Common law partner (no marriage) hold at least a resident permit

Hi

I am a resident already in MRU and I would like to have a common law partner (no marriage) hold at least a resident permit even if it needs to be renewed yearly. Is it possible?

What are the conditions?

Hello there RV1901,

Welcome on board  :)

Since you posted on an inactive thread, i created a new topic from your post on the Mauritius forum so that you may get some feedback.

All the best,
Bhavna

yes it is possible, your status of resident is under - retired, work... the application can be made at BOI

- op.investmauritius.com/Download/CL_Dependents_Jan14.pdf

RV1901 wrote:

Hi

I am a resident already in MRU and I would like to have a common law partner (no marriage) hold at least a resident permit even if it needs to be renewed yearly. Is it possible?

What are the conditions?

Since you are a resident already, why is there a need for resident permit?

or do you want your  common law partner to get a resident permit?

BTW:  Mauritius does not recognize common law partnership

I am a resident so I do not need the residence permit but I would like my partner to get that. So how to get the common law partner?

First of all, it is applicable in MRU as per : http://www.investmauritius.com/faqs/occ … ermit.aspx

Second of all: I first need to know how to apply or prove that I have a common law partner? And then how to apply for my partners Residence Permit?

Thank you Bhavna.

I appreciate the same.

RV1901 wrote:

First of all, it is applicable in MRU as per : http://www.investmauritius.com/faqs/occ … ermit.aspx

Second of all: I first need to know how to apply or prove that I have a common law partner? And then how to apply for my partners Residence Permit?

It is also written in that FAQ:
Evidence of cohabitation should be produced for a common law partner.

So you will have to either do it in your country of origin or get one from your Embassy ( you will have to enquire with them) and see whether the BOI will accept. 
Why don't you call or go to the BOI to enquire for your case ?

I  was in the same situation.  My partner got a residents  permit for 3 years and had to apply for  a dependant resident permit for me. We are not married and they said that we should get  a  common law parter certificate.  We explained that we are from the UK  ( I  do not know which country  you are from) but in the UK,  we do not recognise  common law partnership  so it was not possible to get a 'certificate '. In the end they  accepted a sworn affidavit stating that we had been living together as common law partners. If you go to the BOI they will give you a checklist of what is required.  I now have a dependant resident  permit. good luck

Hello there. You can be my common law partner.

@Mosaya: Lol, Lir ban message avant la ta. (Lol read the above messages )

@Carol29: thanks so much. It is interesting to know this but unfortunately it seems to be applicable only for foreign nationals. I met a Lawyer lately in this case and was advised that MRU citizen cannot apply for common law partner.. it is specially not possible if the law partners are of same sex.

mauritius does not recognise the common law partner.  the application must be made on purpose and justified. 

Thanks

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : please register your professional services in the business directory - advertisement is not allowed on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi also have a 3 year occupation permit and residence visa. Which form did you have to fill in and can I get an affidavit in Mauritius for my common law. I carry a South African passport and she has a Czech passport. Her tourist visa expires end of July 2019. Kind regards Graeme