no A/C, 25-36 students per small classroom, very very hot, muddy when rains, etc.  In our school slacks, shirt and sandals are allowed.  I drink around 32 oz. of fluids to make it through a full teaching day and I am really glad I bought the VN silk shirts they are amazing at wicking the sweat away and never look soaked.  The sales lady who sold me in Siagon was correct how good they are. The children are very respectful and generous to teachers and thus I'm glad to give them what they expect in appearance.  Soon I will switch to some nice sandals, no socks, as the hot season is coming.  Took three weeks to get used to the heat, now not so bad, fluids fluids fluids though...

Wow Anthony64. A resume Doesn't address the question.

Trying to be funny here but have you tried wearing a thong and a wife beater to class ?

Alexter Balexter...I not only ask questions, I direct what I will do and why...which is not what they expect one to do.  I'm the commodity...not them.  I'm not doing what I'm doing because I need to...it is because I enjoy seeing those accomplish their dreams...
Perhaps there should be another area:  "Any additional comments..."
Hypo...no...but I have worn colored T-shirts and shorts to a class and on more than one occasion.
Enjoy...

very nice
many thanks

Can't really see any correlation between teacher dressing and how good teacher is at work.

Finland has one of the highest ranking school systems and there teachers can wear what they want work, so you can dress like James Bond and still suck at teaching.. Or you can wear shorts and be brilliant at teaching. ;)

Personally I like wearing nice shorts and shirt, or polo shirt. Long pants in winter when I don't sweat like a pig.

Wald0 wrote:

Can't really see any correlation between teacher dressing and how good teacher is at work.

Many consider it to be a matter of respect.

Teachers' clothes make absolutely no difference to their ability in the classroom, but could be an issue when it comes to how people view any given teacher.
Many in Asian countries see westerners as over rich outsiders with no respect for much, even themselves, and a badly dressed teacher will enhance that reputation.
Turning up in reasonable attire is being respectful to the school, workmates and parents.

However, that's just my opinion, not a reason to have me hanged, drawn and and quartered.

Tut, tut, my furry friend...       :happy:     I agree with Waldo:

"Many consider it to be a matter of respect"      (..& as many don't...)
..but being an errant idealist like you (?)

" that's just my opinion, not a reason to have me hanged, drawn and and quartered"

..and as much I would like to begin to rant about how 'Teachers'  (generally) help
young ones open their minds and ask the correct questions...  (sadly) too many
learn too quickly to become dumbed down, devious and desperate (the DDD trilogy)
by watching the vivid examples of 'Adults'.   ..with  Capital 'AS's...    (..I won't! )

For before they learn the reality, children have the nous to know Hypocrisy.
They copy as we do; not as we say...   (Then, some turn into 'people' )                :o
So it is equally obvious as to why they choose the easier path;   (as we did..(?)

Some of us escaped: E.I. is now held to be more valid than I.Q.

Just me?  No.  Our woodwork teacher often wore the same overalls to teach
English in the next lesson, and he held greater respect than (too) many of the
straight-laced (and pompous) poofs we had to put up with.

..and you..?   You help us feel all warm & fuzzy inside too!

..probably from the wool you keep trying to pull over our eyes..?

You're not Baaaa d.d.d, Fred!   Your Avatar is drawn that way...    :|

* ps.  Past perfect is 'Hung', but I agree, 'hanged' sounds much more dramatic...

Bazza139 wrote:

Tut, tut, my furry friend...       :happy:     I agree with Waldo:

"Many consider it to be a matter of respect"      (..& as many don't...)
..but being an errant idealist like you (?)

I'm not really an idealist, but that sort of works. You should dress appropriately for any occasion, a reasonable shirt and trousers in school, and black tie for dinner.
I was brought up all strict and proper, sometimes still sticking my pinky out when drinking a cup of tea.

Bazza139 wrote:

..and as much I would like to begin to rant about how 'Teachers'  (generally) help
young ones open their minds and ask the correct questions...  (sadly) too many
learn too quickly to become dumbed down, devious and desperate (the DDD trilogy)
by watching the vivid examples of 'Adults'.   ..with  Capital 'AS's...    (..I won't! ).

If a classroom doesn't encourage creativity and critical thinking, it's crap.

Bazza139 wrote:

Just me?  No.  Our woodwork teacher often wore the same overalls to teach
English in the next lesson, and he held greater respect than (too) many of the
straight-laced (and pompous) poofs we had to put up with..

That would be reasonable as he had two jobs and can't keep getting changed every second lesson.

Bazza139 wrote:

* ps.  Past perfect is 'Hung', but I agree, 'hanged' sounds much more dramatic...

Not in this case as there is an exception in English for this one.

http://grammarist.com/usage/hanged-hung/

Hung is the past tense and past participle of hang in most of that verb's senses. For instance, yesterday you might have hung a picture on the wall, hung a right turn, and hung your head in sorrow. The exception comes where hang means to put to death by hanging. The past tense and past participle of hang in this sense, and only in this sense, is hanged.

I come from an era where hanging was still a hot topic in the UK so I know these things.
Your use applies to a picture and dingle dangles, but only if the aforementioned dingle dangle's owner is well hung.

Good that you picked up on my tricky trap, context.

Past participle, but still, hung out to dry...

..and too many jokes to mention...     ;)

I have no sense of humour.

honest :D

But teachers should still dress properly in the classroom, as students should wear a nice uniform.

Yeah, Virginia Satir's 'Should' list.   I got that.     :idontagree:

Still, like the (majority?) of us bereft of...

You too, come here for the humour...       :blink:

Waldo's #32 gets my vote        :happy:

The OP mentioned the lack of AC, most school that can afford a native speaker tend to have AC so the rooms are pretty cold.
That cash generally means better off parents, and that is likely to mean they expect the teacher to dress reasonably  because they're paying fees (in part) to get professional staff, and that means staff who conduct themselves properly, including being well dressed.

Whilst researchers from places like Harvard Business School might very well make a lot of nice claims about being dressed in an unexpected way helps boost authority and social standing, the parents commonly expect you to wear decent clothes, not look like a lost tourist who forgot his backpack.
Apart from a few oddball bits of research not really aimed at a school environment, the rest all agree reasonable teacher dress is essential for the teacher's position in the school and has a major effect on the students' perception of any given teacher, changing their willingness to engage in the learning process, also changing their level of respect for that teacher.

Call me an old fuddy duddy if you like, but I believe in dressing properly in a professional situation.
Standards are slipping in so many ways, but I believe teachers can give the students direction by dressing properly, and that is just as much part of learning as anything in anyone's curriculum.

..and as much as I hate to reiterate, O furry fuddy...
You still need to pick yer socks up!

" Call me an old fuddy duddy if you like, but I believe in dressing properly in a professional situation.
Standards are slipping in so many ways, but I believe teachers can give the students direction by dressing properly, and that is just as much part of learning as anything in anyone's curriculum "

The Latin prefix 'Re', when attached to cognition, becomes the wordless sutra;

Recognition.    The classic perception, and yes, presentation is 'marketing'.

I am (well, sometimes...) a well-meaning idealist too, and all I was (trying to)
point out is that we all discern the difference between integrity and artifice.

As did Waldo too.

As an aside, I often tell them why tattoos are self-denigrating.   The reason why
you don't see any bumper stickers on a Rolls-Royce or Ferrari is quality.

..it speaks for itself...       Even children recognise that.      :cool:

The Latin prefix 'Re', when attached to cognition, becomes the wordless sutra;

I prefer the kama sort